Should I buy the game?

phughes_tigers9

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I definately am excited reading and looking at all these pictures in threads, although I am not sure myself if I want to buy the game.
A few questions?
Are the bugs/glitches really that bad?
Can I play a World Cup?
Is the game realistic?

Thanks,

You can't play a world cup. You can play an 8-team straight knockout. ie, a pathetic 3 matches.

Test matches aren't realistic. ODIs can be on Hard, but I'm getting as many easy games as I am realistic ones.

Some of the bugs are very frustrating. AI showing no intelligence at all. Run out bugs. If your PC can run it, I think for ?17.99 it's still a decent game. I wouldn't spend ?35-40+ on a console version of it, though.

I only play online or against my roommates. For those purposes this game is the best cricket one ever. I never play against the computer so cant comment on that.

Definitely buy the game if you are going to be playing with a sibling/friend or online a lot.

The fact that you can't play a decent tournament pissed me off severely. I've ordered the game (though it should've arrived ages ago) so i can't change my mind. But I personally wouldn't have bought the game if I had realised how limited it is.

People have blown how good this game is out of proportion through their excitement. It doesn't look all that flash IMO.

You can't play a world cup. You can play an 8-team straight knockout. ie, a pathetic 3 matches.

Test matches aren't realistic. ODIs can be on Hard, but I'm getting as many easy games as I am realistic ones.

Some of the bugs are very frustrating. AI showing no intelligence at all. Run out bugs. If your PC can run it, I think for ?17.99 it's still a decent game. I wouldn't spend ?35-40+ on a console version of it, though.

Agreed. Unless a decent patch appears, I wouldn't even pay ?24.99 for this one - that's why I waited to get it for ?17.99. ODIs/Twenty20s are great fun, but totally hamstrung by not having any proper tournaments. I remember a football or rugby game with the same issue - I did the old 'put all the teams in a bag and draw them out, making notes of results' process, but that was ages ago. I doubt if I'd have the patience now - I had a lot more patience when I was younger!

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

The fact that you can't play a decent tournament pissed me off severely. I've ordered the game (though it should've arrived ages ago) so i can't change my mind. But I personally wouldn't have bought the game if I had realised how limited it is.

People have blown how good this game is out of proportion through their excitement. It doesn't look all that flash IMO.

It is a very good game, albeit hamstrung by some bugs. Get rid of them? It's an awesome game, best ever, even better than BLIC '99.

Last edited:
I definately am excited reading and looking at all these pictures in threads, although I am not sure myself if I want to buy the game.
A few questions?
Are the bugs/glitches really that bad?
Can I play a World Cup?
Is the game realistic?

Thanks,

Hold onto your money for now and see if a patch fixes all the glaring mistakes.

if you plan to play online or against a friend in co-op then I would say go for it. If its against the AI, then it depends on how much you love the sport.

However, if you have loved any of the cricket games before, then its a no-brainer. Get it! as its the best cricket game out there.

OR... you can wait till Sept 18 and see how cricket revolution turns out. Decisions, Decisions...

It's definitely the best cricket game out there but not incredibly realistic, ie not exactly what we were hoping for.

Thanks guys, I reckon I will buy the game, but reading some posts makes me ask another question, if a patch is released, how and where do I get the patch?

I'm sure it'll be hosted on the Codemasters support website (I imagine there will be a few mirror servers as well, as there was with the demo) and will just be an executable (.exe) file to be downloaded via http as with any other hosted files.

Ashes 2009 as a fantasy simulator?

Before I buy a copy of the game (for PC), I was just wondering what people's opinions would be on using Ashes 2009 as a "simulator" for a fantasy cricket competition.

Instead using software such as cricsim I would be using Ashes 2009's CPU vs CPU function to simulate matches between custom teams in my competition.

This allows screenshots & videos to be taken, not just a commentary simulation and makes matches much funner for fantasy team owners.

I have utilized FIFA games and NBA Live games in this way in the past and it has worked a treat...

So basically my question is, how do you think Ashes 2009 would perform for accuracy in simulation? Would the CPU vs CPU matches be reasonably realistic? Would the best players stand out like they should or is it completely unrealistic?

Has anybody watched a CPU v CPU match to see how it turns out? (I know it could get pretty boring lol).

Thanks for any help, I hope this post makes sense, I'm onto my 7th beer...

something i must say is that there are still plenty of run-outs :|

Just ran a 5 over slogfest between England and Australia for you whilst I was in the shower.

England made 74/1 from their 5, and Australia made 72/2 in reply - England winning by 2 runs.

Decent pacing mainly - although some batsmen were leaving or blocking the ball. :doh

But I guess for fantasy cricket you'd prob sim a 20-20 game, in which case it should be perfect for your needs.

NB. There were no run-outs, all were caught - inc. Ponting out for a duck being caught and bowled by Collingwood.

Just ran a 5 over slogfest between England and Australia for you whilst I was in the shower.

England made 74/1 from their 5, and Australia made 72/2 in reply - England winning by 2 runs.

Decent pacing mainly - although some batsmen were leaving or blocking the ball. :doh

But I guess for fantasy cricket you'd prob sim a 20-20 game, in which case it should be perfect for your needs.

NB. There were no run-outs, all were caught - inc. Ponting out for a duck being caught and bowled by Collingwood.

Thanks mate, much appreciated! Very encouraging :)

Users who are viewing this thread