Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Review Time

@ddrap14

:up: Strong batting, which isn't super common this draft; Saud-Rizwan-Bell-Reed is a potent top order, especially.
:up: Several spin options can't hurt us on turning wickets.
:down: What might is that our third quick is John R. Reid, who's more naturally a slow bowler anyway.

@Verified Enigma
:up: Four of the all-time greats (Sutcliffe, Sachin, Bedi, Shoaib) isn't a bad base to build around.
:up: Six solid bowling options, with three pace and three spin.
:down: Almost no batting from #6.

@ahmedleo414
:up: Charlie Griffith and Curtly Ambrose would destroy opposing top orders, and the third WI pacer - Dwayne Bravo - is good for closing out an innings.
:up: All-rounders make the side deep in both aspects of the game.
:down: As is the wont of this draft, batting - Monank Patel at #3 is necessary (WK) but drags down the ceiling of the side.

@Ed Smith
:up: Even if ten overs have to be bowled by Mahuru Dai, the other 40 make up for those - Warne, Bumrah and Walsh are all constant threats.
:up: Adam Gilchrist is the best keeper in this draft by miles, and has quite an argument for best opener too.
:down: This side could be bowled out for under 100 if he and Kanhai fail.

@Naman7
:up: 1-5 are probably the best in the competition; if they aren't, only Parth's is better.
:up: Five legit bowling options.
:down: Five legit tailenders.

@CerealKiller
NOTE FOR CK AND OTHERS - I discovered Courtney Walsh was taken by two teams only post-draft. I believe CK picked him latest, therefore I've replaced him with a like-for-like bowling replacement (who's actually slightly better with the bat) - Heath Streak.
:up: Streak and Malinga is going to cause pain with the new ball.
:up: Eight bowling options makes up for a slight lack in quality elsewhere.
:down: Batting. All around this time.

@Aislabie
:up: Batting is, shockingly, a strength for Aislabie's team - having that top four helps, but they also bat to 9
:up: Seven legit bowling options (Hammond and Border were quite underrated) and Basil Hameed if absolutely necessary
:down: But the best is probably Daryl Tuffey, and that doesn't bode well for taking wickets

@Aravind.
:up: Lance Klusener, the most destructive player in the world in the late 90s.
:up: Ravi Ashwin, the most destructive player in the world to Australians.
:down: Feels like a great 8-a-side team, but there's three others on the end of that lineup I feel won't contribute with bat or ball, which is a huge issue (albeit not one Aravind could have done much about)

@liveinasociety
:up: Dennis Lillee is a strike bowler, and Billy Bates should be very good in short form too.
:up: Syd Barnes, assuming the team can handle his personality, will carve up opposing attacks.
:down: Spots 3-8, maybe aside from Burge, all feel either merely ok or out of place.

@Till Valhalla
:up: Aubrey Faulkner. Jacques Kallis wasn't available for anyone to select, so Faulkner is the best all-rounder here.
:up: While it might be a little too balanced to spin (as mine was), the attack is going to get wickets.
:down: Outside of Faulkner, I have little to no faith in the middle order.

So yeah, all I can say is RNG really likes bowlers when it comes to ODIs. I've not got the time to rank everyone, and I think given this might have been the most challenging RNG yet, everyone did really well, but if I had to pick a winner if they all played, I'd probably place my money on Team Ahmed - it doesn't have the best bowling (Ed) or best top/middle order batting (Naman), but it's got high-quality depth in both areas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a final treat: @Aislabie provided me with a complete redraft of his team. Here it is:
Pool 1
:aus: :bat: Adam Voges
:nzf: :ar: Giff Vivian
:eng: :bwl: Bill Voce

Pool 2
:eng: :bat: Wally Hammond

Pool 3
:aus: :bat: Allan Border

Pool 4
:eng: :bwl: Willis Cuttell
:wi: :ar: Oscar da Costa
:ind: :wk: Vijay Dahiya

Pool 5
:saf: :ar: Brian McMillan

Pool 6
:eng: :wk: Sam Billings
:ind: :ar: Roger Binny
:ind: :ar: Stuart Binny
:eng: :bwl: Jack Birkenshaw

Pool 7
:pak: :bwl: Shakeel Ahmed
:ban: :bat: Shamim Hossain

Pool 8
:sri: :ar: Upul Chandana
:wi: :bat: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
:wi: :bat: Tagenarine Chanderpaul
:sri: :wk: Dinesh Chandimal
:ind: :bwl: Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

Pool 9
:wi: :ar: Carl Tuckett
:saf: :bwl: Lindsay Tuckett
:eng: :bwl: Alex Tudor
:nzf: :bwl: Daryl Tuffey
:eng: :bwl: Phil Tufnell

Pool 10
:eng: :bat: Vic Barton
:ber: :wk: Okera Bascome
:ber: :ar: Onias Bascome
:uae: :ar: Basil Hameed

Pool 11
:wi: :ar: Romario Shepherd
:eng: :bat: David Sheppard
:saf: :wk: Percy Sherwell

So my selection policy will be to pick the best players available first and then fill out my team as best I can according to roles. I will also lean slightly to players who have actually played white-ball cricket where appropriate.

First pick: Wally Hammond (2) - Best batter here.
Second pick: Allan Border (3) - Second-best batter here.
Third pick: Brian McMillan (5) - Perfect all-rounder for my team.
Fourth pick: Adam Voges (1) - Proven all-format batter.
Fifth pick: Percy Sherwell (11) - Best gloveman available, capable batter.
Sixth pick: Upul Chandana (8) - Chandrasekhar was good, but Chandana is such a proven ODI performer that I have to pick him.
Seventh pick: Daryl Tuffey (9) - I do need a proven international-quality quick bowler in my team.
Eighth pick: Stuart Binny (6) - A better batter than his dad, and probably better for the balance of my team.
Ninth pick: Shamim Hossain (7) - His first-class average is extremely average, but has the game to be a good powerplay hitter.
Tenth pick: Basil Hameed (10) - Kind of makes the team by default from his pool doesn't he.
Eleventh pick: Willis Cuttell (4) - 792 first-class wickets at 19.59 is a very handy addition to my spin attack. Can bat.

1. :aus: :bat: Allan Border
2. :eng: :bat: Wally Hammond
3. :ban: :bat: Shamim Hossain
4. :aus: :bat: Adam Voges
5. :saf: :ar: Brian McMillan
6. :ind: :ar: Stuart Binny
7. :uae: :ar: Basil Hameed
8. :saf: :wk: Percy Sherwell
9. :sri: :ar: Upul Chandana
10. :eng: :bwl: Willis Cuttell
11. :nzf: :bwl: Daryl Tuffey

Hindsight really does help one out.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Unluckiest draft for me so far.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
@Till Valhalla
:up: Aubrey Faulkner. Jacques Kallis wasn't available for anyone to select, so Faulkner is the best all-rounder here.
:up: While it might be a little too balanced to spin (as mine was), the attack is going to get wickets.
:down: Outside of Faulkner, I have little to no faith in the middle order.
I have Venugopal Rao I win.

Users who are viewing this thread