Too much ping a bad thing???

andyuk456

School Cricketer
My son is 13 but built like a 15 yr old. His game is all about big strikes and boundaries. He had a trusty kookaburra kahuna which it’s safe to say he has worn out over 3 years use. We bought a new bat and all seemed good at first but the new bat seems less forgiving with some of the big shots. A lot less predictable. We’ve compared profiles and edges but could the bat be a little too new or too much ping? I have no idea so thought I’d throw it in here for anyone’s thoughts

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My son is 13 but built like a 15 yr old. His game is all about big strikes and boundaries. He had a trusty kookaburra kahuna which it’s safe to say he has worn out over 3 years use. We bought a new bat and all seemed good at first but the new bat seems less forgiving with some of the big shots. A lot less predictable. We’ve compared profiles and edges but could the bat be a little too new or too much ping? I have no idea so thought I’d throw it in here for anyone’s thoughts
Cricket bats aren't an exact science, and some of them just don't quite perform how you'd hoped. I had a bat once that was just inexplicably dead - it didn't matter if I middled it perfectly, the ball just trickled off it. On the other hand, my current bat is about 13 years old now, and every time I take it to the bat maker for a refurb he gets excited because of how well it pings. I have to agree with him, it's the best bat I've ever had, and when I bought it I just picked it off the shelf off vibes. I've even had a bat before where I hit an on-drive really well, only to look down and see that the entire back had fallen off the bat. Cricket bats are ultimately just pieces of wood that we're hoping will do what we want from them.

It can also take time to adjust to a change of equipment - even if it's objectively unchanged or an upgrade, most cricketers are worriers at heart and we do love to stress about things.

I don't really have a point here, other than that sometimes bats are just different even if there's no exact reason why.

Oh, and have you knocked his bat in for him?

andyuk456

School Cricketer
Cricket bats aren't an exact science, and some of them just don't quite perform how you'd hoped. I had a bat once that was just inexplicably dead - it didn't matter if I middled it perfectly, the ball just trickled off it. On the other hand, my current bat is about 13 years old now, and every time I take it to the bat maker for a refurb he gets excited because of how well it pings. I have to agree with him, it's the best bat I've ever had, and when I bought it I just picked it off the shelf off vibes. I've even had a bat before where I hit an on-drive really well, only to look down and see that the entire back had fallen off the bat. Cricket bats are ultimately just pieces of wood that we're hoping will do what we want from them.

It can also take time to adjust to a change of equipment - even if it's objectively unchanged or an upgrade, most cricketers are worriers at heart and we do love to stress about things.

I don't really have a point here, other than that sometimes bats are just different even if there's no exact reason why.

Oh, and have you knocked his bat in for him?
Yes the bat was professionally knocked in for us. It is a good point that all bats are different. When it connects it flies. But like I say he’s 13 so when it doesn’t go well it’s the bat

Users who are viewing this thread