Tait's Action Looks Suspicous

His arm does bend loads but if you look just a the point of delivery it is quite straight...

Not the point, it is how much his arm straightens. Your arm could be be as bent as a banana at the point of release, as long as it doesn't flex more than 15 degrees you're fine.

well i do kinda feel bad for him if they don't allow it years of practise since he was a child could be ruined right there.

He bowls like a javelin thrower and I would be lying if I said his arm did not look like that of a javelin thrower. There is a small bend and a definate straightening from which a large proportion of the pace is generated.

The question is whether the straightening is within the limits and that is one I cannot answer.

Malinga's action is not at all suspect ! The arm is very straight from what I've seen. It's just strange because it's round arm.

Oh don't get me wrong I know it's perfectly legal. However, bit of common sense here; If Malinga's allowed to bowl then Tait is.

Oh don't get me wrong I know it's perfectly legal. However, bit of common sense here; If Malinga's allowed to bowl then Tait is.
No....Malinga's arm does not flex, whereas with Tait there is a suspicion that it does. I don't see the comparison between the two apart from the fact that they're both fast and round arm. However, Malinga's arm is as straight as me, whereas Tait's is suspect.

Malinga's action is like Yuvraj's action, except at super speed. He doesn't ben is arm at all when bowling, it is straight throughout.

Tait's action, I do not like it. Honestly, it looks fine at full speed, but you see that quirk, that bend in slow mo, and it look horrible. Closest thing to a chuck I've ever seen.
But let's wait for some scientific evidence before calling him a thrower. For all we know, he might just be pushing the limit. Either way, I do not like it.

Rules are not built on common sense and it is foolish to state that if a bowler has a similar action to one with a legal action, he should be exempt from the rules. I may have sensed a bit of English bitterness toward the Sri Lankans after Sri Lanka retained the 1-0 lead today but I know evertonfan better than that:)

Biomechanically, I think the two have quite different actions but that is neither here nor there...

A video showing how much his arm bends as he starts to deliver, and another showing it as he releases the ball.

Also, it doesn't matter if his hand's straight when he delivers. That doesn't matter at all.

Malinga's action is not at all suspect ! The arm is very straight from what I've seen. It's just strange because it's round arm.

If you mean arm as opposed to hand than you really need to have a hard think. Who cares about your arm before you deliver, its irrelevant. Its the bend in your arm when you deliver that really matters. From that video posted, it seems there is a bend prior to release but the actual delivery is straight enough.

If you mean arm as opposed to hand than you really need to have a hard think. Who cares about your arm before you deliver, its irrelevant. Its the bend in your arm when you deliver that really matters. From that video posted, it seems there is a bend prior to release but the actual delivery is straight enough.

That isn't the rule though. As I said, it doesn't matter how bent your arm is at release, but if it flexes more than 15 degrees during the action then it is illegal.

Hardly irrelevant!

As you say, there is a clear bend before the release point, but the arm does appear to be straight when he releases it, but if his arm has bent more than 15 degrees to be straight at release, then it is illegal. Whether is has or not, I wouldn't have a clue!

That isn't the rule though. As I said, it doesn't matter how bent your arm is at release, but if it flexes more than 15 degrees during the action then it is illegal.

Hardly irrelevant!

As you say, there is a clear bend before the release point, but the arm does appear to be straight when he releases it, but if his arm has bent more than 15 degrees to be straight at release, then it is illegal. Whether is has or not, I wouldn't have a clue!

Right, now I get you!

You'll have to forgive Matt, he was in the crowd at Edgbaston in the T20 finals singing "Keep your arm straight, keep your arm straight, keep your arm straight when you bowl" at Malinga, while quite funny and a catchy tune it did make me thing "Erm, it is straight, blimey I thought I was drunk".

Probably a bit pedantic, but its not round arm, if it were round arm it would be illegal. Round arm came around way back when, when balls were delivered underarm. Legend has it that Kent batsman John Willes used to practice batting with his sister bowling at him in their backgarden. Back then women used to wear mountains of clothes (think of any English period drama) and her delivery used to go around the clothes but still underarm, Just below, I suppose, elbow height. Although there are reports that round arm bowling dates back even further than this, right back to the very origins of the game but was long forgotten.

As to Tait, can't see anything from a youtube clip that he needs to worry about legally (although its hardly hi-tech science). Has he been no-balled for his action? Because until someone consistently no-balls him, there isn't much to talk about.

Bring Drew to this thread, he'll tell you.

Doctor who is a chucker Academic degree in WTF.

murali chucks so why can't tait

and hes got the most wickets so leave the poor guy alone hes just starting

Last edited:
Gee if Tait accidently bowls a beamer as quickies tend to do at times i wouldn't want to be the batter. Malinga's arm is the straightest in world cricket its anatomically impossible for him to chuck with that action. Thats what I thought of Taits as well. Didn't seem bad to me he gets more pace than malinga because he releases the ball higher and i think is generally just stronger than him. I thought the only difference between them was the fact that Tait released higher but hmmm well dunno if he will be reported or anything.

I guess when someone bowls that quick there is inevitably going to be questions asked. I reckon the kiwis are going about it wrong though. The last thing you want to do is to come out and say it BEFORE the series it might just fire Tait up even more. Would've thought if they had a problem with the action they might have mentioned it after the series. They should just focus on trying to play the bowling. Wouldn't be the first time they had trouble with slingers. Malinga already has their number and they've faced him on a regular basis over the last few summers so you would think they would be getting better at facing them.

Users who are viewing this thread