What are you listening to now?

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
@Na Maloom Afraad the one Junoon song where Ali Azmat's absence is a blessing in disguise
Absolutely gorgeous, no doubt Azmat's voice would've made a drastic difference and not in a good way. Tho I must say, this Nusrat Hussain guy's voice is giving off Junaid Jamshed vibes. And I absolutely love that. <3

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
"Pyala rakh de ek paasey
Aj nazran naal pila saaqi"

Put the cup to the side
O cup-bearer, let me drink from your eyes

Best part starts from 10:48
"Mai te peeni aye, peeny aye, mai te peeni aye"
I have to drink, i have to drink at all costs
(refrain, repeated many times, with poetry lines in between)
13:42
"Tu nahi wela, mennu de de maikhane di chabi
Ae gal meri sun le saaqi, ae gal meri sun le saaqi
Mai ta nahi Wahhabi, mai te peeni aye, mai te peeni aye, peeni aye, mai te peeny aye"

If you’re too busy, give me the keys to the tavern
Listen to my words, o cup-bearer
I'm not Wahhabi, i have to drink, i have to drink at all costs

"Wahhabis" are an extreme sect of Islam, prevalent in Saudi Arabia, who would disapprove of this type of indirectly devotional singing (explained below)

The lyrics have to interpreted through the meaning of the ghazal (love song), performed as part of a qawwali (devotional singing session)
  • A ghazal (Arabic for love song) is a song that sounds secular (non-religious) on the face of it. There are two extended metaphors that run through ghazals—the joys of drinking and the agony of separation from the beloved. These songs feature exquisite poetry, and can certainly be taken at face value, and enjoyed at that level. In fact, in Pakistan and India, ghazal is also a separate, distinct musical genre in which many of the same songs are performed in a different musical style, and in a secular context. In the context of that genre, the songs are usually taken at face value, and no deeper meaning is necessarily implied. But in the context of qawwali, these songs of intoxication and yearning use secular metaphors to poignantly express the soul's longing for union with the Divine, and its joy in loving the Divine. In the songs of intoxication, "wine" represents "knowledge of the Divine", the "cup-bearer" (saaqi) is God or a spiritual guide, the "tavern" is the metaphorical place where the soul may (or may not) be fortunate enough to attain spiritual enlightenment. (The "tavern" is emphatically not a conventional house of worship. Rather, it is taken to be the spiritual context within which the soul exists.) Intoxication is attaining spiritual knowledge, or being filled with the joy of loving the Divine. In the songs of yearning, the soul, having been abandoned in this world by that cruel and cavalier lover, God, sings of the agony of separation, and the depth of its yearning for reunion.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
"Pyala rakh de ek paasey
Aj nazran naal pila saaqi"

Put the cup to the side
O cup-bearer, let me drink from your eyes

Best part starts from 10:48
"Mai te peeni aye, peeny aye, mai te peeni aye"
I have to drink, i have to drink at all costs
(refrain, repeated many times, with poetry lines in between)
13:42
"Tu nahi wela, mennu de de maikhane di chabi
Ae gal meri sun le saaqi, ae gal meri sun le saaqi
Mai ta nahi Wahhabi, mai te peeni aye, mai te peeni aye, peeni aye, mai te peeny aye"

If you’re too busy, give me the keys to the tavern
Listen to my words, o cup-bearer
I'm not Wahhabi, i have to drink, i have to drink at all costs

"Wahhabis" are an extreme sect of Islam, prevalent in Saudi Arabia, who would disapprove of this type of indirectly devotional singing (explained below)

The lyrics have to interpreted through the meaning of the ghazal (love song), performed as part of a qawwali (devotional singing session)

Great explanation!

Although there are plethoras of kalaams like this, my personal favorite one is Maikada by Muhammad Samie (link below). I assume you'll like it too.

Users who are viewing this thread