UCL style 50 (45) overs league?

Paranoid Kendroid

Alive In The Superunknown
Fantasy Cricket Team
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not sure how many teams to consider but something similar to the abandoned CLT20, but the knockouts will be in pure UCL style, involving home/away legs with the final NRR being considered to get through (if you have a better idea for a tiebreaker, hit me up in my inbox). Only thing I am not sure of is whether to pick T20 franchises or the domestic List-A sides. Treat this thread like a discussion one for now.

And rather than 50-overs-per-innings, I would go for 45, mimicking the 90 minutes stoppage time of football.

I think with domestic List A sides there would be a much greater skills mismatch; T20 teams would make for a more competitive tournament
I don't know man, I think the sheer amount of player clashes in T20 teams will be quite mind-numbing.

Personally love the 50-over format more, but if you wanna go do a 45-over or T20 league, then please do. And do reserve the Pakistani champions for me. ;)

Domestic sides sound better with few overseas options. And I think we can have a limit on overseas signing based on how many international caps your squad has.

One thing I'm not sure of is how to include the winners of different competitions. Since there are many countries whose domestic season starts at a different time.

Maybe I can include all those tournament winners, which started in the calendar year 2023. Or I can use the "season 2023/24" or "season 2023" or "season 2024" based on ESPNcricinfo.

Please note that as a rule of thumb, any series or tour or tournament which began between the six months of April and September of any given year will appear in the relevant single year season and any that began between October and March will appear in the relevant cross-year season - For example the Indian Premier League that spanned April to June 2014 will appear in the 2014 season. However the Asia Cup in February/March 2014 will appear in the 2013/14 season. Matches which overlap these boundaries by more than a trivial amount will generally be assigned to the cross-year season, such as the World Twenty20 between March 16 and April 6 2014 can be found in the 2013/14 season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread