Sky to retain cricket rights until 2013

England has 50% more cricket players now than they did this time last year according to Giles Clarke. And T20 crowds were up 18% apparently.

I struggle to believe that, but if he said since 2005 then I might believe him. Remember the 2005 Ashes were on FTA TV and broke viewing records left, right and centre. Cricket was on such a high after that series that people who were never interested in Cricket suddenly were. Like I said, I might believe him if he said 2005, but over last year is almost certainly rubbish.

Well, the BBC and Channel 4 didn't bid. Sky carry a much better coverage than those two put together and I'm happy to have it.

Not really surprised the BBC didn't bid to be honest. Obviously they couldn't come anywhere close to £300M. Yes they could have bid for just one "package" but are we seriously to believe that the ECB would have taken less money than Sky put on the table?

BBC used to buy Cricket, then the ECB sells it to Ch4, then does a megabucks deal with Sky. The BBC only has a finite amount of cash and it would have moved its cricket budget to some other sport, which has probably gone up anyway, what were the BBC to do? Suddenly redirect cash that its already spent so the ECB can sell them T20 matches or something?

Not really surprised the BBC didn't bid to be honest. Obviously they couldn't come anywhere close to ?300M. Yes they could have bid for just one "package" but are we seriously to believe that the ECB would have taken less money than Sky put on the table?

BBC used to buy Cricket, then the ECB sells it to Ch4, then does a megabucks deal with Sky. The BBC only has a finite amount of cash and it would have moved its cricket budget to some other sport, which has probably gone up anyway, what were the BBC to do? Suddenly redirect cash that its already spent so the ECB can sell them T20 matches or something?

I read somewhere that the BBC was happy to spend millions securing the rights to F1 again, so why didn't they use this cash instead to secure our summer national sport on FTA instead?

I have no idea of the figures involved but I am assuming the F1 package is nowhere near the package required to secure test cricket?

I'm not expert on the television business, but if the BBC are more interested in F1 than cricket then i'm glad that we have Sky at the helm.

Pretty sure I read that the F1 deal (5 years) was around £150M, although that isn't just for TV coverage, its for the lot (Radio, Internet etc) which BBC already pays for. So yes it probably is where they have spent the cash, probably along with MotoGP actually (I believe thats exclusive to the Beeb from next season). But lets face it F1 fits in easier, its usually on a Sunday afternoon and it lasts about 2 hours so its pretty easy to make room for. Although BBC does have 2 channels which it doesn't use until 7pm (BBC3 and BBC4) for digital viewers that it could have used for Cricket. Although I'm guessing there would have been some sort of outcry if Cricket was on BBC3 anyway.

Pretty sure that the BBC can sell its F1 coverage to more countries than it could Cricket, plus England currently suck at Cricket and we have a top line F1 driver added to the fact that almost all the F1 teams are British based.

Also you have to consider that (as much as I can't stand the man) Bernie Ecclestone is committed to F1 remaining free to air, whereas Giles Clarke isnt.

Last edited:
Given how hilariously bad England have been lately I don't think they'd look out of place on BBC3.

I read somewhere that the BBC was happy to spend millions securing the rights to F1 again, so why didn't they use this cash instead to secure our summer national sport on FTA instead?

I have no idea of the figures involved but I am assuming the F1 package is nowhere near the package required to secure test cricket?

It was an undisclosed five-year deal.

Matt, I think you are over-exaggerating England's performances, but that is for another time.

Although BBC does have 2 channels which it doesn't use until 7pm (BBC3 and BBC4) for digital viewers that it could have used for Cricket. Although I'm guessing there would have been some sort of outcry if Cricket was on BBC3 anyway.

Just to be a little pedantic, BBC3 and BBC4 are used as CBBC and CBeebies during the day, so they cannot suddenly be opened up.

I am disappointed, but not surprised by the new deal. I agree that the BBC should not have tried to outbid Five for highlights, but surely they could have gone for one of the live packages? Never mind, I shall live without cricket for the next four years too...

I have a simple solution.

Away tours are exclusive to Sky. Maybe world cups too. But home series are on FTA Television, but not exclusively on FTA.

I have a simple solution.

Away tours are exclusive to Sky. Maybe world cups too. But home series are on FTA Television, but not exclusively on FTA.

That would be excellent. The thing is, it's the home tests that are the most popular cricket matches and Sky wouldn't want to pass up exclusivity. One way they might want to get around it, is a 30 minute delay or something like that.

Whatever, I'm not sure that FTA channels have the scheduling space to show cricket any more. Channel 4 is short on cash, ITV don't care, Five doesn't qualify for enough of the population and the BBC show many other sports. BBCi is a possibility, but even I, as a terrestrial cricket advocate, admit that Sky Sports 1 is far more prestigious and the ECB would not like their flagship events being shoved on interactive (even if more could see them).

I honestly think that the situation we have now will be the one that stays long-term, unless the government put cricket back on List A.

Luckily i got Sky Sports today but home tours shold on FTA i think that before when C4 showed Cricket live they only done test cricket and Sky Sports do ODI'S will it work now

Wasn't that the system during the 2005 Ashes (and before)?

Pretty much, yeah. Although the away tours are negotiated individually with the away board, so Sky could never guarantee exclusivity. C4 had all the home tests live bar 1, which Sky showed live and Sky showed the home ODIs live and a load of domestic cricket, although C4 had (what is now) the FP Trophy live.

Before the BBC showed no interest, I did think that they may have tried to get the second test series of the summer, but they obviously don't care.

madmusician added 19 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

I've just discovered that there is going to be some cricket on FTA. S4C have won the rights to 5 Glamorgan Twenty20 matches in Welsh and the Welsh Village Cup.

Link

Just to be a little pedantic, BBC3 and BBC4 are used as CBBC and CBeebies during the day, so they cannot suddenly be opened up.

They aren't are my freeview box! They list what all the other channels are, with CBBC and CBeebies having their own channels.

stevie added 2 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

but they obviously don't care.

The ECB say there were 27 seperate packages, BBC say there was just the one. I somehow think if there were 27 seperate TV packages BBC (or someone else) would have bid for atleast one of them. What would be helpful is if the ECB listed what these 27 packages were.

Users who are viewing this thread