TV Series General Discussion

For me it's the monetization of it all. For example something like Hannah Montana is designed to create revenue streams at hundreds of different points. There's some new cartoon as well that is pretty much designed to sell toys. It is a brand ahead of anything else. This is certainly not a new thing of course, but it always seems so much more cynical these days.

I love Looney Tunes, but that love fades in comparison to my love for Tom and Jerry. Everything has a place for it, though. :)

Bugs Bunny is one of the coolest cartoon characters ever, and Roadrunner makes me feel extremely nostalgic watching it now. It's funny how illogical yet lovable cartoons they were, and are.

I'm not going to pretend that early Disney was all good though, considering how the guy himself was a massive Nazi.

For me it's the monetization of it all. For example something like Hannah Montana is designed to create revenue streams at hundreds of different points. There's some new cartoon as well that is pretty much designed to sell toys. It is a brand ahead of anything else. This is certainly not a new thing of course, but it always seems so much more cynical these days.

Yep. Very valid point and part of the reason pretty much every Disney star has to be able to sing or dance or something.

Also I think generally kids are growing up faster these days with internet, TV, video games etc all a lot more important. They want to see things that usually would be associated more with an older age group. Hence why in shows for 9-10 year olds, 16 year olds are acting as 13 year olds and what not. So I suppose in a way these children's TV companies are adapting to their audience, while still producing a few shows of the older type. Unfortunately, those older style shows don't cut it.

Though really, I think Disney has become bad, but not as bad as Cartoon Network. That is ridiculously bad. Even as little as four or five years ago I remember watching the occasional episode of things like X-Men and Ed, Edd and Eddy, and thinking they were OK. Now I feel like cringing whenever I see the show on Cartoon Network.

Almost Naked Animals
Spliced
Ruby Gloom
Gawayn
King Arthur's Disasters

All of these give me a good laugh every time...and I'm over 12.

Kid vs Kat has had the odd really good episode.

Then going back of course there was Daria, which was not only funny, but heartwarming, and informative, etc. etc... pure quality.

Well supernatural once again I say is decent one. Anger Management is okish not so great and not bad too :p

But the best is 70's show man its amazing

Well supernatural once again I say is decent one. Anger Management is okish not so great and not bad too :p

But the best is 70's show man its amazing

Yeah Anger Management is OK. Never gave Two and a Half Men much of a chance so thought I'd give this a chance. It has its moments but it's certainly not comedy gold or anything.

Still, I definitely think they will end up renewing it for the extra 90 episodes. It has potential to be decent. Now I'll probably just watch it when I'm bored.

Finished the first season of Arrested Development, so awesome. Going to take a break from it though. Also watched the first season of Boardwalk Empire. Great setting, but the novelty of the setting wears off. Plot isn't crazy or anything but still fairly unpredictable and enjoyable, potential to have an outstanding second and third season.

I saw the first episode of Anger Management, just didnt find it too funny tbh.

Has anyone seen Suits?

I saw the first episode of Anger Management, just didnt find it too funny tbh.

Has anyone seen Suits?

Haven't seen suits but have heard a lot of positive reviews, the trailer looks really good. Never on when I watching TV

I really like Matt Le Blanc's new show 'Episodes'. Recommended. It's not the funniest show out there but it's smart, well written and executed. Great actors as well.

Just wondering, does anyone have any recommendations for the must watch shows in comedy genre? I've watched Friends, Two and a half men, How I met your mother and Big bang theory. All four of them are great, is there any show as good as the above 4, or perhaps maybe just a good comedy show going currently/was on in the past?

Arrested Development is amazing. Many people would call it the best comedy of all time. Definitely the best I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread