Socket 775 - Heatsinks - Pins

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
What a horrible design, i cannot stand those pins. So awkward.

I decided to clean my PC from the inside today as summer approaches. I had noticed an increase of 10-15C in my CPU temps. Putting me close to the maximum for my CPU. I was shocked at how much dust was covering the fan at the front of my PC, we are talking an inch thick. The heat sink also had a covering of dust, although not nearly as thick.

Doing brought back painful memories of how awkward the pins are to push into place. It took me four attempts to do this correctly, and i have done this many times.

The Arctic Cooler that i use doesn't help much either because of its weight, and the fact it is not laying flat once in position.

I now seem to have close to perfect contact between the pins, heat sink and my cpu. Idle temps in our room (which is pretty hot and stuffy due to the amount of electronics in the room including a chiller) have soared since summer has arrived.

I used Arctic Silver Ceramique.

I now idle at 38-40c on both cores, and at 100% full load using prime95 my temps only increase by 15c to 55c. The maximum before throttling occurs with my CPU is 72c. So a nice bit of headroom there if temps continue to soar in sunny England.

Moral of the story, use a CPU cooler that isn't so fiddly, and likely to break if you push a pin to hard when installing.

Last edited:
What a horrible design, i cannot stand those pins. So awkward.

I decided to clean my PC from the inside today as summer approaches. I had noticed an increase of 10-15C in my CPU temps. Putting me close to the maximum for my CPU. I was shocked at how much dust was covering the fan at the front of my PC, we are talking an inch thick. The heat sink also had a covering of dust, although not nearly as thick.

Doing brought back painful memories of how awkward the pins are to push into place. It took me four attempts to do this correctly, and i have done this many times.

The Arctic Cooler that i use doesn't help much either because of its weight, and the fact it is not laying flat once in position.

I now seem to have close to perfect contact between the pins, heat sink and my cpu. Idle temps in our room (which is pretty hot and stuffy due to the amount of electronics in the room including a chiller) have soared since summer has arrived.

I used Arctic Silver Ceramique.

I now idle at 38-40c on both cores, and at 100% full load using prime95 my temps only increase by 15c to 55c. The maximum before throttling occurs with my CPU is 72c. So a nice bit of headroom there if temps continue to soar in sunny England.

Moral of the story, use a CPU cooler that isn't so fiddly, and likely to break if you push a pin to hard when installing.
Lol. The sad thing is that the CPU cooler socket design isn't changing with Nehalem even. :( Its just that the number of pins on the processor will change. The socket design remains the same. :mad: :brickwall:

I was really expecting Intel to fix it in their next architecture..... Lets just hope they do.

Btw Gas, which utility you use to measure CPU temps? In my case, HW monitor reports 15C more than Coretemp. I guess this has to do with the delta stuff between Tcase and Tjunction, but which one to believe?

Lol. The sad thing is that the CPU cooler socket design isn't changing with Nehalem even. :( Its just that the number of pins on the processor will change. The socket design remains the same. :mad: :brickwall:

I was really expecting Intel to fix it in their next architecture..... Lets just hope they do.

Btw Gas, which utility you use to measure CPU temps? In my case, HW monitor reports 15C more than Coretemp. I guess this has to do with the delta stuff between Tcase and Tjunction, but which one to believe?

Yes it would be nice to see it fixed. I thought it was possible to buy aftermarket coolers that had a different design though?

I have heard that Thermal Analysis Tool was designed for Notebooks, and hence is a little unreliable and is normally a few degrees at least off.

Apparently, core temp is the best and most accurate, Speedfan is also inaccurate.

I have both TAT and Coretemp. Whilst Core temp reports 38-42c idle for both of my cores, TAT reports anywhere between 25-32.

I would trust and stick with Coretemp, thats what the masses seem to say, although i cannot be 100% sure either.

Yes it would be nice to see it fixed. I thought it was possible to buy aftermarket coolers that had a different design though?

I have heard that Thermal Analysis Tool was designed for Notebooks, and hence is a little unreliable and is normally a few degrees at least off.

Apparently, core temp is the best and most accurate, Speedfan is also inaccurate.

I have both TAT and Coretemp. Whilst Core temp reports 38-42c idle for both of my cores, TAT reports anywhere between 25-32.

I would trust and stick with Coretemp, thats what the masses seem to say, although i cannot be 100% sure either.
Lol. For the socket, I mean, with an aftermarket cooler too, don't you still have to push in those pins like the stock ones? I understand it might be different with ones with a backplate though, just veryfying.

And about the temps, well, thing is that my E2160 shows up like 57C in coretemp when overclocked @ 3GHz(I know that's high. I'm going to fix it soon. The CM PSU blows hot air over the CPU and the exhaust I've got is ****), and HW monitor and OCCT, if you've heard them, show +15C, i.e 72C :eek: That freaks the hell out of me lol.
I read somewhere that there is a difference between different temps. There is this Tcase, which is the temperature of the processor's case, and there's Tjunction, which comes from Digital devices from the chip. They say that Tjunction and Tcase have a delta of +15C. But then we don't know whether the specs revealed by Intel for throttling are Tcase or Tjunction?

Speedfan shows for me the exact same temperatures as coretemp. TAT refuses to work though.

Lol. For the socket, I mean, with an aftermarket cooler too, don't you still have to push in those pins like the stock ones? I understand it might be different with ones with a backplate though, just veryfying.

And about the temps, well, thing is that my E2160 shows up like 57C in coretemp when overclocked @ 3GHz(I know that's high. I'm going to fix it soon. The CM PSU blows hot air over the CPU and the exhaust I've got is ****), and HW monitor and OCCT, if you've heard them, show +15C, i.e 72C :eek: That freaks the hell out of me lol.
I read somewhere that there is a difference between different temps. There is this Tcase, which is the temperature of the processor's case, and there's Tjunction, which comes from Digital devices from the chip. They say that Tjunction and Tcase have a delta of +15C. But then we don't know whether the specs revealed by Intel for throttling are Tcase or Tjunction?

Speedfan shows for me the exact same temperatures as coretemp. TAT refuses to work though.

I am not sure, i am under the impression that certain after market coolers come with a different design for attaching the heat sink etc. When i have more money, i hope to move away from the design which is difficult and unreliable.

I just tried TAT on both Vista and XP and I get the same error "Error enumerating on demand clock modulation support. Terminating program". What to do now lol? :p

And idea's how can I stick a fan onto my chipset's little heatsink Matt?

I know its a bit offtopic but Matt do you use your vCash?

I just tried TAT on both Vista and XP and I get the same error "Error enumerating on demand clock modulation support. Terminating program". What to do now lol? :p

And idea's how can I stick a fan onto my chipset's little heatsink Matt?

I know its a bit offtopic but Matt do you use your vCash?

No idea, and about Vcash, i did used to bet a little about a year ago. I had about 250, now i have 8,000 or so, no idea why. :p

As the Ceramique paste has set, temps have dropped slightly now. Cold days 31c idle - 38c warm days, up to 50c full load on cold and warm days.

What is interesting is that the Arctic Freezer stays largely quiet until temps reach 55c, then it kicks up a notch and keeps temps at 50c or below.

Wow. Those are good temps. Mine stay like 33C on stock settings idle, and easily hit 48-50C on load. But then Intel bundled the tiny wolfdale cooler with my still conroe chip lol. :p

Wow. Those are good temps. Mine stay like 33C on stock settings idle, and easily hit 48-50C on load. But then Intel bundled the tiny wolfdale cooler with my still conroe chip lol. :p

Thats still pretty good. Sadly, i think mine should be cooler, but one of my pins has been damaged from being fitted too many times, hence it locks in place, but not as tightly as it should do i think. Still, i am pleased with the temps considering the overclock, and cooler is ten times quieter than intels. :)

As i speak now Core 0 is at 31c and Core 1 is at 34c.

Thats still pretty good. Sadly, i think mine should be cooler, but one of my pins has been damaged from being fitted too many times, hence it locks in place, but not as tightly as it should do i think. Still, i am pleased with the temps considering the overclock, and cooler is ten times quieter than intels. :)

As i speak now Core 0 is at 31c and Core 1 is at 34c.
Yeah the temps are OK atm but as soon as I bump the voltage to +0.012 and overclock to 3Ghz, I immediately hit 60 as my core temperatures on load. :eek: I guess it might have to also do with my Cooler Master PSU, it blows air straight on my processor, and hot air btw. I'll have to add more exhausts...

Users who are viewing this thread