Big Match Performers

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've often heard this debate about who are the players who are big match performers. I did some research over Cricinfo StatsGuru and prepared a list of players according to their batting an bowling averages in Final matches of Tournaments.

Batsman's list -

P.S. Only those players are listed below who have scored equal to or more than 500 runs in Final matches of Tournaments.

finalsm.jpg

Link: Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bowler's list -

P.S. Only those players are listed below who have taken a minimum of 16 wickets or more in Final matches of Tournaments.

finalsm.jpg

Link: Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

TumTum

International Cricketer
Final matches of tournaments is a bit misleading. I think all matches in the tournament are equally as important.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Have a looks at Tendulkar and McGrath's figures. Mind blowing. Viv Richards figures are equally amazing, but Tendulkar has maintained it over a much more number of matches.

Bublu Bhuyan added 1 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

But you can't get to the finals if someone doesn't perform on semis or group matches.

I agree, they are important. But they are not termed big matches.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
nah, it's a bit more tricky than that.

You get finals like the compaq cup, that SL, NZ and India thing they played last year. That had a final but it still sucked. India would have much rather won the series against australia afterwards.

WC semi-finals are equally as important as finals. You can't say that in 2007 Mahela Jayawardene's ton in the semi's when all the other batsmen were falling was not hugely impressive and made under immense pressure. (arguably was better than gilchrists barrage in the final, gilchrist got in and just blazed away, Jayawardene had to hold a crumbling line-up together)

Last edited:

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Not surprised to see Bevan and MCGrath at the top.

But I am surprised Ponting isn't there!

Robelinda

International Coach
Russel Arnold and Mark Taylor in the top 10? I agree with the above post, a tri-series involving Zim or Bang should be excluded, as the big final really is a damp squib. I'd say including all WC matches, but its really hard to accurately say who's best, but Viv and Sachin look awesome.

Robelinda added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Not surprised to see Bevan and MCGrath at the top.

But I am surprised Ponting isn't there!

Its not that odd, usually he isnt required that much as we steamroll opponents in most finals we've contested since 1997/98, the openers have done a great job for us in that time.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
But in finals, he's generally done pretty well.

Jayasuriya has a great finals record too, in Asia Cups and World Cups.

Users who are viewing this thread