The Not So Great Thread of Harbhajan Singh

Weird time to make this thread, maybe 5-6 years ago it would have been more appropriate. As of now he is only in the team based on past performances. Even hardcore Indian fans are fed up with him.

Yeah it's an awful time to ask the question. Straight after a game where he did nothing and looked toothless.

Here's my view: certainly in ODI cricket he's one of the greatest I think, especially if in 2001/02 type of form. Off the top of my head only Saqlain and Murali are definitely better while Vettori and possibly Maninder Singh in the late 80s would arguably be better too. So he's at least a top 5 ODI finger spinner IMHO. I think you'd have to say he's done a lot more than Mendis and the only other guys who MIGHT challenge him would be John Emburey and Peter Taylor.

Tests, hmmm. Not so high up, but he's got more competition. Here's guys who were DEFINITELY better: Murali, Bedi, Jim Laker, Tony Lock, Hughie Tayfield, Hedley Verity, Johnny Wardle, and Iqbal Qasim. But most of those guys are pretty historic, so he's definitely one of the better modern finger spinners. Guys he would probably rate similarly to in my books might be: Lance Gibbs, Fred Titmus, Alf Valentine, Saqlain. For the current guys: I think he's been a better Test bowler than Vettori. Easily better than Monty, and Swann too thus far.

Actually it's kinda interesting there hasn't been many great or even finger spinners in the last 30 years since Bedi and Gibbs retired. Murali is easily in a class by himself. Overall I'd probably have Saqlain and Harbhajan fighting for 2nd and 3rd best since the mid 70s.

I think the 'greatest fingerspinner ever' tag is reserved for Nathan Hauritz at the moment ...

Short answer: no. There seems to be a very thin line between greatness and talented on this site.

Saqlain > Harby

The death of the finger spinner is due to covered pitches. Not enough to work with off the pitch in fact off spinners are generally treated with contempt.

Daniel Vettori is a better bowler imo even if he isn't a better wicket taker, he bowls in a country that isn't suited to spin bowling and the pressure he maintains gets wickets at the other end. But are we talking about left arm spinners? or just right arm off spinners?

The only great spinner in world cricket is also the most controversial one, he is the ONLY one that comes close to that word "great"

Last edited:
Guys like Prasanna and Bedi get regularly spoken of as some of the greatest finger spinners that have played the game.

Harbhajan is not usually mentioned in the same league despite having more wickets at a similar average and a better strike rate.

Thoughts ?.

How about Murali? :p

He is undoubtedly a great bowler and can be categorized as one of best Finger spinners ever. Lets hope he continues to keep this art alive and kicking.

Users who are viewing this thread