South Africa's tour of India - October/December 2015

Ashwin has the chance to finish as the top wicket-taker for 2015. He is on 49, 2 behind broad at 51. Now I think its a safe guess that Ashwin will get ahead of Broad tomorrow, and then he has one more test to cement the lead.

Broad plays one more test this year which is the boxing day test vs SA, in SA.

So if Ashwin has a 8-10 wicket haul in the final test vs SA, I think he has a fair shot.

Ashwin gave an interesting press conference -

On the pitch he basically said - why should he complain about the pitch. He didn't complain when he played in Johanesburg in 2013, and the ball just refused to turn and he was dropped from the test side for a year.

I think fair enough.

On a side note, is anyone else having issues accessing cricinfo? There are some days on which the site just won't load? All other sites work, except cricinfo?

On a side note, is anyone else having issues accessing cricinfo? There are some days on which the site just won't load? All other sites work, except cricinfo?
It's working fine for me. Been using throughout the day.

And, do you have the link for that press conference ? Would like to read more about it.

It's working fine for me. Been using throughout the day.

And, do you have the link for that press conference ? Would like to read more about it.

No problem and reason to complain about Nagpur pitch, says Ashwin - Oneindia

Speaking to reporters after 2nd day's play, Ashwin defended the wicket by saying, "I did not complain when I played in Johannesburg. I was dropped for a year. I am not going to complain for playing here either. I see no reason to complain. Swing, seam and bounce, match over in 2 days in Trent Bridge (England). I don't know what that is about."

He continued, "What is the problem with spin and bounce? It is good even spin and bounce, isn't it? It is about skills for batsmen to play and counter."

I looked up the Jo'burg test in question.

South Africa vs India, 1st Test - December 18, 2013 - Cricket Archives - Cricbuzz

At the end of the 3rd innings India were 457 (yes you read that right), ahead and SA had to get 458 to win. Naturally it was believed that Ashwin would finish the SA batsmen in the 4th innings. 458 is a huge lead however you look at it.

The pitch just had no turn though even in the 4th innings, and Ashwin went wicketless, and SA nearly chased down the total. The finished in a draw. Ashwin finished with figures of 36 overs-83 runs-0 wickets. His match figure were 42 overs-105 runs-0 wickets. He was promptly dropped for the second test in Durban, after his dismal showing.

He was labelled all kinds of things after that, including that he was just an IPL player, and how IPL should not be used to pick the team, and the general hoopla that follows every disappointment (team or player), and innovative ways are found to dump all the blame on the IPL, happened.

So Ashwin what he says in the press conference, well done.

Last edited:
He was labelled all kinds of things after that, including that he was just an IPL player, and how IPL should not be used to pick the team, and the general hoopla that follows every disappointment (team or player), and innovative ways are found to dump all the blame on the IPL, happened.

To be fair, its was not just the wicket but his skills had indeed taken a big dive during that phase. And that is why he was dropped. Jadeja was outbowling him by sticking to the basics while Ashwin was stuck in this bowling limbo where the management/captain was asking him to bowl defensively while his natural instinct is to attack and look for wickets. Very glad that he finally overcame it and is doing what he does best :)

No problem and reason to complain about Nagpur pitch, says Ashwin - Oneindia

I looked up the Jo'burg test in question.

South Africa vs India, 1st Test - December 18, 2013 - Cricket Archives - Cricbuzz

At the end of the 3rd innings India were 457 (yes you read that right), ahead and SA had to get 458 to win. Naturally it was believed that Ashwin would finish the SA batsmen in the 4th innings. 458 is a huge lead however you look at it.

The pitch just had no turn though even in the 4th innings, and Ashwin went wicketless, and SA nearly chased down the total. The finished in a draw. Ashwin finished with figures of 36 overs-83 runs-0 wickets. His match figure were 42 overs-105 runs-0 wickets. He was promptly dropped for the second test in Durban, after his dismal showing.

So Ashwin what he says in the press conference, well done.

The 2 SA spinners managed to get 4 wickets in India's second innings so do not see how just cause ashwin couldn't get anything done that meant the pitch offered zero spin, he is bowling much better now then he did then imho. Pitch lasted 5 days, SA managed to take 20 wickets on it and a result was possible if steyn & philander opted to be more positive when faf got out. Much better wicket then what we have here imho.

About the game, I am still very edgy about the outcome (as I always am)

It is not an impossible task to chase this down if the pitch wasnt this tricky. A quickfire knock from ABD and anything can happen

The Test ought to be abandoned for an unfit surface. For those who haven't seen:

Last edited:
The 2 SA spinners managed to get 4 wickets in India's second innings so do not see how just cause ashwin couldn't get anything done that meant the pitch offered zero spin, he is bowling much better now then he did then imho. Pitch lasted 5 days, SA managed to take 20 wickets on it and a result was possible if steyn & philander opted to be more positive when faf got out. Much better wicket then what we have here imho.

Oh please, the first wicket was taken by a spinner was Rahane, with India at the time 358 (lead of 394). India were looking to be aggressive to set whatever total they could, and got out slogging. Thats the 4 wickets spinners had, batsmen looking to slog.

You want to call those wickets evidence of the pitch aiding spin ... :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread