When will you take batting powerplay?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Batting powerplay is proving to be a tricky selection for captains. Obviously Saffers enjoyed run with it but were found wanting in second ODI in their series with Aussies. Today Indians delayed the powerplay when Yuvi and Raina were going great guns and end up scoring nothing when thwy actually took it.

Ao when will you as a captain pick one while chasing or batting first?

From start of 41st over to start of over 46.

It would change if I was chasing.

Whener a good partnership is developing IMO. Might as well take advantage of the situation. We should have taken it when Raina and UV were batting.

Taking powerplay when Sehwag is at crease is useless. I will never take it when hes at crease.

Taking powerplay when Sehwag is at crease is useless. I will never take it when hes at crease.

Yeah, he doesn't even care who the bowler is, he's unlikely to care where the fielders are.

It depends wether your chasing or not. Around the 40th over mark if ur chasing a score say 150+ odd. But if i was batting first, defiently after the first 10 overs, keep the field up as much as possible. 15 overs can bring a big total

I'll wait till 30th over and if a wkt falls after 30th over, will send one or two tailenders as pinch hitters or lower order all rounders to do the hitting after taking the powerplay after the wkt falls.

Has this changed? I thought the fielding captain chose the powerplays but have argued for some time that the batting team should be able to.

Has this changed? I thought the fielding captain chose the powerplays but have argued for some time that the batting team should be able to.
Yup, it's changed. Under the new rules, there are there powerplays:

1. Mandatory first 10 overs PowerPlay
2. Five over PowerPlay that the fielding team chooses.
3. Five over PowerPlay that the batting team chooses.

I actually like the Batting powerplay. Has given a new dimension to a run chase, and made the South Africa-Australia series incredibly exciting. There were times were South Africa looked completely out of the run chase, but then took the batting powerplay with Morkel at the crease and pulled off a win. Has definitely improved ODi cricket I think. I think as soon as your biggest hitter is settled you take the powerplay, so for England that'd be Flintoff or Pietersen, and South Africa have Morkel. Just depends on who the team is, and the situation, I don't think you can say you're going to take it at a set time every match, as situation can deem it fit to take it at different stages. I like it's introduction into the game though.

This is why I was barracking for the batting side to have a powerplay. Why on earth we gave the fielding side 2 of them is beyond me.

Anyway all depends on the team and situation. For teams like SA where they have a big hitter coming in late then using the powerplay when he comes in will more often than not work. For teams like Australia it seems they need it when a partnership is set and during the middle overs to give some of the players a rocket up their ass to get a move on.

It depends on the situation. If i've got a player like McCullum, Sehwag, Jayasuriya etc bashing it around a bit and we're no wickets down, why not go for it straight away.

In chases I feel keeping it as long as possible is good. If the rate starts to climb you can take it and take the momentum back.

Normal cases, probably at the 40-43 over mark. There's no use taking it with tailenders out there, so earlier if wickets tumble early.

Users who are viewing this thread