The Best Domestic Cricket System

I would not entirely agree with that. Most of India I agree does not have a sports culture. But Kerala does have one. It may not come anywhere near the culture in Aus, but there is still a small one. Studies does come first, but kids play football and cricket in Kerala everyday. And not just in metros. All across the paddy fields you see these kids. And this is for the State in India that has the Highest literacy.
That's exactly my point. Studies come first. Being a professional sportsperson is not looked upon very highly in general, in India. People play sports all over India every-day but it's not really meant to be taken more seriously than a part-time hobby. There are very few middle and lower-middle class families that would have their children become aspiring cricketers, when they instead need them to become educated and get the job that they were dreaming about their whole life.

India needs to see this and take the sports infrastructure to these area where kids love the game. We can produce a world top 10 or top 20 team in every sport, but that can be done only if the government really goes to every corner of the country and spends money to build up the infrastructure. We know there is a lot of money but as we all know corruption will always be there.
I personally think the best cricketers in India don't even think about playing cricket as a job, but that's just my opinion. It's not only the governments priorities that are at question but also the way our culture is. I'm not prepared to say this is a bad thing, but it is something that is probably uniquely Asian. Whether you are intelligent or stupid, you are always supposed to concentrate on studies first and then think about sports or other recreational activities.

I guess that culture thing is true. I think it is a bad thing simply because it has in some way rubbed off on me. And this is not because of my parents. When I started coaching I realized that if I kept going at it I had a chance to get somewhere with cricket. Even summer camp playing everyday was much more fun for me than playing cricket with my friends.

Personally what I experienced was the opposite of what most Indian kids experience. My parents had absolutely no problem with me pursuing a career in cricket. They encouraged me in whatever I wanted to do. My dad even got me a gray nicolls and some adidas cricket pants because GN was like the greatest bat anyone in India could imagine. But I was never given a chance in my school so I was discouraged and decided not to bother about cricket in a serious way. I guess thats why my views will never be the same about sport in India as most Indians on this forum.

without having much experience with other domestic leagues, i would have to say that the australian one is extremely strong. playing in a weekly competition with players like macgill, tait, hodge and so on, is one with a player strength that can only be matched by the english county system. However I believe that the Australian system is far more rewarding for the national team, as someone mentioned above it creates a strength-in-depth of australian players, given the lack of foreigners.

From what I know I'd have to say that the Australian model of cricket is the strongest, which is proven by the strength of their national team.

Its probably unique in the fact that a 'club' player can rub shoulders with an international\good shield player (although it probably occurs less nowadays due to playing schedules) on a regular basis. This gives youngsters something to aim for as well as passing on that little extra 10% that you get from stepping up a level or two.

In England you'll only ever see one or two lesser county players or those coming back from injury and even then it's only in the very top rung of the pyramid.

Ultimately I don't necessarily think the Australian domestic system that causes the production of such consistently high quality sportsmen, more the national psyche. As a nation Australia are not particularly cultural compared to England for example. Therefore in order to gain attention the nation focuses on sports. Whereas people here can become famous via the media more easily, in Australia they do it via sports. This is why they are so proficient in many sports - Rugby, swimming, cricket etc.

From youth, because of the focus on sport, the Australians are taught to be competitive which obviously provides a strong mental foundation for sports. This competitiveness makes their domestic competition better.

Also I suspect a part of their national psyche being so competitive is as a response to the history with the British Empire (ie convicts being sent over there). But I really don't want to go there.

Users who are viewing this thread