Unzipping and Unraring Problem

Abhas

Retired Administrator
ok... try clearing the cache of firefox, and delete the temporary internet files, and then try to download a small file...

Use a Command-Line Download Utility

If, for some reason, you don't want to migrate to a better browser, a lighter footprint solution to the corrupted download problem is available through the following command-line download programs:

* GNU Wget (Windows binary) http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/
* cURL (Download page) http://curl.haxx.se/

These programs allow you to download files from servers using the Web HTTP, secure HTTPS, and FTP protocols with a simple command entered at the Windows command prompt like:

wget http://www.fourmilab.ch/homeplanet/download/3.3a/hp3full.zip

You can avoid having to type in the URL for the document by right clicking the link in your Web browser and choosing a menu item like “Copy Shortcut” or “Copy Link Location” to copy the URL to the clipboard, whence you can paste it into the command prompt window. Not only are these utilities immune to the problem of silently truncated downloads, if something does go wrong during a download, they are both able to resume the download at the point it was interrupted without having to download the portion of the file you have already received; this can be a life-saver when downloading large files on slow dial-up connections which are prone to dropping out at random times.

I found this in nick's link. this may be a bit useful...
i dont think the ftp is a very nifty solution, because only a few websites allow anonymous ftp access.

though, what i feel, it may be due to your internet connection, or a firewall, trying to block download and upload of files...

Have you tried to upload any file? try uploading a zip archive (around 1 mb). (you can upload it on rapidshare.com, megaupload.com, yousendit.com or any other file sharing host)

Last edited:

rabeta

News Team Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
ok... try clearing the cache of firefox, and delete the temporary internet files, and then try to download a small file...

I found this in nick's link. this may be a bit useful...
i dont think the ftp is a very nifty solution, because only a few websites allow anonymous ftp access.

though, what i feel, it may be due to your internet connection, or a firewall, trying to block download and upload of files...

Have you tried to upload any file? try uploading a zip archive (around 1 mb). (you can upload it on rapidshare.com, megaupload.com, yousendit.com or any other file sharing host)

Yes, I can upload files fine, and the part you quoted, well you said it wasn't that necessary, just as well, 'cos I don't have a clue about what it is on about :p

rabeta

News Team Member
are you using any download manager??
if not... why not try using one??
Try Download Accelerator Plus...

I've tried that software, works a treat for speeds, but does not stop the corruption.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Wow seems like quite a problem. How do you connect to the internet? And also, have you noticed whether you can receive files via an email client (such as Outlook Express) and whether they get corrupted as well?

Also, when viewing web-pages, do they seem truncated at all?

It seems like this may be a problem with the way your connection hardware is handling data, rather than a software issue. Since it will be difficult for you to get wget (and also I'm not sure how you would use it on windows without some sort of unix shell) you can try telnet.

rabeta

News Team Member
Thanks sohum, but would you mind helping me with this please. I found this site that might help and have downloaded the two programs asked for, they worked.

Here is the tutorial:

http://www.errorforum.com/os-tutorials/82-fixing-corrupted-download-files.html

I then got up to the command prompt bit, ran 'cmd' and it came up with C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew>, is this right? I then typed in the code asked for in the tutorial and my binary numbers were 00000672 - 00004080. I entered them in in the right places and entered the right web address:

HTML:
http://fs5.filehippo.com/4942/541c9e53f3e342e3ba4699b0eb532a9c/jre-1_5_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe

I am not sure if I have done everything right though, would somebody mind, using the info I gave, showing what code I should type in.

This is getting technical :p

I figured out how to get to the rot (C:\), but it keeps coming up with the error, curl is not an operable program. Any help?

Last edited:

rabeta

News Team Member
Had another crack at it, and I can now execute curl, however this is my current problem, can anyone see why this is, after looking at the link to the tutorial above?

rabeta

News Team Member
That's the Winhex link though? Not the downloaded java one...

Abhas

Retired Administrator
the java link is no longer available...

ist download winhex using that link direct (not using curl)
check if the archive is working...

then dowmload the whole file with curl...

Last edited:

rabeta

News Team Member
What do you mean? It still ask me to download java when i enter it into the URL address and then press enter...

Abhas

Retired Administrator
does it???

for me it is saying : "The system cannot find the path specified."

could be due to country restrictions...

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Rabeta--I'm not sure what you're trying to do... are you trying to fix your corrupted downloads? I thought this problem occurs with any file you download, rather than just large files.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
are u behind a proxy by any chance?? i.e. are you using some other computer's (on a lan) net connection to connect yours??

Sometimes proxies do create problems while downloading and browsing..

rabeta

News Team Member
Well I connect to a router and my other computer also has the same problem and is connected to the same computer. I don't have a clue about proxies by the way, how would I get rid of them/change them?

Users who are viewing this thread