What would convince you to try a new brand?

Lucky

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The title is pretty much self explanatory, I am mainly referring to sports goods here, but what would bring you to try a new product/brand?

D

Deleted member 13648

A very sexy girl on the advert.

I dunno actually that's a brilliant question. Probably if some mates of mine said it was good quality I'd try it. That's what made me change to Nike from Adidas actually.

D

Deleted member 13648

Yeah, looks does play a major part. Why the question though mate? Thinking of making a change in gear?

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
The design of the product and how well it fits into an advert is the most important.

Lets take Lynx the deodrant company. They have a fragrance called Africa which has red and green colours. If the advert had yellow and purple it wouldnt fit. Understand? or am i talking rubbish as usual.

The sexy girl method works but shows that the advertising part of a company isn't very well advanced on techniques. The sexy girl method also wouldnt work on Venus adverts ;) Wrong target market, and aswell childrens toys, although fathers may be interest.

Theres thousands of things which make or breaks a product, one way to get me, special introductory offer. Bring it out cheap, get people seeing it, buying it and above all else, trying it. If they like it you can raise the price and they'll more than likely stick with it because they become one of the "loyal" customers.

Lucky

International Cricketer
Just want to know what players out there think, and what influences their decisions. I don't know if people are really willing to move away from the bigger brands such as Kookaburra, GN, Slazenger, Puma and G&M.

Advertising is obviously a key issue, and I guess looks play a major role. I would not try out a new brand if I felt it looked average. Call me stupid but thats what I feel.

Yeah, obviously the sexy girl advert wouldn't work with a sports company, and wouldn't be seen as socially responsible, and children probably wouldn't be encouraged to use that brand.

It's a difficult thing to get the right approach I guess, but it is possible to make an impact with a new brand.

Last edited:

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Cricket relation. I go on trusted people. Almost Austwick would be one, he has shown me a few makers in which i didnt even know about and on further inspection he's right, always annoys me when he it!

D

Deleted member 13648

The design of the product and how well it fits into an advert is the most important.

Lets take Lynx the deodrant company. They have a fragrance called Africa which has red and green colours. If the advert had yellow and purple it wouldnt fit. Understand? or am i talking rubbish as usual.

The sexy girl method works but shows that the advertising part of a company isn't very well advanced on techniques. The sexy girl method also wouldnt work on Venus adverts ;) Wrong target market, and aswell childrens toys, although fathers may be interest.

Theres thousands of things which make or breaks a product, one way to get me, special introductory offer. Bring it out cheap, get people seeing it, buying it and above all else, trying it. If they like it you can raise the price and they'll more than likely stick with it because they become one of the "loyal" customers.

*Scribbles on hand for Business Studies exam tomorrow*

In terms of cricket bats I have a Woodworm Performance Torch. Nothing special, bit flash in terms of design. It does the job. In my case the job is to survive as I'm a bowler ;)

Lucky

International Cricketer
Cricket relation. I go on trusted people. Almost Austwick would be one, he has shown me a few makers in which i didnt even know about and on further inspection he's right, always annoys me when he it!

Now there's an issue. How does a new cricket company gain the trust of customers. There have to be people out there willing to try the products before this happens. I'll be honest, I am starting my own brand, as some people may know. I've designed the products myself and hopefully people find them appealing. The thing I find most difficult is encouraging people to buy from an unknown brand, but I've tried to make things work. But when I launch my website, I guess people can see for themselves.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Now there's an issue. How does a new cricket company gain the trust of customers. There have to be people out there willing to try the products before this happens. I'll be honest, I am starting my own brand, as some people may know. I've designed the products myself and hopefully people find them appealing. The thing I find most difficult is encouraging people to buy from an unknown brand, but I've tried to make things work. But when I launch my website, I guess people can see for themselves.

Best bet, go simple.

Anything that could irritate customers or potential customers is a negetive effect on any business.

Nothing too eye catching, nice simple colours which look good, things well placed and well worded.

To gain customers trust, i would say that the batmaker should be well known, although there are a lot of newer ones starting out. Kookaburra etc dont hand make thier bats, so they aren't as high quality, i'd say Ricky P would have his hand crafted but the ones you and i buy aren't.

Get customer feedback (Dont hassle, just ask in an email if they've bought something) and those who do, you can choose bits and bats to put on the site, maybe underneath your banner, have a customer quote, obviously the good ones only.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
- Friends that have tried the product- aswell as proper reviews
- Design- has to look nice or be well designed, has to have a good USP or frankly i'm not interested, i'll stick to something i already know is good.
- Price- very important, if a product is cheaper than competitors it will gain interest
- Customer Service- If you get treated like you're worthless by the company you're not gonna go back.

That should do it i reckon. Have them things nailed down and you should get some success.

AbBh

Panel of Selectors

blah blah blah blah

The hot chick advert always works. Imagine a bat that scores runs and chicks.

Users who are viewing this thread