Semifinalists?

Which teams do you think will reach the semifinals of the tournament?

• Total voters

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You can't have SL, Australia and India in the semis at the same time... (well unless Australia lose to Bangladesh in such a way that Pakistan get knocked out).

Dabi

Club Captain
Pak & SA from Group E (NZ and Eng could come through but my bets are on these two)

Aus & Ind/SL from F. (Don't think WI would qualify, can't seem to decide between SL and Ind).

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The top votes are for South Africa, India, New Zealand and Australia. That would be a dream lineup for the semis.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Sa 22
ind 21
nz 21

suuurre!

MacLovin added 0 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

The top votes are for South Africa, India, New Zealand and Australia. That would be a dream lineup for the semis.

Compared to how these 3 played so far, HELL NO!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Only Australia and England have played very well in this tournament. All other teams have played below average (including New Zealand, SA, India, Pakistan, WI). Pakistan have made it, and if India make it, its not that bad a thing. Our chances are not that good, but so was it for Pakistan today.

Chewie

BCCI President
I wouldn't say New Zealand, SA or WI have played below average...They've just been average. Very average.

Dabi

Club Captain
This does highlight a problem with the format I feel in the sense that points (and NRR) from the previous round aren't carried forth. However to accurately do that they needed to make Group E and F based on performance, as in two group leaders and two other teams in each group, rather than pre-determine it. This may have helped tourists in making reservations early on but it does not completely ensure that the best teams make it through to the semi-finals. The fact of the matter is that Pakistan, South Africa and New Zeland played ordinary cricket but New Zeland was the most deserving of the three since they have been marginally better. I am delighted we made it through but I just feel that points should be carried through, what do you guys feel?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Without pre-determining, how would they cater to the huge Indian TV market? From now on, World Cups and ICC events will be exclusively catered to the big Indian market that generates maximum revenue. Aakash Chopra has written an article about this on Cricinfo yesterday. Whats with a Twenty20 World Cup having many games starting at 9:30am in the morning? When games played in India are at unusual times for people living in other timezones, why should games played in the other timezones try and cater to the Indian audience? And thats why they have made sure the seedings are pre-determined so that people can know when India will play their matches. Its all crap, but we got to live with it.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
I think seeding the teams for the super 8s was a smart move. Spectators need to know where they need to be as the matches are played in different cities. A lot of logistics are involved... it also helps the TV audience know well in advance so that they can plan their days off.....

and it really doesn't matter that much for super 8s... so it was a wise move...

Insomniac

Title Recipient
The best idea may be to go back to a 2003 WC system, where each team plays 6 games (confirmed fixtures) and then move on to the super 6s to play 3 more games.

Then the whole logistics issue can be worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread