Smith can give Australia leggie to stand on, but not before 2012: Jenner

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
LO AND behold, Australia have discovered a leg spinner who is being likened to Shane Warne. But before young Steven Smith can be expected to rip through the batting line-ups of international sides, he must first be given time without feeling the weight of expectation on his increasingly valuable shoulders.

Smith, 19, has rapidly developed his leg spin in the past two years and has received tutelage from Warne and spin guru Terry Jenner, who said: "On his best day, he's got a Warne-like leg break. He is an outstanding prospect, and Warney is very excited by him."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...fore-2012jenner/2008/10/20/1224351155945.html

As I expected Steven Smith is our best prospect to becoming our spinner in the future. I was starting to get worried with his performances of late but with the backing of both Warne and his mentor I'm a lot more confident about him. Hopefully both are working with him and NSW about how to best develop him.

Interesting seems like Kolkata Knight Riders are after him too, that would be a great experience for him to bowl on the spinning pitches of India.

Hmm... this could be great news for Australia. If he keeps developing, he may be in the side in a couple of seasons, given the dearth of quality spinners.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cr...fore-2012jenner/2008/10/20/1224351155945.html

As I expected Steven Smith is our best prospect to becoming our spinner in the future. I was starting to get worried with his performances of late but with the backing of both Warne and his mentor I'm a lot more confident about him. Hopefully both are working with him and NSW about how to best develop him.

Interesting seems like Kolkata Knight Riders are after him too, that would be a great experience for him to bowl on the spinning pitches of India.

This is really great news for us but will have to wait for 2012 ;) i am sure it will be worth waiting.

Btw, can't the selectors send him now ? as we are alreasy without a good spinner. Its the best time to have a experiment :) He may click or maye be flick by Indian players .

Yes this news is absolutely true :) He was contacted by Buchanan and SRK :D I will not surprised if he land in Royals tbh ;)

Selectors won't send him as they are already protecting Casson and I suspect Cullen too. But no way we should be risking his confidence, need to protect him as much as possible.

From what I've heard hes bowling a flatter trajectory similar to White. But this of course is due to him playing T20 and OD games. So I wonder if he should be bowling in those matches as it doesn't encourage flight and it can really stuff with your game ala Hauritz. In saying that the T20 would be a good chance for him to get experience in India.

He sounds like an Adil Rashid. You'll have to be able to work with him and give him plenty of games before he is even considered yet. Sounds promising for Australia though.

Last edited:
so the old man out? the 36 years old guy out even before he could make it in?

Australia will look to McGain until Smith is ready. They just have to hope he lives up to potential or else they'll have to look at someone else.

Btw, can't the selectors send him now ? as we are alreasy without a good spinner. Its the best time to have a experiment He may click or maye be flick by Indian players .

Murali Kartik ripped through your Australian side with six wickets the last time they played each other. He was a star performer for Middlesex a few seasons back as well. He's class and you know it.

Terry Jenner would have to be the best spinning coach in the world. If he reckons this kid has what it takes, I'd take his word for it. New South Wales better start bowling him.

Sounds like a similar emergence of mendis. Really interesting, nothing's more purified and better to watch leg spin ripping off from out side leg stump to shattering off stump. Warney has a great replacement i think, if Smith succeeds him.

His nowhere near Mendis.

I think he'll turn out similar to what Cameron White has.

What i said? He sounds like another bowler who's already got respect and is put high like the mendis and mitchell johnson. I wasn't comparing him with mendis, but with his emergence.

Users who are viewing this thread