West Indies tour of England 2024 - 3 Tests

Was on the train back from Nottingham on Friday and someone was complaining about how we were picking a guy who can’t get in the Somerset team. I want to find him again and say this, this is why he was picked.

Only averages 70 in the County Championship though, so not sure if he's good enough.
Was on the train back from Nottingham on Friday and someone was complaining about how we were picking a guy who can’t get in the Somerset team. I want to find him again and say this, this is why he was picked.
The hilarious thing about all of this is that I think on balance, he probably isn't good enough - at the very least, he isn't the best spinner in England by any stretch and you'd definitely pick Leach ahead of him for a Championship XI. But Stokes' captaincy has so far been able to get the best out of Bashir's best attributes, and that has been exceptionally impressive.

The hilarious thing about all of this is that I think on balance, he probably isn't good enough - at the very least, he isn't the best spinner in England by any stretch and you'd definitely pick Leach ahead of him for a Championship XI. But Stokes' captaincy has so far been able to get the best out of Bashir's best attributes, and that has been exceptionally impressive.
I think Stokes is a huge factor (probably Baz and Jeetan Patel too). I can understand a county captain/coach not wanting to take risks on a young player - particularly when they have a vastly more experienced one in the same role. Stokes and McCullum, despite a mixed 12 months have a lot more rope and a long term goal, so are arguably better placed to experiment. It seems they clearly rate his ceiling higher than Leach and this summer is a good chance, home against weaker sides, to try him out.

I think Stokes is a huge factor (probably Baz and Jeetan Patel too). I can understand a county captain/coach not wanting to take risks on a young player - particularly when they have a vastly more experienced one in the same role. Stokes and McCullum, despite a mixed 12 months have a lot more rope and a long term goal, so are arguably better placed to experiment. It seems they clearly rate his ceiling higher than Leach and this summer is a good chance, home against weaker sides, to try him out.
I agree with all these points. I would also suggest that the biggest difference is that Bashir is being picked for how good his best ball (a hard-spun off-break from a two-metre release point is) and viewing the upside, rather than how a county side would be terribly concerned about the possibility of a bad ball per over

Another dominating English performance. Really feel the ICC needs to start according points for events within a Test match + introduce a tiered system to Test cricket. The gulf is huge and it isn't making for good viewing. Hate to admit, but apart from India, England and Australia, the others look grossly out of place. Or these 3 are out of place when it comes to Test cricket.

According points for events within a Test match: On the lines of what the Asian Test Championship in the late 1999's did. Otherwise, there's no way you can expect the others to even put together a side that can match the might of the Top 3.

Users who are viewing this thread