Sales logistics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what would happen to big ant's cash flow if everyone bought from their website??

So they would have to up front buy additional bandwidth, potentially employ additional it staff, buy more powerful servers including back up and redundant servers for load balancing, potentially open various multi-currency (fee paying accounts), possibly a different/more expensive transactioal system. All this is expense up front. People browsing the site but not buying still cost them money if they have a traffic-based web plan.

And they get the money in drips and drabs.

Or, a distributor comes up and says "i am forecasting 50k sales in my territory in the first 3 months wholesale cost $40, that's 200k, here is my 60% deposit, we can revisit additional orders in 2 months post release". (Disclaimer - i made up all of those figures but they are illustrative.)

And you wonder into GAME see DBC on the shelves and think, i'm paid next week i will buy it then and Ross already has your money anyway.

As i say "middle men" serve a purpose, or they wouldn't exist. They are not blood suckers. They provide better cash flow, and less up front costs.

I know he explained in a PM it’s all cool. Wasn’t meaning no offence to him either his intentions were good if a bit blurred at first.

I know Dakota you meant no offence your intentions were also good too, Cheers man

Do you know what would happen to big ant's cash flow if everyone bought from their website??

So they would have to up front buy additional bandwidth, potentially employ additional it staff, buy more powerful servers including back up and redundant servers for load balancing, potentially open various multi-currency (fee paying accounts), possibly a different/more expensive transactioal system. All this is expense up front. People browsing the site but not buying still cost them money if they have a traffic-based web plan.

All of which Steam does for you for a reasonable percentage, simultaneously putting you in the largest marketplace for PC gaming.

And this is ONLY PC (a very small percentage of the market) - There's no way of cutting out either MS or Sony as middle men. :-)

a distributor comes up and says "i am forecasting 50k sales in my territory in the first 3 months wholesale cost $40, that's 200k,

Scratches head..crickets chirping...

*oh dear she's all falling apart now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread