Shane Shillingford banned from bowling

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
West Indies news: Shane Shillingford's action found to be illegal | West Indies Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo
Shane Shillingford, the West Indies offspinner, has been suspended from bowling in international cricket after his action was found to be illegal following independent tests in Perth, the ICC has confirmed.

The analysis of Shillingford's action revealed that his mean elbow extension was 17 degrees, which is above the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under the laws.

Feel bad for the guy. He had issues with his action before and he worked on it and now this happens to him.

It took them over 18k balls to figure this out.

56.79 average suggests batsmen around the world will be more upset about this decision than he is!

56.79 average suggests batsmen around the world will be more upset about this decision than he is!

Do you ever look at anything besides averages? Averages can be very deceiving, more so when you've only played 5 tests. He's been bowling far better than that average suggests. He did his reputation no harm in his debut series vs South Africa against a very strong batting line up by supporting Benn very well. In Sri Lanka, I thought he was really good in spells when he got the ball to turn and bounce. He bowled a fair few spells where he had quite a few batsmen in some strife.

As i mentioned in the WI vs SRI tour thread.

If the ICC sees Shillingford's action as illegal. They need to check Johan Botha again.

Do you ever look at anything besides averages?

Yes.

Averages can be very deceiving, more so when you've only played 5 tests. He's been bowling far better than that average suggests. He did his reputation no harm in his debut series vs South Africa against a very strong batting line up by supporting Benn very well. In Sri Lanka, I thought he was really good in spells when he got the ball to turn and bounce. He bowled a fair few spells where he had quite a few batsmen in some strife.

Whoosh, I think the JOKE passed right over your head. :rolleyes

----------

As i mentioned in the WI vs SRI tour thread.

If the ICC sees Shillingford's action as illegal. They need to check Johan Botha again.

And I suggest a whole overhaul of the entire law, I mean if you can throw the ball in from the angles Malinga does then you gain such an advantage. And it shouldn't be about whether the bowler doesn't do it deliberately etc, if Shillingford has to correct his action then why shouldn't Malinga? And yes, I know Malinga's action is not illegal under current laws but as I say he's is firing it in from such an angle that he might as well literally be throwing it.

And I suggest a whole overhaul of the entire law, I mean if you can throw the ball in from the angles Malinga does then you gain such an advantage. And it shouldn't be about whether the bowler doesn't do it deliberately etc, if Shillingford has to correct his action then why shouldn't Malinga? And yes, I know Malinga's action is not illegal under current laws but as I say he's is firing it in from such an angle that he might as well literally be throwing it.

Malinga doesn't throw. Just because he has a round arm doesn't mean he straightens his arm to any real extent when he bowls.

Users who are viewing this thread