South Africa's tour of India - October/December 2015

I see this debate over the pitches in this series has been strong here as expected.

This article sums up my the problem perfectly IMO - The difference between Nagpur and Nottingham | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Seen many series in India throughout sub-continent on dustbowls in my 20 years watching cricket - this turners are clearly under-prepared even if one argues some of the SA batsmen have deficiencies vs SPIN - even the IND batsman haven't found it easy vs SA spinners.

I think enough has been said about pitches and we can go on arguing without either side changing their stand, however I do want to address the part in bold.

I think the reason why pitches in India that help spin get the flack is that because they are dusty, people think they are under-prepared. First of all if you saw the pitch report today, both Sunny and Pollock said that the pitch has actually held quite firm, despite giving the illusion on day 1 that it just couldn't wait to come apart.

Second the larger point where the bias against spinning wickets comes from, while green wickets seem to get barely a comment and all kinds of positive spin put on them, is that there is this weird illusion going around that a curator has to work hard to prepare a green wicket, while a curator has to forget his job and at the last second find a strip of land and then basically throw some dirt on it, and viola you get a spinning track.

That is not the case, just like a green track, a spinner also needs just as much work. The pitch doesn't turn, and the pitch is not dry because the curator didn't work on it. No, the pitch is dry and helping spin, because it was made that way, with just as much preparation, as would go into the making of a green top.

I don't know where this comes from. People think of a square spinner, the curator must not of worked on it, because had he worked on it, we would get a flat wicket, or a green top, or basically anything expect a square spinner. This is why the bias exists against square spinner, this underlying assumption that its an under-prepared wicket.

The truth is that a wicket can be prepared for days to be a green top, and the wicket can just as equally be prepared by the curator to turn from day 1. This under prepared bit is wrong.

this is the part i dont agree at all, this is the only pitch in the whole series taht cane be labeled as a rank turner, Blore was by no means turning, saf batsman fell to straight ones with poor application, mohali was as docile as it gets for a spinning pitch in india.Saf batmsan managed to play worse than indian counterparts on it!

Really wish we had cleaned them up in blore and all this pitch nonsense talk wouldnt be there!

Nagpur has many pitches, this one is a turner, then there is the slug that we got during ENG IND, it varies which one we get, ind aus they had to leave plenty of grass for the pitch to get hard something not a natural for that pitch ![DOUBLEPOST=1448590841][/DOUBLEPOST]ALso SAF are still not out of it, do expect them to pull something special tomorrow, atleast get close to the target!

I agree if people think Bangalore wicket was a turner then frankly they need to get their balance right. India played 3 seamers for that, the first time in history perhaps that India would have played three seamers for a home test, and people think that pitch was a spinner. SA were so poor that they lost 9 wickets on that pitch to spinners to be dismissed before tea. However their poor batting on a wicket that was damp, and expected to help the seamers doesn't make the test a spinner.

Whoa ball of the series ... to fool ABD in flight like that off a carrom ball, just brilliant. Ashwin now the joint leading wicket taker in 2015, along with Broad.

ABD was completely fooled first in flight and just stayed stuck on the crease, and then fooled a second time by the carrom ball, he played for the regular spinner.

To fool the world's best batsman (Williamson fast getting there though), twice in the same delivery, hats off Ashwin.

Glad we got Elgar earlier, he looked more dangerous & consistent than Amla or ABD in this series.
Agree. Elgar looks promising for me. I had not watched (or heard) about him before until he played against India in this series. I look forward to seeing him more in the future.

For a pitch said to have all kinds of demons on it, the last hr has been rather eventless.

People talk about swing on day 1 batting on day 2, and spin on day 5 and what not, how about this wicket.

Spin on day 1 and 2, and then gets easier for batting on day 3.

Its still spinning a lot and bouncing alarmingly. Also saha did miss amla twice. Amla and faf have applied themselves better but pitch is still a problem imho.

Its in phases like these that we will miss the pace of Aaron/Yadav with the old ball. There is a lot in there in the form of reverse swing for the seamers but Ishant does`nt have the skills or the pace to use it.

Great partnership between Amla & Faf.

Users who are viewing this thread