The Cheltenham and Gloucester Trophy format modifications- your view

What do you think of the Cheltenham and Gloucester Trophy rule modifications?

• Total voters

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The highly criticised modifications to the format of the Cheletenham and Gloucester Trophy came to a point last weekend when the competition began. After carefully watching every ball of the match between Ireland and Hampshire at Clontarf I came online to hear numerous moans and groans about the new format.

I've been thinking about this and compiled an analysis of the modifications, from the opinions of the new and old cricket fan, as well as the England coach. You can read my analysis at my blog.

Now, all things considered, I want to know what YOU think of these modifications. Let's get debating!

EDIT: The debate so far:
  • Current format could produce dead matches that nobody wants to go to and no player wants to play in
  • The current format is good as it allows minor countries like Ireland the chance to beat a major team like Gloucestershire

Last edited:
I wasn't quite sure what to call it to be honest, but you've confirmed it for me now. All instances of 'rule' changes have been edited, in both the first post and the article.

bump

I really would like to hear your views on the format changes, I was a little disappointed that there were no replies overnight. All I ask is for you to read my analysis, vote in the poll and post a reason. I want your opinions so much I'm prepared to double post for it.

Fair enough. How should the groups be decided? By area? By a draw? Also, do you think there should be a qualifying round to give the minor county teams a chance in the competition?

I think the new format is comepletely pointless, there will be loads of dead games and not a lot of people are interested in watching them, and players can't be bothered to play in them!

Well that's clearly not been the case so far.

Ireland beating Gloucs.

Strong Surrey team being beaten by Sussex.

This new format works I think.

And it might be the case that the ECB have it right for once.

All 3 OD competitions (C&G, Pro40 and 20/20) run after each other, no overlapping, etc.

Which is good for the fans.

There have been some moans about the fact that the final isn't played until August and the teams are decided a lot sooner.

SkateBoarder said:
Fair enough. How should the groups be decided? By area? By a draw? Also, do you think there should be a qualifying round to give the minor county teams a chance in the competition?
My draw. I wouldn't have the minor counties in this competition, I'd have a knockout tournament separate to this one, with the following format:

1st round, 16 teams: Bottom 7 minor counties, Isle Of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, all 6 UCCEs
2nd round, 24 teams: 8 Winners from first round, remaining 13 minor counties, Netherlands, Denmark, England Under 19s.
3rd round, 32 teams: 12 winners from second round, Scotland, Ireland, 18 first class counties.

Knock out from then on.

Draws at all stages would be completely random, with no teams seeded.

That sounds like a pretty exciting and fair competition, and it allows the minor countries to play regular one-day cricket.

Cricinfo reports that next year the C&G Trophy (Or whatever it will be called next year, as the sponsorship deal ends this season) Will include Semi Finals in a effort to lessen the amount of Dead matches.

pro40 is a league aswell isnt it? and C&G is in a league format (at the start anyway)

why have 2 One day leagues?

so i think its bad

Users who are viewing this thread