Umpire Benson retires with immediate effect - Row over the Review System

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Mark Benson is planning to retire from umpiring with immediate effect following his sudden withdrawal from the Adelaide Test. The Sunday Times has reported Benson was upset over several incidents involving the Umpire Decision Review System on day one of the second Test between Australia and West Indies, one of which led to his original decision being overturned.

Umpire Benson heading for retirement | Cricket News | Australia v West Indies 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

I don't like the guy but props to him for standing up for himself.

He's being silly. The review system is working like a charm now, especially in yesterday's NZ-Pak match.

If you read his story though, he gave a decision, Ponting referred it and then it was shown that Benson was right, but Ponting was still attacking him with verbals.

If you read his story though, he gave a decision, Ponting referred it and then it was shown that Benson was right, but Ponting was still attacking him with verbals.

Yeah, Ponting was abusing the umpires once again. He should be fined. It's hardly the system's fault though. Ponting was being a little unreasonable, to say the least.

Ponting fans, don't go ape ████ on me. He's gotten away with this sort of abuse before and I'm just stating what I think. He's a great player and all but is far too vocal.

The thing is the 1st and 2nd decisions on Shiv were virtually the same. No clear evidence on either one to give the batsman out. I can see why he is upset, if the 3rd umpire didn't give the 1st one out then why give the 2nd one out.

If it's over the review system he's a dumbass. If it's for other reasons then fair enough.

The commentators were pointing out how all the reviews were coming against Benson, so no surprise he got pissed off with everyone second guessing him.

When we have review system, why shall the umpires stand along with the players as long as they play? And Players expect accurate decisions. If they give wrong decision, this'll happen.
And When we have review system, we can employ many junior umpires to check for No Ball conflicts and main umpires (On field umpires and third umpire) can sit in AC room, enjoying the match by having food at their convenient time, and giving accurate decisions by having replays as many times they need.
I oppose review system.

Haven't followed the Windies-Aus game at all but reading the Cricinfo article it said that Bollinger and Ponting reacted angrily when Rauf upheld the first Benson decision. Obviously if an umpire isn't getting respect despite being backed up by the technology, there are going to be problems.

Review system should be taken out.
it can be tested in T20's but it costs, when implemented in tests.

Users who are viewing this thread