The PlanetCricket View: The decline of Australian Cricket

Yeah that's a better 4 man unit you've outlined. I get the feeling that the selectors will look at Siddle and see that he's recovered from injury quicker than Harris and that puts him ahead at present for that 4th seamer spot. Unfortunately...

Simplest way I can say it:

We no longer dominate, but you can't say there is a better team currently than Australia.

We no longer dominate, but you can't say there is a better team currently than Australia.

Yes there is. As thing stand at this moment of time I'd say India and South Africa are both ahead.

If England were to retain the Ashes you can add them to the list.

Yes there is. As thing stand at this moment of time I'd say India and South Africa are both ahead.

If England were to retain the Ashes you can add them to the list.

Agreed,even as a sometimes bias aussie supporter got to admit India and South Africa are ahead.I still think we're ahead of England but not by much.Sri Lanka are behind all of those team i've listed cause they havent won away much.I mean the ranking say we're 5th, we were rank first, so to drop from first to fifth does say there are better teams than us.Lets not deceive ourselves into thinking that this Australia side is a very very good side, cause right now they're not.Above average is more like it.

lethalhughes added 17 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I really don't think Siddle is alll that erractic. I know he was in England but generally he's very economical imo.I'll go left field and say if we're looking for an economical bowler who moves the ball then Copeland's the guy.Trouble is though he hasn't played much domestic games.I do have a feeling we will see 4 quicks and no spinner in the first ashes test.Btw I am really liking the look of Hazlewood, Pattinson and Starc.

No way. India have been playing at home most of the time recently and SA are chokers who couldn't win a home series against us or England.

There is no clear leader atm.

There is no clear leader atm.

Although there is no clear leader South Africa and India are still better. I'm not sure what Australian team you've been watching since the Ashes last year.

I'm not sure what Australian team you've been watching since the Ashes last year.

The one that won almost every ODI series on its path and dominated Test series against WI, Pak & NZ (3 of the weakest teams i know, but we haven't played anybody else except India).

England this year...

Yea lost 3-2. So what? We won CT, won 4-2 in India and beat you 6-1 after the Ashes. Not to mention whitewashed everybody at home.

TumTum added 4 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Oh and Sri Lanka

We could have easily won that series.

Really we have been the best ODI team over the last year, as our ranking suggest.

Tests has been more of a struggle, but mainly because we played in difficult conditions in our last 2 series.

TumTum added 3 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

And you were only drew against Pakistan in England while England soundly beat them.

You guys had home ground advantage. It is the only place where you bowlers perform anyway :p

I think 4-2 win was in ODI series during Australia's last tour. I can't remember them beating India since Sydney 2008.

On the other hand India's performance in ODI's this year is pretty average due to the fact that they have been experimenting a lot. Trying a lot of new players and combinations. They haven't played their best ODI lineup in a long time.

As far as Ashes is concerned, I would say that England is favorite due to their recent form but English middle-order is famous for collapses of epic proportions. So a lot would would depend upon the form of K.P,Colly/Ponting,Hussey.

As far as Ashes is concerned, I would say that England is favorite due to their recent form but English middle-order is famous for collapses of epic proportions.

I'd still say that Australia are favourites to be honest. Home conditions good record at home and they're going to be geed up. Certainly wouldn't rule out an England win but I'd still have the convicts as slight favourites.

For that selector have to show some brains and pick Harwood instead of flashy MJ. He had a disastrous Ashes last year. And they could play a gamble with Trent Copeland. He has a amazing debut season for NSW. 45 wickets in 7 matches at a avg of 18, 3 5fers. He is tall (1.95m) thus get good bounce. Might give English batsman some trouble on perth.

The one that won almost every ODI series on its path and dominated Test series against WI, Pak & NZ (3 of the weakest teams i know, but we haven't played anybody else except India).

Thought he was talking only test, aussies are definitely the best odi side, in test India and South Africa whiles not clearly ahead of Australia are still better.

For that selector have to show some brains and pick Harwood instead of flashy MJ. He had a disastrous Ashes last year. And they could play a gamble with Trent Copeland. He has a amazing debut season for NSW. 45 wickets in 7 matches at a avg of 18, 3 5fers. He is tall (1.95m) thus get good bounce. Might give English batsman some trouble on perth.

Trent Copeland wont be pick now but i cant help but feel he is exactly the bowler this australian attack is missing.Still think though that Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and Johnson, is still a fairly good pace attack.A solid attack usually comprise of a good hit the deck kind of bowler, and very skilled bowler in terms of swing and an out and out pacer.I think we've got that in those 3 quicks just dat who'll lead the attack and another important thing is how able is an attack to sustain pressure for a lengthy period of time( thats the main weakness if you ask me,ruthlessness against the tail is another weakness.Are those guys really working on mastering the skill of bowling to tail end batsman?

Users who are viewing this thread