Your Cricket Starting to play cricket ?

Only thing you can do in Cricket is get better. If you practice hard enough there's always an oppurtunity to shine. Don't worry to much if your underperforming, you just need the encouragement and belief in yourself that you can do it.

I mean McGrath got his average from 4 -> 7 in the last 4-5 years by just practising, even got a 61!

Train hard, Good Luck!

I dunno if its the case in England, but apparently in Australia, in the lower grades, just about anyone can play, so you probably wouldnt be not upto it.

Also, play within your limits. I know I'll never hit the ball like Symonds or KP or Dhoni, and I know I won't be able to spin and drift it like Warne. So, I just do what I do best. You should do the same. Just focus on not getting out and being accurate. Dravid, Bradshaw, Kumble, Kallis. Look at them. Just sticking to the basics...

Had my first session tonight, went really well, didnt have any equipment so couldnt bat so i worked on my bowling for an hour and a quarter. There was a proper coach there and he gave me some really good tips and by the end i was hitting middle stump. Was great, now need to buy some stuff, gonna spend about ?140 on cricket stuff in the end. Ordering my bat, helmet, legpads and gloves tommorow.

well done cricket is expensive at the start but u wont need to buy much for the next couple of years... also a box is a must :p

Certainly a bat and a box are pretty essential. My club has a few bags of 'Club kit' for people who don't have their own, and I'm sure if you ask around there's someone who'll let you borrow their pads, gloves and helmet. Spending ?140 after 1 net is a pretty big decision.

not gonna be spending the ?140 in one go, only gonna spend about ?100 tonight, gonna buy my bat, gloves, legpads, box and helmet, should be sorted for a while with that. It's my birthday on the 25th of jan so money isnt a problem. Also selling my wii for ?340 so i have plenty of dosh, need a new pc aswell though.

King Pietersen said:
Hiya guys
I am REALLY considering starting playing cricket but i'm not really sure where to start, i'm 17 this month and have really developed a love for the game over the past 7-8 months and love everything cricket. I really want to start playing cricket but i am stuck on where to start. I was just wondering if anyone knows any good cricket clubs in suffolk which are open to beginners. I'm about 5ft 8ish but pretty scrawney (9stone) and am abit worried i dont have the figure and build to play cricket but really want to give it ago. Only time i've played cricket is on holiday last year when me and my dad where playing cricket on the beach, him bowling at me (spin and some medium pace), i seemed to be able to hit the ball further than my dad, but it was only a tennis ball with a crappy ?8 bat from jjbsports. Any help would be welcome.
cheers guys

I was in the same situation a year ago. Most clubs will take you on (grateful for the subs), and just don't expect to play immediately. Go to the net sessions, watch, listen and learn. Don't get disheartened if you bowl/bat badly at first, just consider what you're doing wrong. I was awful at first, but now I'm good enough to play (I think), for my 4ths next season, which effectively is the under-18s.

I also have spent this winter going to the gym a lot, playing a lot of football and shadow batting. Muscle helps in cricket, I strained my muscles every week for about 2 months last year. Most importantly, focus on two things - line and length (bowling), timing and power (batting), and you'll do fine.

Had 3 sessions now and LOVING it, bowling has come on leaps and bounds, from absoloutely atrocious slow wide balls to alright medium pace. Had my first experience of batting aswell tonight aswell, was really fun. Once i started getting my head over the ball and getting my stance and "trigger movement" better i was hitting a few shots. Edged a few balls from the bowling machine though but only got bowled once and that was from one of the fast bowlers with a yorker. So happy i started playing cricket though as i am really enjoying it. I had needed to start playing sport after not playing any real sport for about 6 months, still skinny as though :D. Also, my dad has found some nets that we can go and practise at on saturdays as once every other week isnt really enough for me to develop my batting. Might be going this saturday but we have friends coming down from surrey so it's doubtful, also might be going on thursday depending on when the carpet fitters and electrician come, hopefully earlier. Nice work pursuading me to start lads, i am loving it, i have cricket fever :D

i had nets tonight and i was great slogged out and everything pulled off :)

Adarsh said:
@Dan, you have a bowling machine ?!! You're club must be sorted!

Yeh, its quite a decently funded club, recently got a ?16,000 grant from the council for 3 artificial wickets and a new tractor. Its pretty cool batting against the bowling machine, harder to pick the line and length though, still not too tough but you dont get to see the ball the whole way.

we got 2 bowling machines and i hate them, the balls are so hard to pick and the machine goes crazy sometimes. so far in one year i have learnt that cricket is all about confidence act confident things will happen, be nervous and there is no point in going out to the crease. in other news im bowling very quick atm :).

Lucky people all having success in nets :p My middle stump may aswell be attacted to the back of the nets :(

Users who are viewing this thread