Volcanic ash halts all UK flights

here's a pic of Eyjafjallaj?kull from space

fimmvorduhals_ali_2010083.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I'm confused ! Will this increase the world temperature by global warming (it should) or decrease it as happened in Laki's case when world temperature was dropped by 1 Degree F ?

Last edited:
Should've gone to the UK for school holidays :p, bloody school tomorrow!

Hey I'm confused ! Will this increase the world temperature by global warming (it should) or decrease it as happened in Laki's case when world temperature was dropped by 1 Degree F ?

I think it depends on a number of factors - though it was nowhere near as big as Laki, so I don't think the effects will be significant. Can't believe that farm labourers deaths were linked to Laki at the time. Amazing when you consider where Laki is in comparison with the UK.

Let's hope Yellowstone remains dormant......

As far as the opening of UK skies tomorrow, all I can say is I hope they are sure and haven't crumbled to Airline pressure. If one plane goes down because of this - it would be far more damaging to airlines than another couple of days of restrictions.

Airlines are losing 100s of millions a day, even if 2 planes go down it will be worth the law suit rather than not flying for another few days.

Airlines are losing 100s of millions a day, even if 2 planes go down it will be worth the law suit rather than not flying for another few days.

It really wouldn't. Number 1 - Peoples lives are priceless and not "worth a lawsuit". Number 2 - The airlines that lost the planes and the industry in general would be hit incredibly hard, with many airlines going under.

Last edited:
Yea but my point being that travelling by airplane is not a choice. Its an inelastic demand and even if 100 planes crash, there is no other way to travel and people will still fly.

hMarka added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Number 1 - Peoples lives are priceless and not "worth a lawsuit".

thats a very admirable and idealistic way to look at things but in reality everything has a dollar value.

Two of my team mates got stuck at airport in India only. Flights got cancelled and worst thing is they were flying by Air India who do not have a rebooking system/software for the passengers who were scheduled to fly earlier. What a shame for Air India. Poor lads have to book their tickets again when there is availability.

I can now pronounce Eyjafjallaj?kull :)

My PE teacher is stuck in Florida, and a chap in the year below in Phoenix. It's a hard knock life, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread