South Africa's tour of India - October/December 2015

The Test ought to be abandoned for an unfit surface. For those who haven't seen:

Yeah England vs Australia, Trent Bridge game over in 2 days, England vs India, Manchester a pitch so green that most people wouldn't be able tell the difference between the pitch and their garden, match over in 3 days best pitches ever ... but a pitch that helps spinners spin the ball - thats a poor wicket.

I don't know what is worse, your bad pitch rant or that you actually think there are people on this series forum who haven't seen the highlights of today's play.

Yeah pitches in India aid spin, have you just started watching cricket?

Last edited:
No problem and reason to complain about Nagpur pitch, says Ashwin - Oneindia

I looked up the Jo'burg test in question.

South Africa vs India, 1st Test - December 18, 2013 - Cricket Archives - Cricbuzz

At the end of the 3rd innings India were 457 (yes you read that right), ahead and SA had to get 458 to win. Naturally it was believed that Ashwin would finish the SA batsmen in the 4th innings. 458 is a huge lead however you look at it.

The pitch just had no turn though even in the 4th innings, and Ashwin went wicketless, and SA nearly chased down the total. The finished in a draw. Ashwin finished with figures of 36 overs-83 runs-0 wickets. His match figure were 42 overs-105 runs-0 wickets. He was promptly dropped for the second test in Durban, after his dismal showing.

He was labelled all kinds of things after that, including that he was just an IPL player, and how IPL should not be used to pick the team, and the general hoopla that follows every disappointment (team or player), and innovative ways are found to dump all the blame on the IPL, happened.

So Ashwin what he says in the press conference, well done.

This is exactly the reason I loathe Ashwin. As I have said before, he IS is the best spinner in the world, but his attitude leaves a LOT to be desired. The test match you're talking about, which India almost lost, nearly won and ended up drawing was a classic. It was decking around, it had just enough turn if you consistently stuck to the basics and if you stuck at it as a batter, you could make a hundred. I'm not counting Tahir's wickets, but Duminy did pick up a couple of wickets? The point simply is that Ashwin was a different bowler then to what he is now. To compound the problem, India didn't have a Kallis in their ranks for sustained pressure. I can pretty much guarantee that if Ashwin bowls the way he is now, he will get wickets anywhere. He may not get bags abroad, but he will be effective enough to maintain sustained pressure and pick a couple of wickets.

There is a lot of unnecessary jibber and jabber from certain parts. When it happens in their country it's fine. But, if you ask a balanced person, this is a pitch too heavily tilted in favour of the home side and not a 'TEST' match standard wicket. It will ultimately harm Indian cricket in the long run. To compare it to the Jo'burg test is ludicrous and childish and I hope Ashwin is half the personality of the bowler he is by the time he finishes. To put it in one line? Great bowler, bigger jerk.

Don't be a plank - there was a slight green tinge, and although there was seam movement, it didn't go much more than a few inches or so. The scorecard was slanted so far in favour of the ball because the Australians played with leaden feet and hard hands, while the ball didn't actually move enough to miss the edge. Broad was rewarded for an exceptional spell of bowling.

Shortly afterwards, Starc, Hazlewood and Johnson - three of the world's finest fast bowlers - were unable to stop an English batting line-up that contained only two reliable batsmen from getting 391. The Australians themselves then went on to post over 250 in the second innings, despite Ben Stokes bowling a world-class spell of swing bowling.

Your argument that this pitch, which provided even pace and bounce, and on which only truly world-class spells of bowling were rewarded could be deemed unfit is laughably, demonstrably and obviously false.

I can understand people saying that wkt is not my cup of tea or too result oriented in favor of spin but unfit

"Too result orientated" doesn't cover it. TWENTY wickets fell in a single day of a five-day Test match. This means that to go the distance, the match would need to offer five innings to each team, possibly more if the pitch continues to deteriorate. It is a pitch which (as has been amply demonstrated) would reward an average spin bowler just as much as one with real skill in their craft. All that Ravi Jadeja had to do was sling it into the middle of the pitch and let it do the rest, as alternate balls turn square and bounce, then keep low and straight.

The only slight thing that goes in its favour is that it was so laughably spin-friendly that India had already batted twice before Morne Morkel could start going through the top and hitting cracks. Because then it would have become physically dangerous, and not just dangerous for the well-being of the game.

Yeah England vs Australia, Trent Bridge game over in 2 days, England vs India, Manchester a pitch so green that most people wouldn't be able tell the difference between the pitch and their garden, match over in 3 days best pitches ever

I'm not in favour of "pitches so green that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the pitch and their garden". I think that is also wrong, and certainly not "the best pitch ever". But the difference between a green pitch and this one is that you can reliably put the bad balls away on a green pitch; batsmen can still score runs on green pitches. And that's speaking as an Irish fan, where the weather is so wet that green pitches almost cannot be avoided.

... but a pitch that helps spinners spin the ball - thats a poor wicket.

Similarly, I like to see a pitch that spins, not just as a spinner but also as someone who firmly believes that most Test teams should include two spinners. But, when the wicket itself does not reward skilful spin bowling, and instead offers four-for-thirty just because you turned up and bowled some darts, that is completely unfit to call itself a cricket wicket, let alone a Test wicket.

I don't know what is worse, your bad pitch rant or that you actually think there are people on this series forum who haven't seen the highlights of today's play.
Because... oh I don't know, they work full time or something? That was the first I had seen of it because I'd just got in from work. If people with jobs are somehow less important in your world, then fine.

Yeah pitches in India aid spin, have you just started watching cricket?

And I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

Last edited:
Your argument that this pitch, which provided even pace and bounce, and on which only truly world-class spells of bowling were rewarded could be deemed unfit is laughably, demonstrably and obviously false.
It was hardly world class bowling, he bowled in good areas and the Australians did the rest, same goes to this pitch the batting application has been poor from both sides it just hasn't happened, a trend of players of spin declining all over!

The only slight thing that goes in its favour is that it was so laughably spin-friendly that India had already batted twice before Morne Morkel could start going through the top and hitting cracks. Because then it would have become physically dangerous, and not just dangerous for the well-being of the game.

It will just slow down not crack up thats the nature of nagpur wkt, you are mistaking dust flying for pitch cracking up!

It's like saying Tahir today bowled a world-class spell of spin bowling.
Please note that I did not refer to Ben Stokes as a world class bowler, simply that for the duration of that spell, he operated at a world-class standard.

I don't know if this video plays for you, because it doesn't work for me.

you are mistaking dust flying for pitch cracking up

If there's dust flying, then the top is going off the pitch. The dust is (was) the topsoil of the wicket.

@ The Author- It's quite pathetic of you to say that Jadeja simply has to roll his arm over. The guy's taken 8 consecutive 5 wicket hauls to get to where he is. I don't think your darling Broad was bowling on a flat deck when he was picking those 8 wickets.

I'm not denying that this is a poor test wicket, but the one where Broad took 8 was equally poor. Indian batsmen batted like clowns today, otherwise they could have made 300-350 as well.

It's quite convenient to say that you can put away bad balls on a green top. Tahir was bowling lolipops in the first innings and he was put away. The Aussie fast bowlers didn't bowl well in that test as world class as they are, just like India didn't bat as well as England did that test. It's absolutely bullsh!t to say that a green wicket is fine but a dust bowl is not. It's not like this wicket is dangerous. It's just biased. Like your views.

If there's dust flying, then the top is going off the pitch. The dust is (was) the topsoil of the wicket.

They are both 3 DAY test match wickets. Regardless. You can't guarantee that the wicket will crumble. Some wickets in India have the nature to barely crumble over 5 days, but they spin from ball 1 of day 1.

About the game, I am still very edgy about the outcome (as I always am)

It is not an impossible task to chase this down if the pitch wasnt this tricky. A quickfire knock from ABD and anything can happen

Yes strange things can happen. I don't see south africa folding as easy as yesterday. I think they'll make a game out of it by fighting.

Please note that I did not refer to Ben Stokes as a world class bowler, simply that for the duration of that spell, he operated at a world-class standard.
I don't know if this video plays for you, because it doesn't work for me.
He just used the conditions pretty well, nothing close to the level of world class.

The Test ought to be abandoned for an unfit surface. For those who haven't seen:

The nagpur pitch is not unfit. South Africa have not used their feet and they've paid the price. They're trying to play shots from the crease without any footwork. Also, I hate the fact that people like Matthew Hayden, Kallis, and Vaughan criticized the pitch. Oh please, India has had to play on a lot of worse pitches abroad just like the Manchester one that was provided last summer when we toured England and some of the pitches in the 2011 tour of England. That pitch had way too much lateral movement and I don't think the Indian players criticized the pitch or whined about it. This Nagpur pitch isn't unplayable and it's definitely not an unfit surface. Also, I think South Africa have only themselves to blame, why would you bring your best spinner on when India has got like 60-70 runs on the board. Maybe things could have been slightly different had Imran Tahir been brought on early in both innings, but Amla had other thoughts.

I'm not in favour of "". I think that is also wrong, and certainly not "the best pitch ever". But the difference between a green pitch and this one is that you can reliably put the bad balls away on a green pitch; batsmen can still score runs on green pitches. And that's speaking as an Irish fan, where the weather is so wet that green pitches almost cannot be avoided.

I will start off with the part in bold. In India spinning wickets cannot be avoided. The pitches by their very nature will spin. India can never produce a wicket that will be like Perth. So spinning tracks in India cannot be avoided either.

Now you may not be in favor of "pitches so green that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the pitch and their garden", but I didn't see you creating a hoopla around it, like you are trying to create around this wicket.

No one is calling it an ideal wicket. However the double standards on pitches is pitiable. If pitches tend to swerve towards the green garden side, then nothing is said, but create a pitch to aid spinners ...

and-everyone-looses.jpg

I cannot think of there having been one instance of a spin friendly wicket being prepared in the subcontinent, and cricket followers outside the sub-continent going mental. Grow up !!

Oh and the whole "I have a job part" - you really think you are only one on this board with a job. Quit being so childish.

I can imagine the uproar if SA somehow win. 'this is what happens when you create a pitch of the sort.'

It will have some truth in it, but the amount of slander India are getting for a biased wicket is plain BS. If England would have produced a green top of similar category, pundits on twitter would lecture about how to play late in England where it decks around.

PS: I secretly want AB to get a hundred tomorrow and take SA home.

I can imagine the uproar if SA somehow win. 'this is what happens when you create a pitch of the sort.'

It will have some truth in it, but the amount of slander India are getting for a biased wicket is plain BS. If England would have produced a green top of similar category, pundits on twitter would lecture about how to play late in England where it decks around.

PS: I secretly want AB to get a hundred tomorrow and take SA home.

PS: I secretly want AB to get a hundred tomorrow :yes and take SA home.

Users who are viewing this thread