Who'll have the best career?

Who'll have the best career

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of the above, probably Parnell.

Peter Siddle perhaps deserves to be up there? Or is he too old?

He's to old. Sharma and Roach are 21, Southee and Parnell are 20 and Aamer's 17, I just wanted to keep it in this sort of age range.

Yea I do, but I fail to see how that's bias? First of Southee is seven months older, so I don't see the point of bringing that up?

Southee's a swing bowler, and a dam fine one at that. I fail to see why it matters that Parnell bowls 5k's quicker on average, Southee can quite comfortably hit 135-138 so that's quick enough.

As for their records, Parnell's played seven ODI's and averages 22 with an RPO of six He's benefited from a few games where he's picked up wickets at the death. Southee after 12 games averaged 24 with the ball and had a RPO of just over five, he also picked up man of the series against England in his first ODI series, the point being a record after that many games means nothing, I really don't see how you can say Parnell's record after seven ODI games show's he's a better bowler.

If you look at their first-class records Southee's is more impressive, he's picked up 83 FC wickets at 30 (it's actually 91 now as he just picked up 8-27 on Tuesday for ND). Parnell has picked up 49 at 33 with a higher strike-rate and he's never picked up a five wicket bag.

Parnell's probably a better batsmen yes, but I'm guessing you didn't catch the recent ODI's between Pakistan and New Zealand, Southee's fielding was really good, he pulled of two stunners one fielding in the covers, he's far from a poor fielder.

Tbh I really can't see why rating Southee higher then Parnell is odd?

I would consider Tim Southee a good swing bowler, not a fine swing bowler. Dale Steyn, James Anderson and Zaheer Khan are fine swing bowlers, Southee's not on their level. Southee's pace is quick enough yes, but surely having more pace is a good thing?

Going at a run rate of 6 is really not that bad in the modern era, especially considering he does 90% of his bowling at the top of the innings and the death. He's a class death bowler, so I don't see why you've dismissed him due to the fact he benefited from getting wickets at the death, surely that should be a good thing? =/

Not saying that his record alone makes him a better bowler, but having watched the 2 of them bowl, Parnell just has something special about him. He takes wickets, he's a strike bowler. He's got superb control, he proved that in the T20 WC. His international T20 stats are superb. 11 wickets in 8 games at an average of 17 with an economy at just over 6.

His First Class record is stronger in a weaker competition. Parnell's got a decent FC record after playing in 2 competitions stronger than the one Southee's playing in. He came across to England and played for Kent, and performed very well, picking up 17 wickets at 31.

You're right, I didn't see that series. But I'd still be pretty safe in saying that Parnell's a better fielder, having watched Southee on more than 1 occassion. I never said he was a poor fielder either.

It's not that odd, just abit surprising. From what I've seen, Parnell's been superior to Southee in every way but swing, which we can't really judge given Parnell's not bowled in a Test with a red ball, which generally swings FAR more than the white ball. I'd say given Parnell's action, and the fact that he got abit of reverse in the T20 WC at the death that he'd be capable of swinging the ball almost as well as Southee, but at a better pace and with better control. He's better with the bat and better in the field.

Southee's pace as of right now is pretty good tbh, as your've stated you didn't see the Pakistan one day series you probably haven't seen Southee bowl since the Indian's were here?

Well since then he's actually worked really hard on his action, and he's trimmed down/bulked up. Waqar Younis who was commentating over their said he was really impressed with how Southee's shaped up over the last year and he's no longer carrying that "puppy fat". During that series he actually bowled very well with the new ball, he out bowled Bond in one of the games and had the openers in all sorts of trouble with his out-swingers.

He played his first FC game of the season on Tuesday and picked up 8-27 of 25 overs and even if New Zealand's domestic cricket isn't as strong as South Africa's that's still dam impressive. I watched him bowl his first spell and I've never seen him bowl that well tbh, his pace was up and he went past the bat a good five or six times in the first five overs.

You say Parnell has that something special about him, well the same thing is said about Tim Southee. He was head and shoulders above most player's in youth cricket and he's probably already the best domestic bowler in the country (He picked up the most wickets in his first season of FC cricket).

His spell against Australia last year was fantastic, he out thought both Simon Katich and Matthew Hayden after bowling big in-swingers for a few overs to both of them he got both player's caught behind when he rolled his fingers over the ball and got it to go across them getting the knick. That spell showed he had something about him.

YouTube - Expert Analysis - Tim Nielsen on Tim Southee If your've got the time.

I expect big things from Tim Southee and it's not that I don't rate Wayne Parnell as a prospect I just really think Southee has that extra edge about him, he just really stands out.

Last edited:
For the sake of the WI I hope its Roach. So far he has done well in his international career and did well in his 1st day against Australia. Giving all the batsman trouble and hitting them constantly.
Aamer has impressed wherever he played and he is still the youngest out of the group by a long way. I will say that he will have the best international career out of these 5.

Sharma is on his way down while the other 4 are on their way up. I don't see his career going as well as the other guys. One reason is that he plays in India and for a guy who relies mostly on bounce and getting the ball to raise up and surprise the batsman and in India he will never get that.

Aamer if he follow's Akram's footsteps and not Akhtar and that other drugee's ones.

Aamer for me,even he is too young to think about such a mature bowler.

If I had to draft them then

1) Roach
2) Aamer
3) Parnell
4) Southee
5) Sharma

Roach is by far the most exciting prospect, afraid Aamirs career will be ruined by PCB by asking him to bat and over using him, Parnell will probably have the longest career out of the lot. Southee doesnt get enough game time for me to make a good decision and Sharma is just pure crap.

Guessing on who will have the best career my list is

1) Parnell
2) Roach
3) Aamir
4) Southee
5) Pig anus
6) Sharma

Whenever there's a thread discussing a NZ player you're sure to see King Pietersen come in and talk ████ about them. Honestly dude, just ease off. You're pathetic. If there was a pom on the list you'd rate them as being the top regardless. Howsie rates Southee middle of the pack and he's biased?

I'd agree that Parnell is being over-rated in this thread. I remember seeing him at the Champion's Trophy and I think he took a five for but went for like 80 runs. He was just being pounded around and took wickets from batters hitting out. His RPO is far too high in ODIs despite getting wickets and we've not seen him in any tests yet so it's pretty ridiculous to get all excited about him. Considering he's played no tests he's last on my list if I had to rank them.

The thing is, no one can know how good these players will be, so unless you can predict the future and foresee that Parnell will be the godly bowler you think he is then just shut it.

For the record.
Aamer
Roach
Southee
Sharma
Parnell

Aamer has shown promise with bat and ball and that's why I have him at the top. Roach has amazing pace, I saw him bowl a bit yesterday in the AUSvWI game. It'll be all about him getting the accuracy right and keeping fit and if he does he'll be successful. Southee is tall and gets movement. McGrath like bowler for the future. He'd probably be in the side now if he'd bowl better second innings. He often bowls great early spells but lets it slip away later in the tests. Sharma i'm sure will play more cricket for India but right now he can't make the side and doesn't really move the ball a heck of a lot. Parnell i've not seen enough of so I can't really rate him. From what i've seen and his stats he's expensive indicating he bowls too many four balls and lets pressure off. I don't remember him ever moving the ball noticably but he's not played a test so who knows.

Last edited:
Parnell hadn't bowled since the T20 WC iirc, he was rusty. His best form was seen in the T20 WC when he was excellent. The fact people are getting excited about him is because he's taken to International cricket like a duck to water, taken wickets with relative ease, bowls at 90mph, is already a top class death bowler and has the potential to be a genuine all-rounder.

:laugh Shove off irrotev. I've got nothing against NZ. I happen to rate Shane Bond, Brendon McCullum and Daniel Vettori (in OD cricket) very highly. The biased comment was stupid, but it's fuelled by the fact I personally haven't seen the improvement of Southee that Howsie mentioned in this thread, and hence was basing my opinion on the few glimpses of him I had seen, whereby he wasn't anywhere near as impressive as what I've seen from Parnell. Nothing personal, not a scathing attack on NZ, just my opinion given what I've seen of him.

Also, I'm not so blind-sighted that I rate every Englishman over every other player in the world. Where you've got that load of drivel from I don't know.

Mohammad Aamer for sure.
he had a great start in his career so far in both bowling and batting.
that batting against New Zealand was really fun to watch.

I guess Sharma will be back at some point of time. He has had this problem of "too much expectations" from the Indian audience because they havent seen a guy like him for a long long time. And also he is a very young guy and at this point of time, his mind has been swayed by all the fame, fortune and expectations placed on him.

He will definitely come back and have a long career for India as one of our spearhead fast bowlers. He needs a good coach now and time off the game. Just like the break has helped Sreesanth, a break will help Sharma too if he decides to use it well.

Aamer would be my pick, already bowling 140km/h at 17, who knows what he will clock up when he passes 20. Hes already made an impact at his age and I don't see PCB doing what India did with Pathan, they know how to breed their bowlers.

Sharma and Roach are about even for me, Sharma is in the out of form period that all players go through, if he comes out of it the right way then I expect him to be up there with Aamer. Roach is already up there as the quickest bowler and once Bond and Lee retire, he will be the sole speedster.

Aamer would be my pick, already bowling 140km/h at 17, who knows what he will clock up when he passes 20. Hes already made an impact at his age and I don't see PCB doing what India did with Pathan, they know how to breed their bowlers.

Sharma and Roach are about even for me, Sharma is in the out of form period that all players go through, if he comes out of it the right way then I expect him to be up there with Aamer. Roach is already up there as the quickest bowler and once Bond and Lee retire, he will be the sole speedster.

very rightly said,but still if you have batting talent you must also bat.
PCB will never use him as one of their top order batman like BCCI use and ruin Irfan.

Users who are viewing this thread