To Buy or Not? A Casual fan discussion

The Cricket Captain series has all of that stuff like signing players, managing contracts, developing youth etc. from season to season with a county side in all the competitions (and international as well if you want) but is purely management/strategy without interactive gameplay (like Football Manager). The game has seen pretty much zero innovation or significant improvement in the ~20 years it has been around though, so if you have an old version you may as well just play that instead of buying the new one!

I'd say that's slightly unfair in regards to Cricket Captain. The improvements have been minimal, but it has improved as a whole and the 2015 edition is not a bad game at all especially from the bowling side of things and risk/reward match type situations.

i'd say buy it, Big Ant is releasing patches and i hope also there will be a big patch/mod from the community, like the one in games
like Skyrim. The game is a very good sandbox, i hope many things can be added.

Yeah there seems to be alot to like about it. But running a team in an ongoing career is something I enjoy in these types of games. If that mode isnt htere or that fun, I can find myself not bothering with it... and as such, 40 quid for a game that I may complete a random one off T20 competition or similar, isnt value for money for me personally.

Believe me, im tempted, but as a casual fan of the sport, I need a hook to bite on.

Yeah there seems to be alot to like about it. But running a team in an ongoing career is something I enjoy in these types of games. If that mode isnt htere or that fun, I can find myself not bothering with it... and as such, 40 quid for a game that I may complete a random one off T20 competition or similar, isnt value for money for me personally.

Believe me, im tempted, but as a casual fan of the sport, I need a hook to bite on.

My advice would be to spend less than a tenner on ICC2015 and by the time you get bored of it DBC17 will either be cheaper and/or far improved via patches.

I'd say that's slightly unfair in regards to Cricket Captain. The improvements have been minimal, but it has improved as a whole and the 2015 edition is not a bad game at all especially from the bowling side of things and risk/reward match type situations.
I have 2014 on Steam and while it's not a bad game, overall it was almost identical to ones I played in the early 2000s except there are more sixes hit, Indian domestic teams (which I don't use anyway) and rule changes like powerplays etc. It feels like each year it's 99% just a database update - until they do something significant with it I won't buy another one, but I'm not holding my breath from their track record!

I have 2014 on Steam and while it's not a bad game, overall it was almost identical to ones I played in the early 2000s except there are more sixes hit, Indian domestic teams (which I don't use anyway) and rule changes like powerplays etc. It feels like each year it's 99% just a database update - until they do something significant with it I won't buy another one, but I'm not holding my breath from their track record!

I felt the same from about 2010, played a few demo's of the later ones, wasn't impressed with them but bought 2015 on a whim and as I say it's alright, it's not Football Manager though!
From a bowling point of view you can bowl to plans and according to conditions and as I said previously there is a really good risk/reward element to the game that other titles haven't be able to capture. But you are right it's generally database and skin that changes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread