The Hillsborough Tragedy

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm sure the British users are aware that it's the the 20th anniversary of the disaster next week and I just think i'm making this thread to pay my respects. I wasn't alive at the time but my dad lost his brother at Hillsborough so it means a lot to our family.

Oh yeah and the Sun are bellends as well.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I don't think I've ever seen a minute's silence observed so respectfully as that at Anfield today.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, was gonna say that ^^

Blackburn fans were fantastic. Yeah, the Sun are twats.

sd92

International Coach
The Sun are and always will be a bunch of bellends. Why anyone reads that rag is beyond me. I almost said why does anyone with remote intelligence read it there, but realised - they don't.

The Hillsborough Tragedy was a terrible event. Hopefully nothing ever happens like that again.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The Sun would be the paper I look for first in a shop because it is news in light. It is easy to read it keeps you in the know and it doesnt bombard you with politics. The other papers are full of egotistical prats as well who fill up the comment pages with their worthless views on anything zany.

It is silly to blame The Sun as a whole for the lies about the tragedy as the editor resigned because of it. If the same team wrote the paper but rebranded would Liverpool fans still boycott it?

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
It is silly to blame The Sun as a whole for the lies about the tragedy as the editor resigned because of it. If the same team wrote the paper but rebranded would Liverpool fans still boycott it?

It's not just Liverpool fans who boycott the sun.

Although quite why anyone would read a tabloid is beyond me.

King Cricket

International Coach
Read this on today's "Telegraph." This might sound silly, but before reading the article I didn't know anything about this sad incident. I didn't even hear it's name. Sad incident, real sad.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
20 years today. 20 years ago now people were probably getting ready to leave home to get to Sheffield for the game. Churches across Merseyside are ringing their bells 96 times this afternoon and there is a minutes silence at 1506 which is the exact time the match was abandoned.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
This was mentioned on one of the Sports programs on Fox Sports News yesterday. Supposedly the stands were real bad back then and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

And that the tragedy is so deep that when one of the journalists on the show was at Liverpool outside the gate, everyone that walked passed crossed themselves at the memorial to pay their respects.

Just a question though, what actually happened. Did these people fall over the edge of one of the terraces or something. Watching a video on youtube, and there were people hanging off the edges.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This was mentioned on one of the Sports programs on Fox Sports News yesterday. Supposedly the stands were real bad back then and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

And that the tragedy is so deep that when one of the journalists on the show was at Liverpool outside the gate, everyone that walked passed crossed themselves at the memorial to pay their respects.

Just a question though, what actually happened. Did these people fall over the edge of one of the terraces or something. Watching a video on youtube, and there were people hanging off the edges.
Fatal errors by the police allowed too many people to get in the central pen. The stand Liverpool were given had 3 pens but the police did not direct the fans to the 2 side pens only to the central pen and therefore it was overcrowded. In those days there were not many seats hence why they were called stands and there were fences stopping people running onto the pitch because there were repeated pitch invasions. People got crushed at the front of the stand. The images you saw were people in the tier above the terrace trying to pull people who were being crushed up and out of the terrace to safety.

PhilD123

International Coach
Basically, the police opened a gate to ease congestion at the turnstile, which meant many people rushed into the middle two pens, leaving the pens either side, not full at all. As the people coming in tried to get a view, they weren't aware what was happening at the front. The mass of people pushed the ones at the front towards the perimeter fencing, leaving them unable to breath. The video you've seen with the people hanging off the edges will most probably be the people trying to escape by climbing over the fence.

No matter whats been said by a lot of parties since that day, it must be remembered, especially today, that those were 96 football fans, who were looking forward to a day out to support their team, cut cruelly short. It should never happen again.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The point is I have been to 23 Norwich games this season and I know Phil has been to plenty of Man United games. Thats all the people were doing that day. Going to support their team like we do now. I came home though.

Users who are viewing this thread