Should Bangladesh be allowed to play test cricket?

Should Bangladesh play Test cricket?

• Total voters
Two tier system will never work in international cricket. Imagine one of top teams going to tier II and then there players will make all sort of ridiculous records.

The point is that one of the top teams wouldn't go down into the second Tier. At present the second tier would feature Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and the other sides bubbling under - Netherlands, Kenya etc. Not all of a sudden would the West Indies, South Africa or New Zealand or whoever get chucked down their because they can compete and win games at the highest level. The point would also be that if Bangladesh in their next generation produces players good enough to compete aginst the top sides they would then be promote into full test cricket.

That is a completely different issue. We're talking about 2 sections not just a revised ratings system.

Should Bangladesh Lose Test Status?

Having only won 1 test match out of 58 since 2000, isn't it time we stripped Bangladesh of their test status? Despite playing so many matches , they have not improved, maybe they should stick to 1 day internationals where they are much better.

It is unlikely that sides such as Australia and England will agree to future tours by Bangladesh, when they can get more money through bigger crowds by having a Twenty20 tournament. Cricket Australia made a big loss by hosting Bangladesh recently and they are unlikely to do it again (esp in this economic downturn).

A combination of needing revenue and quality cricket will see Bangladesh reduced to playing one-off test matches. This may just the push they need to start improving their test team.

Lets just ban test cricket.:ninja

Nah, seriously, they just posted 400 odd on a 4th innings against Sri Lanka. Looks like they are finally improving to me. We should give them another year or 75 tests.

Bangladesh will get into top rankings in another 4-5 years I believe. They might be 2015 WCup winners also .. who knows. :) But I tell you, they have good potential.. Only thing is, They have to be guided properly.

Bangladesh will get into top rankings in another 4-5 years I believe. They might be 2015 WCup winners also .. who knows. :) But I tell you, they have good potential.. Only thing is, They have to be guided properly.

Amen Brother!

Lets just ban test cricket.:ninja

I don't think it will happen when day-night test match like concepts are proposed. ;)

Thery're still losing, But they're improving every game, Which is promising.

No Bangladesh Cricket Graph is not predictable .....they are not learning from their mistakes...not good for test nations......

It is time that the ICC think about a tier-ed Test sytem. As much as Bangladesh are "improving" or "have potential", it's much harder to improve when you're getting thrashed match after match.

Something like this:

Tier 1: Australia, South Africa, India, England, Sri Lanka, Pakistan
Tier 2: West Indies, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Bangladesh

However, you don't want to lose out on Australia-NZ series'. So, there's a period every few years when you play teams in the other tier. So you end up playing most of your matches against teams of similar ability but still have time to participate in regional rivalries.

Not even in my worst nightmares!!!:eek:
It will take time mate, a very long time - say 30-40 years from now.

And BTW, i agree with the tier system

I voted yes, but only if Zimbabwe were re admitted to test cricket, there is no reason for Bangladesh to be there if Zimbabwe aren't, if both had their full sides out Bangladesh would get smashed

I think Bangladesh are an improving side, it's not as if they've disgraced themselves against Sri Lanka over the past couple of weeks. I'd like a two tier system. It'd give teams like Holland and Ireland a chance because those minor teams all have a few decent players Zuiderant for Holland or Klokker for Denmark.

Bangaldesh do not deserve Test matches.One could look at giving Test Status to other nations or use the two-tier system.

As for the Bangla record- 1 win-thats hasnt really been recorded against any top team.

Bangladesh are slowly improving, their results may not show it but they are putting up more of a fight lately.

It would be silly to take away their test status now after all the time that has been invested in them and all the hard work the team has done to raise it's level of performance.

Don't forget Sri Lanka were easy beats for a long time, though not as weak as Bangladesh they still turned in the odd terrible performance and took a long time to win a test away from home.

And New Zealand were dreadful when they were first admitted to test cricket, so bad that I think Australia only played them once in their first 20 or 25 years in international cricket because it was deemed a waste of time. From memory I think it took New Zealand 47 tests to actually win a game.

The two tier system sounds like a good idea, but I wouldn't restrict the weaker teams to just playing eachother all the time, I'd say they should play the majority of their cricket against teams of similar ability but slowly give them more exposure against the good teams by letting them first play them in their home conditions and then when they show they are good enough letting them tour stronger nations. A Bangladesh v Australia series would draw better crowds in Bangladesh than it would in Australia, so from a marketing point of view it makes more sense, and tv audiences would probably be more likely to want to watch it too due to it being a closer contest.

Maybe one series (either home OR away) every 5 to 6 years against the stronger teams, and more regular series (every 2 to 3 yrs) against teams of similar ability would be the best mix.

I have always thought a 5 test series between Kenya and Bangladesh would be worth watching. It would be a hell of a lot more entertaining than it was watching Australia mercilessly flog West Indies 5-0 back in 2000/1.

Users who are viewing this thread