Speaker + subwoofer

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys, I want to get a new speaker system for my PC and saw this at play.com:

Play.com (UK) : Logitech X-210 Speakers : Computing - Free Delivery

What do you think? It got good ratings - the only issue seems to be that you can only adjust the bass from an equaliser, but that doesn't bother me much, since once I've found a good level for bass, I leave it alone. The only thing I need to know is whether they're magnetically shielded (both the speakers and the sub), since they'll be very close to the PC/monitor.

I might go to ?30, but if I can find a decent system for a price such as this, it'd be preferable (mind you, the rrp for these is ?40, so they're going to be good if you're going to judge it on price - which isn't always a good idea, of course).

Found these as well:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3477062/Creative-Inspire-A300-2-1-Speakers/Product.html

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
I know I'm going off track but is 5:1 or 7:1 out of the question? You won't regret the choice if you go down it. Can't tell you how it feels to be driving a mad supercar with sound coming from every direction.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems situating those near a monitor.

@ Sureshot. I reckon I'm probably alone in the world having gone from a 5.1 system back to a plain old 2 speaker system. Don't get me wrong the 5.1 sound was great, but I just got fed up with all the sodding wires all over the place.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I know I'm going off track but is 5:1 or 7:1 out of the question? You won't regret the choice if you go down it. Can't tell you how it feels to be driving a mad supercar with sound coming from every direction.

I would love to be able to have that, but it's just not an option with the way my room's set up, unless you can do that wirelessly, but I'd guess that'd be way more expensive.

If I ever land that 'plum part', I'll set up a room dedicated to gaming. Huge cinematic screen, speakers every where you look - maybe one day... :)

I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems situating those near a monitor.

@ Sureshot. I reckon I'm probably alone in the world having gone from a 5.1 system back to a plain old 2 speaker system. Don't get me wrong the 5.1 sound was great, but I just got fed up with all the sodding wires all over the place.

Thanks for your replies, guys. The speakers/subwoofer will be quite near the PC - a matter of inches - but since they're PC speakers and they're Logitech, you'd imagine they'd be magnetically shielded as a matter of course. Hopefully they're not too old a model - they should be on Logitech's own site if not - where they'll have all the information I need.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I'm guessing you have an LCD monitor anyway. While it is true that these can be effected by magnetism, it's to a lesser extent than a CRT. Even if you have a CRT, I doubt you'd see any effects. I've been placing speakers right by my monitors for years and never had problems. Having said that, I'd recommend you don't stick the woofer right next to the monitor. For one thing they are bulky and ugly. You really can't tell where the sound is coming from from a woofer, so you can stick it anywhere. Stick it out of the way, under the desk or something, you won't notice any difference.

Sureshot

Executive member
All subwoofers should be down near the ground, but slightly elevated.

Yes, cabling is a bit of a pain and right now with the Sky installed, the trunking is overflowing. Pretty sure I've seen some wireless Satellite speakers for 5:1 around, might be dreaming though.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm guessing you have an LCD monitor anyway. While it is true that these can be effected by magnetism, it's to a lesser extent than a CRT. Even if you have a CRT, I doubt you'd see any effects. I've been placing speakers right by my monitors for years and never had problems. Having said that, I'd recommend you don't stick the woofer right next to the monitor. For one thing they are bulky and ugly. You really can't tell where the sound is coming from from a woofer, so you can stick it anywhere. Stick it out of the way, under the desk or something, you won't notice any difference.

Yeps, I have an LCD monitor. I think there's a two foot cable to attach the speakers to the sub, so putting it on the floor shouldn't be a problem.

If the sub did have to go next to the monitor, it'd be behind it, so I wouldn't be able to see it anyway. My old speakers have been living there for ages, and it doesn't affect the sound much. How about the speakers being near the System unit (the PC, in other words)? My speakers are there now, have been since day one and I haven't had any problems. As a matter of interest, what would the monitor do if it was being affected - weird colours everywhere and things like that?

Anyway, I went with the Logitech ones, ?19.99, what a bargain! Just hope this nonsense with the post doesn't delay them too much (my PC Gamer sub's been delayed by about six days so far - I emailed them today to see if there were problems at their end).

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Actually, I don't think two feet will be long enough for the sub to be on the floor, so unless the cables are longer, it'll have to go behind the monitor. It's not massively huge though and the monitor's 19in, so I don't think it'll be visible.

Sureshot

Executive member
You don't want the sub behind the monitor. Get a cable extension.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
You don't want the sub behind the monitor. Get a cable extension.

In this picture:

904740x.jpg

you can clearly see the remote - that wire looks very short indeed, doesn't it? If the woofer's not meant to be put on the desk, how the hell are you supposed to use the remote with such a tiny cable? There are no controls on the speakers themselves, as you can see (bit of a daft design decision in my book, but I won't mind if I can use the remote).

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Ah but in that picture the speakers don't have any wires coming out the back either ;)

Ever notice when you see a computer on TV you never see a mass of wires trailing down the desk? Ever notice when you see a TV ad for a nice flat screen TV, it doesn't have a mains lead, an Ariel, a scart or a hdmi cable dangling down from its pristine stand? Cables are always removed from things like that for advertising purposes.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Ah but in that picture the speakers don't have any wires coming out the back either ;)

Ever notice when you see a computer on TV you never see a mass of wires trailing down the desk? Ever notice when you see a TV ad for a nice flat screen TV, it doesn't have a mains lead, an Ariel, a scart or a hdmi cable dangling down from its pristine stand? Cables are always removed from things like that for advertising purposes.

You're probably right mate, I'll find out in a few days anyway. :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Well, they've arrived.

They're amazing! Tiny little things and the woofer's not huge either, but the bass they can generate is unbelievable. All cables were long enough, so the woofer's on the floor, with the satellites either side of the monitor.

I'd recommend then to anyone looking for a 2.1 system that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. The only thing that annoys me is you have to change bass/treble via the system settings, but that's no biggie.

Edit: Not too sure, but I don't think it'll do them any good to have them on loud with maximum bass for too long. They're capable of a lot of noise though!

Last edited:

Hunter Mort

School Cricketer
Hello guys!

I have a jvc stereo in my bedroom and I am looking to hook up a subwoofer to it. Can i do that and Can you hook a subwoofer up to a regular speaker connection on the back..

Users who are viewing this thread