The Not So Great Thread of Harbhajan Singh

Ojha the best spinner of the next decade?

The Cricketing World is finding it difficult to find a decent spinner to replace Murali and Warne.

Warne and Murali! We don`t have anyone even close to Kumble at the moment!

I, for one, would drop Harbhajan and give the likes of Chawla, Mishra or Ojha a chance. Maybe some seasons of domestic cricket will help him to rediscover his form, like it did in the cases of Sehwag, Zaheer, and Sourav Ganguly.

Last edited:
Laxman's recent comment would have opened a can of worms. 'No good spinner in the horizon' and these performances will definitely shake up the selectors and the board and make them bring in other spinners now and hunt for new talented spinners.

Bhajji is ready to be dropped. Let me see how long he continues like this. Even on such flat wickets, you got to try and attack, but this guy just doesnt do it. Inspite of not being scored so quickly at, he bowls those darts quick and flat and reduces all chances of getting wickets.

He is suffering from the Monty Panesar type syndrome. After taking a decent amount of wickets he has lost the attacking ability. He used to be the best off spinner in the world by a long shot, now its Graeme Swann by a long shot

He is suffering from the Monty Panesar type syndrome. After taking a decent amount of wickets he has lost the attacking ability. He used to be the best off spinner in the world by a long shot, now its Graeme Swann by a long shot

+1

Harbhajan Singh is useless now. He should be dropped.

I would agree with Hmarka 100% on this. I think that India is probably at the moment the strongest batting side in the world in my opinion. I think with the likes of Sehwag, Tendulkar, Ghambir, Dravid. India has a deep batting lineup that is tough to beat, however there bowling attack has weakened substantially since the obvious leave of the great Anil Kumble. Now Harbajan was supposed to be the man to come out of the shadows of Kumble and really spin matches to India's favour.

Now the problem is that he has shown that he is not the same bowler that he was and that's why he must be taken out. Now the question is how do you find the next spinner to replace him, I think you don't need a GREAT spinner like Kumble you just need a spinner who willl be useful and can be very dangerous. A spinner like Nathan Hauritz, a guy who can take very crucial wickets like he did against Pakistan and a guy who won't go for too many runs at a time.

India has to test out a few spinners, I think the obvious choice is Ojha because he is like Gazza said he is very talented but they must test out a couple until they can find the right spinner.

All our focus is on batting (as if its the only department of the game). We are producing good quality batsman like Pandey, Pujara, Badrinath, Rahane, Raina, etc but we are neglecting our bowling (in bowling, our fast bowlers these days are given more importance than our tradition of spin)

As good as Harby is/was he was never the best offspinner in the world, Murali has that by a huge margin.

Harby is folding under the pressure because now they need him to be the aggressive wicket taker whereas before he wasn't the go to guy but got his wickets anyway.

Stepping into Anil Kumble's shoes is a big task it seems.

India struggling to find quality spinners - Laxman | India Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Even Laxman says that India are running low on quality spinners. Things are weird when India is having trouble finding good spinners.
Kind of defeats the purpose of having spin friendly tracks without a good spinner.

Indian tracks are`nt spin friendly anymore. They are`nt friendly to any bowlers which is the problem. We need more pitches like the ones we saw at Mumbai against SL in December last year.

Well there's no doubt that he is going through a rough patch in his career. He does have a lot of promise as a spinner and he was always going to be our next 'frontline' spinner for when Kumble retired. I still believe he is worthy of being in the team but with youngsters like Ojha and Chawla coming through the ranks he will really need to step up.

Thought I'd dig up a few stats for when Kumble and Bhajji played with each other in tests:
Kumble's record with Bhajji - All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Bhajji's record with Kumble - Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Users who are viewing this thread