Time to support Ganguly, says Ranatunga

vibs89

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
After Wasim Akram expressed his support for the beleaguered Sourav Ganguly a few days ago, it was the turn today of Arjuna Ranatunga, the former Sri Lankan skipper, to express a similar opinion and support Ganguly's retention as India's captain until the next World Cup in 2007.

''He is too good a player to be axed. He is a very positive captain. I feel that he is one of India's best captains I have played against,'' Ranatunga told the Khaleej Times. "He is a very cocky and positive captain. I am not saying that others are bad. But this guy has performed. For the last couple of months he has been going through a bad patch. Everything has been going against him, including the slow over-rate thing. He is just having a bad run, a bad patch which most of the top cricketers have gone through."

Ranatunga, who led his team to World Cup victory in 1996, compared the current Indian batting line-up to his side then. "[Rahul] Dravid, [Sachin] Tendulkar, Ganguly and Virender Sehwag - that's a very, very strong batting line-up with Mohammad Kaif and Yuvraj Singh for the next World Cup," he continued. "I tell you that is more like my 1996 batting line-up. Actually it is much better than my 1996 World Cup batting line-up. If they can protect these players and go till the 2007 World Cup, I will not be surprised if India wins."

Ranatunga also urged the Indian board to back Ganguly during his batting slump. "This is the time for the team, the board and the entire country, including the media, to support and back him," he said. "Give him some time to recover. I tell you he is a top cricketer and needs just one good innings. I am sure Ganguly will do a great job [as captain] when he returns."

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If Ranatunga was saying this personally to me, I would give him a very warm hug!!! And reps to vibs89 for posting this here!

T20

Panel of Selectors
I agree..Dada will be back. get a new coach, preferably Dean Jones, get some new ideas going and we'll see the magic again! don't forget the same team a while ago was giving Aussies a good run for their money!

cheaterr

Club Cricketer
Time to support Ganguly? Haven't we supported him enough in giving him chances to prove him self again?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
cheaterr said:
Time to support Ganguly? Haven't we supported him enough in giving him chances to prove him self again?

He has led India admirably in the past years.. He has briefly showed touches of his peak form. The last two series (the test and the ODI's have been too poor for him!) or else, I dont see why he should be sacked from the team forever!

scorpion_rulezz

Club Cricketer
Ganguly shud not be axed!!!....Every player has his time tht sometimes he performs gud & sometimes he performs bad..He has been a gud & successful captain for India as he is banned now for 6 ODIs he has got plenty of time to come back in form....& prove tht his time is not up...he can make a successful come back & shut others mouth who are saying axe him etc whtever (HOPE SO :rolleyes: but give him some time)....i have been a gr8 fan of Ganguly i remember his innings of 183 against the Sri Lankans he was so close to break Saeed Anwars record but cudn't break his record but wht a innings it was simply superb.....
Way To Go Ganguly :hpraise

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
sohummisra said:
Personally, I think Indian cricket fans need a dose of realism. That's me included.

Dose of realism of what? Axe Ganguly or retain Ganguly?

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Wasim Akram has said the same thing what Ranatunga said.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
saisrini80 said:
Dose of realism of what? Axe Ganguly or retain Ganguly?
Ganguly is a minor player in the picture. We need to understand that we are not the second/third best team in the world. We have created legends for ourselves. Maybe I'm going overboard but if this team does not perform this season, I will begin to see India in a completely new light.

Users who are viewing this thread