T20 of the past

Sir Donald Bradman - I've heard he rarely played shots in the air. Would he be 'that' effective in T20 also as he was in tests?

Did you learn this from Shane Warne commentating on Ashes Cricket 2009 lol

1. S.Anwar
2. M.Waugh
3. Z.Abbas
4. V.Richards
5. G.Sobers
6. I.Khan
7. I.Botham
8. I.Healy (wk)
9. W.Akram
10. J.Garner
11. C.Grimmett

Yes :D So, is it correct?

I have no idea, I just heard Warne say it so many times that it's ingrained in my brain. I imagine it is true, but I heard that Bradman could be pretty aggressive when he needed to be.

Barry Richards
Mark Waugh
Donald Bradman
Viv Richards
Gary Sobers
Ian Botham
Imran Khan (c)
Allan Knott +
Richie Benaud
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner

Waqar Younis, Hugh Tayfield, Mike Procter.

Last edited:
Sir Donald Bradman didn't take too many risks in Test cricket, and it's been said he tried not to play shots in the air, whether that's an exaggeration or not I don't know, but if anyone was good enough to keep the ball on the deck it's Bradman. However, Bradman was more than capable of scoring extremely quickly. Bradman famously made a century in 3 overs. They were 8 ball overs, but even so, he did make a century from 22 deliveries.

I'm glad you brought this up, it was the exact point that I was going to bring up to say that he could up the run rate and play aggressively.

After seeing what Hussey did for Australia in this year's World T20, I suggest putting the great Micheal "THE FINISHER" Bevan in the team.

All the above suggested batsmen are ofcourse great but having the skills and experience to finish a limited over game in a fashion that Bevan used to do definitely counts for something and I doubt any of the above can do it with such command. Afterall, its not an all-time ODI side. Instead its a T20 one which definitely needs finishers.

What are your thoughts on it?

One of the differences between Hussey & Bevan. Was the Bevan wasn't a 6 hitter like Hussey. He would hit boundaries in odd places & run hard between the wickets. Which could be a slight problem in T20s compared to ODIs.

If Bevan was playing in that semi-final vs Pakistan. I don't think he would have won AUS the game, but he would taken them close.

Honestly i never knew that Huss could hit 6s until this t20 wc. He always seems to time the ball instead of giving it a whack.

Honestly i never knew that Huss could hit 6s until this t20 wc. He always seems to time the ball instead of giving it a whack.

Exactly!

Had Bevan been given a chance to play T20 he would have definitely adopted the format. I mean he is the best bet of them all.

Even Hussey wasn't much of a 6-hitter until recently so if Hussey can, Bevan too definitely can.

Plus, his cool nerves at the ending stages are simply priceless.

Nah Hussey was always a capable 6 hitter in ODIs after he got through his intial period of an ODI innings. Where he tennds to run the one's & two's.

Bevan never switched gears even when set in an ODI, to a 6 hitting mode at no point in his career. So i have my doubts whether Bevan could have adapted to such a role in a T20 to be honest.

C'mon.. if Dravid can anyone can :p

Users who are viewing this thread