Oct 14, Sun South Africa vs Zimbabwe, 3rd T20I
Willowmoore Park, Benoni,6:00 PM

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
Taylor, Ervine, Williams return to Zimbabwe squad

September 13 2018

Brendan Taylor last played for Zimbabwe in March 2018

Zimbabwe have received a massive boost ahead of their tours to South Africa after Brendan Taylor, Craig Ervine and Sean Williams made themselves available for selection. The trio has been named in the ODI squads for both the tours.

The trio alongside, Graeme Cremer and Sikandar Raza were not available for selection for the home tri-series in July this year and the five-match ODI series against Pakistan because of a pay dispute. Zimbabwe Cricket had not paid match fees to its players for almost a year at that point in time which led to a discord. But with the ICC working alongside ZC to bring back financial stability, the national team's fortunes on the field are set to improve.

While Taylor, Ervine and Williams are back, Raza was not considered for selection after not being handed a contract. Cremer was not considered for selection after undergoing a knee surgery recently. Apart from these three big names, Zimbabwe have also been bolstered by the return of Solomon Mire and Kyle Jarvis, who have regained full fitness.

Zimbabwe will first travel to South Africa for a three-match ODI series beginning on September 30 in Kimberley and that will be followed by a three-match T20I series. Hamilton Masakadza will continue to captain the side.

For South Africa tour

ODI Squad: Hamilton Masakadza (C), Solomon Mire, Craig Ervine, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams, Peter Moor, Elton Chigumbura, Donald Tiripano, Kyle Jarvis, Brandon Mavuta, Richard Ngarava, Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, Wellington Masakadza, Ryan Murray, Tendai Chatara

T20I Squad: Hamilton Masakadza (C), Solomon Mire, Neville Madziva, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams, Peter Moor, Elton Chigumbura, Tendai Chisoro, Kyle Jarvis, Brandon Mavuta, Christopher Mpofu, Chamu Chibhabha, Wellington Masakadza, Tarisai Musakanda, Tendai Chatara

Bhumi

Club Captain
Steyn, Tahir return; Jonker called-up for Zimbabwe ODi

Steyn last featured for South Africa in an ODI nearly two years ago.

Dale Steyn marks his comeback to the South Africa ODI squad after being named in the 16-member squad for the home series against Zimbabwe along with the team's first-choice spinner, Imran Tahir. The squads for the two limited-overs series also features Warriors batsman Christiaan Jonker, who has been handed his maiden national call-up in ODIs.

Steyn, who has spent time on the sidelines due to injuries, last featured for South Africa in an ODI nearly two years ago, while Tahir was rested during South Africa's tour of Sri Lanka.

The selectors have also rested regulars Quinton de Kock and David Miller for the series with the vision to give others an opportunity and thereby, broaden the talent pool ahead of 2019 World Cup. Teenage batsman Matthew Breetzke, who represented the country at the U19 World Cup earlier this year and SA Emerging tour of Sri Lanka, will join the squad as a learning experience.

"The selection of Christiaan Jonker is part of the ongoing process of our Vision 2019," commented CSA National Selection Panel convener Linda Zondi. "He had an outstanding debut in the T20 format against India and we want to see whether he can convert that finishing form into the longer white-ball format as well.

"We have also recalled Khaya Zondo to the ODI squad as another part of the pool broadening process. He had an outstanding quadrangular series for SA A in India against high quality opposition, scoring our only century and having a strike rate of 95.

"We still have ODI series after this one against Australia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka as we get closer to finalising our likely World Cup squad," he added.

Kagiso Rabada has been rested for the T20I series that follows, as a part of his workload management, while Rassie van der Dussen and Gihahn Cloete could potentially make their national debuts.

"Part of our selection strategy," added Zondi, "has been to blood newcomers first at T20 level. We have done this in the past with the likes of Wiaan Mulder, Lungi Ngidi, Reeza Hendricks, Jonker and Junior Dala, and we are continuing that process with Gihahn Cloete and Rassie van der Dussen. Cloete was another to have a strike rate in excess of 90 for SA A in India while Van der Dussen has had an impressive run of form in recent T20 Franchise tournaments around the world.

"Another part of our strategy going forward is to identify exciting, young talent such as Matthew Breetzke and assimilate them into the Protea culture at a young age. We have done this successfully in the past with the likes of Kagiso Rabada, Ngidi and Mulder, among others and this is a continuation of that process.

"Our national captain, Faf du Plessis, will be personally taking Breetzke under his wing," concluded Mr. Zondi.

Meanwhile, CSA continues to monitor du Plessis's fitness. Should his recovery from the shoulder injury he sustained in Sri Lanka take more time to heal, the selectors are expected to announce a stand-in captain closer to the start of the series.

"Faf continues to make a recovery from the shoulder injury he suffered in Sri Lanka," said South Africa's team doctor, Dr. Mohammed Moosajee. "It is a week by week case and a call will be made in due course," he added.

The three-match ODI series begins in Kimberley on September 30, and will be followed by three T20Is, starting October 9 in East London.

ODI squad: JP Duminy(C) Reeza Hendricks, Imran Tahir, Christiaan Jonker, Heinrich Klaasen, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Lungisani Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Dale Steyn, Khaya Zondo,Dean ElGar.

T20I squad: Faf du Plessis (C), Gihahn Cloete, Junior Dala, Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Robbie Frylinck, Imran Tahir, Christiaan Jonker, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Lungisani Ngidi, Dane Paterson, Andile Phehlukwayo, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
I think Aiden Markram should be dropped!

FaF dulpisis and Amla them self unavailable for ODI series vs Zimbabwe so Dean ElGar included in Southafrican ODI team .
Duminy will lead SOA team in ODI but SOA cricket board expects FaF to recover with his health related problem before
T20i starts vs Zimbabwe.

Maharaj also out of ODI series so he can take part in 4 day game vs Titans[DOUBLEPOST=1537927170][/DOUBLEPOST]Markram I think okayed vs weaker opposition

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Big series for Zondo and Markram. Faf, Amla and Steyn will retire after this WC.

Bhumi

Club Captain
First ODI tomorrow showing live on tv in india 1.30 pm SOA vs Zim on Sony six and sony six HD

I wish game not one sideded.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Again Zondo and Shamsi not playing. Don't why they select Elgar for this series. Elgar will not play next WC, it's time to utilize Zondo. Zondo played some great knoks for South Africa A under pressure. He can play under pressure. Same for Shamsi. Hendricks can open.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Again Zondo and Shamsi not playing. Don't why they select Elgar for this series. Elgar will not play next WC, it's time to utilize Zondo. Zondo played some great knoks for South Africa A under pressure. He can play under pressure. Same for Shamsi. Hendricks can open.

I feel sorry for Zimbabwe who recorded their Lowest score vs
Proteas today.( Previous 119)

Markram twice lucky dropped off Chatara and after out was found NO BALL.Wonderful bowling by Everyone including Mulder of Southafrica.Lunch near corner

Markram not Lucky 3rd time-- gone.Poor cricket by test player
Who starts his test career with bright Note.

Zim 117
SOA 58/4

But Duminy and Klassen (44) helped them win by 5 wickets.
Next game on wed at 4.30 pm IST

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
I wish sinister one might say something about Markram's innnings full of Luck and favoritizum by selectors.

Bhumi

Club Captain
I wonder why David Miller not yet sacks from southafrican team ? He told Southafrica to pull himself out from FIRST CLASS CRICKET for personal reasons.

Do you think players allow to do so when he is pysically perfect
To play otherwise ODI plus.

Bhumi

Club Captain
I feel sorry for Zimbabwe who recorded their Lowest score vs
Proteas today.( Previous 119)

Markram twice lucky dropped off Chatara and after out was found NO BALL.Wonderful bowling by Everyone including Mulder of Southafrica.Lunch near corner

Markram not Lucky 3rd time-- gone.Poor cricket by test player
Who starts his test career with bright Note.

Zim 117
SOA 58/4

But Duminy and Klassen (44) helped them win by 5 wickets.
Next game on wed at 4.30 pm IST
Southafrica down to earth despite bright 34 from Markham
101/7 after winning toss vs Zimbabwe in 25 overs.NO DRS IN THIS SERIES.Zimbabwe A's captain,Leg spinner,Mavuto so impressive today besides Chatara., Jarvis

Madakadza playing his 200th ODI

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
When Steyn can score runs, why not the batsmen? SA batsmen should ashamed of themselves if Steyn scores a 50 here.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Fifty for Steyn. SA's batsmen could learn a thing or two from him..

Users who are viewing this thread