VVS Laxman announced Retirement

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Since the old players are getting blamed, I'd really like to see one of the season's Test series being Tendulkar's last. It is high time that he goes and as it applied for VVS, selectors simply should not rest on Sachin's past laurels.

Additionally, this article here by Sanjay Manjrekar shows what a hypocrite he has been.
Interview-after VVS's exit.

Article

My advice to Manjrekar would be to stop defending his Maratha clan by propounding that Tendulkar is the only batsman India has. If truth be told, he ain't anyone to make such comments after what the world has seen from his own career.

Gurjot95

National Board President
Still not getting why are all people wanted veterans to retire esp Tendulkar. It's not like he is playing badly? He is still playing better than lot of youngster, heck he is even scoring more runs than before from last few years so why we all want him to go? Why fix it if it isn't broken?. It's same reason I can think for both Dravid and Laxman. They had 2 bad series and people started forcing them to retire. I hope for the sake of India's future whenever Tendulkar retires, India goes through a bad run for at least 5 years just to teach those stupid ----- to respect Seniors who carried the burden for 20 years. Indian cricket team would have been nothing without them.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Tendulkar stepping aside from the ODI set-up is a necessity. Picking and choosing games which he wants to play terribly upsets the apple-cart and creates a disturbance within the team.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Stats Analysis : VVS Laxman stats analysis: muggles | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Some nice stats to look at.

----------

There is some controversy with regards to his retirement, I feel he has been forced into it. Look at the news articles coming out everywhere.

And whats with the line - He could not reach MSD ? If that is true, its really very shocking that a person who is the captain of the Indian team could not be available for his players when they needed him the most.

Believing the Indian media. Smart. :facepalm

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Its is said that VVS had to retire because he was told to have been blocking a place of a youngster. Oh really? Then what is Badrinath doing in the team? I know Badri is fantastic domestic player and experienced as well but even if he gets going, he would hardly be playing for 4-5 years. Why pick such guy then? I'd go for a youngster like Mukund or Pujara who can serve the team for long alongwith Rahane.

Last edited:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Its is said that VVS had to retire because he was told to have been blocking a place of a youngster. Oh really? Then what is Badrinath doing in the team? I know Badri is fantastic domestic player and experienced as well but even if he gets going, he would hardly be playing for 4-5 years. Why pick such guy then? I'd go for a youngster like Mukund or Pujara who can serve the team for long alongwith Rahane.

Mukund is an opener and you only need one reserve opener, that's Rahane, we've picked him.

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
New Zealand in India 2012 : VVS Laxman retires from international cricket | Cricket News | India v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Another Legend for India goes. Best of Luck to him for future!

----------

Why are they all going at once? First Dravid and now Laxman. Just when Indian Test team needed something to raise their confidence, two legends exits. I don't see current Test team anywhere near the standards of old team 2-3 years back. It will be tough journey from now on..

It seems to be hasty, emotional decision . Talk around the town should not affect a good professional . I guess he just gave up .

----------

Yeah. That too with the first test at his home Hyderabad itself....

However, he was picked for the test...but with him announcing his retirement.....has the selection committee named his replacement yet?

Badrinath is his replacement . hmmm . Would interesting to know the criterion to pick Badrinath .

:facepalm

VVS is a good accomplished batsman whose match saving antics came into play when India's top order failed completely, which did not happen very often in his 17 year long career . However, if Laxman would have batted at number 3 India would have won many more matches . He had a good run , would have been better .

Manjrekar lashes out at everybody, guys like Sachin rarely seem to have any interaction with him. Few years back he had asked Sachin to retire . You need not be affected by what others are saying. The point is did Laxman really believe what was been said about him by a section of media and did he really think his time was up ? If yes then it is a good decision else you can say that VVS is just another casualty of harsh criticism .

I guess Rahane or Mukund will open with Gambhir, Sehwag might move to number 5 and Kohli at number 3 .

----------

Tendulkar stepping aside from the ODI set-up is a necessity. Picking and choosing games which he wants to play terribly upsets the apple-cart and creates a disturbance within the team.

:rolleyes:rolleyes

----------

Since the old players are getting blamed, I'd really like to see one of the season's Test series being Tendulkar's last. It is high time that he goes and as it applied for VVS, selectors simply should not rest on Sachin's past laurels.

Additionally, this article here by Sanjay Manjrekar shows what a hypocrite he has been.
Interview-after VVS's exit.

Article

My advice to Manjrekar would be to stop defending his Maratha clan by propounding that Tendulkar is the only batsman India has. If truth be told, he ain't anyone to make such comments after what the world has seen from his own career.

You are being ridiculous . Tendlya needs no defending neither does Laxman . If Laxman allowed himself to be bullied into retirement by media then the onus is on Laxman not on Sachin . Knowing Manjrekar this salvo is probably directed at Sachin , Laxman is just a casualty .

----------

Still not getting why are all people wanted veterans to retire esp Tendulkar. It's not like he is playing badly? He is still playing better than lot of youngster, heck he is even scoring more runs than before from last few years so why we all want him to go? Why fix it if it isn't broken?. It's same reason I can think for both Dravid and Laxman. They had 2 bad series and people started forcing them to retire. I hope for the sake of India's future whenever Tendulkar retires, India goes through a bad run for at least 5 years just to teach those stupid ----- to respect Seniors who carried the burden for 20 years. Indian cricket team would have been nothing without them.

It is not about the burden . They did not do anybody a favour and were payed the correct amount. It is about form . I Guess Dravid was in good form .Laxman was a bit iffy .And Sachin has rarely hit a bad patch(by other players standard's, not his).So this clamour for their retirement is amusing .

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
.And Sachin has rarely hit a bad patch(by other players standard's, not his).So this clamour for their retirement is amusing .

World Cup 2011 till the Asia Cup. If that was not a bad form,what was it ? Was he also not blocking the place of a youngster. More so in his case, since he ends up blocking Rahane.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't think Laxman was too swayed by Manjrekar's comments. Who is Manjrekar really when it comes to the Indian cricket world? He himself was an ordinary player who had a few good moments and now calls himself an accomplished Indian cricket critic. He has lashed out at Sachin before and he got pretty good mouthfuls from within the Indian cricket circles.

I think I would believe the recent rumor that I read where Laxman was told by a selector that they were expecting him to quit and that they did not like the fact that they were blamed for not taking the courageous route of dropping him for this NZ series. Something has happened behind the scenes between Laxman and the selectors and that along with the constant media speculation about Laxman being retained has caused him to jump the gun. I wouldn't blame him for it. He is a very soft natured guy and seems to have been hurt.

Lee1981

International Coach
Why are you finding it so hard to accept that he is just to old and not good enough now, show him some respect that he realised he isn't up to it no more and is making way for the younger players.

Pity Sachin hasn't followed suit, he has been milking his past glorys for far to long.

We get old, are abilities decrease that is life, accept it and make way, show some dignity, same as Strauss for England, the time has come,

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Why are you finding it so hard to accept that he is just to old and not good enough now, show him some respect that he realised he isn't up to it no more and is making way for the younger players.

Oh, he is certainly good enough. Better than quite a few in the current side. And all this talk of him making way for a youngster is bull-sh*t, when they pick Subramaniam Badrinath as his replacement.:mad

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The point of the matter is Laxman has decided to retire. All this debate whether he should or should not have is really not going to result in anything. Its time cricket fans pay tribute to one of finest batsmen of all time. He had one quality that even greats lack and that was his ability to turn the tide of the match. I have always loved him thrashing the best around. He did not seem to have the best technique but his hand eye coordination was second to none.
May he achieve whatever goal he has set for himself from hereon in.

jacobfelix

International Coach
Oh Yeah. Something has happened behind the scenes....:D

Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has added more fuel to the intense speculation about his strained relationship with VVS Laxman, when he revealed that he was not invited for a late night party thrown by the retired cricketer at his residence.

Laxman, who retired from the game in controversial fashion just ahead of the series against New Zealand, even though he was selected for the two Tests, threw a party on Tuesday for senior team members Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Zaheer Khan at his residence in Manikonda in the suburbs of the city. He, however, chose to ignore Dhoni for the bash.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Oh Yeah. Something has happened behind the scenes....:D

That's actually nothing. Dhoni and Laxman could have shared just a 'cordial relationship' between them while they were playing together for India. Or atleast Laxman could have been having a cordial relationship with Dhoni. The party he threw was for his close friends from the team. Not necessary for Dhoni to be invited.

And anyway, why care about some personal party at Laxman's place? As Indian captain, you don't have that many real friends anyway. Either you have a group buttering you, or you have a group that's not that friendly.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Prominent sources have revealed that VVS was miffed on account being handed an ultimatum-the 2 Tests versus NZL and thats what prompted the move.

Users who are viewing this thread