Why does career mode feel broken?

aspink3

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Call me old-fashioned, but all I want to do on DBC17 career mode is play test cricket for England.

After many hours of toil playing county cricket, I was delighted to get the call up to make my debut in the away test series vs South Africa. Until this point, I loved pretty much everything about the game. Here are a few things that have gone wrong since making my test debut:

1. Where have all the test players gone? SAF bowling attack was Kleinveldt, de Lange, Petersen & Abbott. Where are Rabada, Morkel, Philander etc... Didn't really feel like a test. England has some strange selections too - Bresnan and Panesar back in the fold? :/

2. I recorded scores of 148 & 25* in my first test, only to find my test average showing as 86.50. My not out score was completely omitted from the records!

3. After scores of 61 & 73 in the second test, i was subsequently DROPPED for the third test. I thought 307 runs in two tests might warrant another game in the side. Especially given no other England player had scored more than 250 at that point.

4. Scotland are top of the test rankings. Need I say any more...

Did I just get a bad draw or are these things normal for career mode? I'd rather know now before I start the whole process again!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Call me old-fashioned, but all I want to do on DBC17 career mode is play test cricket for England.

After many hours of toil playing county cricket, I was delighted to get the call up to make my debut in the away test series vs South Africa. Until this point, I loved pretty much everything about the game. Here are a few things that have gone wrong since making my test debut:

1. Where have all the test players gone? SAF bowling attack was Kleinveldt, de Lange, Petersen & Abbott. Where are Rabada, Morkel, Philander etc... Didn't really feel like a test. England has some strange selections too - Bresnan and Panesar back in the fold? :/

2. I recorded scores of 148 & 25* in my first test, only to find my test average showing as 86.50. My not out score was completely omitted from the records!

3. After scores of 61 & 73 in the second test, i was subsequently DROPPED for the third test. I thought 307 runs in two tests might warrant another game in the side. Especially given no other England player had scored more than 250 at that point.

Did I just get a bad draw or are these things normal for career mode? I'd rather know now before I start the whole process again!
I haven't even touched it after reading people's experiences, I was waiting until patch 4 had been released. There's so much potential and I enjoyed it a lot on 14. But it sounds like it has been overhauled and resulted in a bit of a mess.

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors

Sadly, these are things that most people will come across. Stats are still not fixed. International squads are dynamic in the fact that if they performed well during your career then they would get called up so it's not always a fixed squad of players. The problems will probably not get fixed unfortunately.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
You've definitely done something wrong if Scotland are even appearing in your test rankings...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Unfortunately career mode is broken in DBC 17. When basic and fundamental stats such as batting average or no. of innings are calculated and recorded incorrectly, there's not much to say.

gunit123

County Cricketer
Not even touched career mode due to the above issues.

One thing for sure is that I will learn from my mistakes and not pre-order a DBC game again. I will wait a week or two and seek out genuine reviews.

CCCakumbra

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

They say the chase is better than than the catch...
I had the exact same experiences with it myself. Team selections are a tad weird because of the dynamic lineups. The logic makes no sense.
I finally made the England squads to find Paul Collingwood bats middle order in all formats despite being about 45! Bresnan is in on mine too.

I'm just holding out in the hope that if/when I become England captain there are enough real players left so I can pick a decent team myself.

Scotland were also top of the test rankings on my save at one stage.

I have a winter tour of India coming up which I was really looking forward to - but now I fear what sort of team India will even have out.

Last edited:

kamy100

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Oh dear that does not sound promising. I have just started my career and was looking forward to making it all the way to the test side but might not now bother if there are these issues with the lineups etc.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've not played career so just speculating but have those people complaining about odd line ups checked the stats of the odd players appearing or the so called star players not appearing?

Bottom line, I don't think anyone is playing career totally out of the box so perhaps some of these oddities are a result of inconsistencies in the set up of the community created players.

Especially with the Indian players, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that our good friend raj has e.g. made a kohli linked to some crap player and made a crap player linked to kohli.

I know it's a ball ache but as has been said many many times since dbc14 you should not start ANY mode with community downloaded players or teams without checking them first.

BA messed up lots of fairly basic things in DBC17 (such as stats) which certainly kill career mode anyway. But the dynamic line ups is something that as far as I know works in (licensed) RLL without such glaring selection anomalies. Given the volume of community content, the absolute sabotage of raj's linking approach, the incorrect linking of players ported from dbc14 and the quirky player ratings of lots of people, I would put good money on that being at least a part of the selection issues.

That said, career would still be broken cuz stats.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've not played career so just speculating but have those people complaining about odd line ups checked the stats of the odd players appearing or the so called star players not appearing?

Bottom line, I don't think anyone is playing career totally out of the box so perhaps some of these oddities are a result of inconsistencies in the set up of the community created players.

Especially with the Indian players, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that our good friend raj has e.g. made a kohli linked to some crap player and made a crap player linked to kohli.

I know it's a ball ache but as has been said many many times since dbc14 you should not start ANY mode with community downloaded players or teams without checking them first.

BA messed up lots of fairly basic things in DBC17 (such as stats) which certainly kill career mode anyway. But the dynamic line ups is something that as far as I know works in (licensed) RLL without such glaring selection anomalies. Given the volume of community content, the absolute sabotage of raj's linking approach, the incorrect linking of players ported from dbc14 and the quirky player ratings of lots of people, I would put good money on that being at least a part of the selection issues.

That said, career would still be broken cuz stats.
I don't know how the dynamic lineups and career mode squads are selected but you're spot on about the academy causing what seem like unusual selections. It could be another instance of the programming working fine but the output looking strange - thinking back to the AI field settings before they were improved for patch 4. Most player ratings (overall number) changes if they are edited, e.g. someone might be an 80, you change their mentality and then the overall rating drops to say 60. There's every chance that players like Collingwood or Bresnan, who have been international players, have high ratings and so get called up because they haven't been edited and have retained a higher overall skill rating.

This is Collingwood as default - downloaded from the academy teams, probably kiko's. Root as edited by myself since I have been experimenting with player stats (it rates Root as the best batsman in English domestic) and then Collingwood after changing only his batting mentality.
yAZsJVm.jpg

rE1cu8T.jpg

eeWFvhw.jpg

Last edited:

Cuzer

Club Cricketer
I pre paid for this game, best part of 50 quid with the intention of playing career mode, I stopped playing after a few weeks of launch hoping BA would patch accordingly, reading the above makes my blood boil, they really should be offering refunds if they can't get the fundamental basics of a game right, such an almighty cock up as DBC 14 was streets ahead of anything else
So disappointed this game continues to gather dust in my cupboard and more disappointed as a company I had a lot of time for in BA don't seem to give the proverbial two hoots about fixing the problem with further patches

Utter waste of money hope and expectation!

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
I pre paid for this game, best part of 50 quid with the intention of playing career mode, I stopped playing after a few weeks of launch hoping BA would patch accordingly, reading the above makes my blood boil, they really should be offering refunds if they can't get the fundamental basics of a game right, such an almighty cock up as DBC 14 was streets ahead of anything else
So disappointed this game continues to gather dust in my cupboard and more disappointed as a company I had a lot of time for in BA don't seem to give the proverbial two hoots about fixing the problem with further patches

Utter waste of money hope and expectation!
Worst part is no one from BA is responding whether they will release further patches to revive career mode

D

Deleted member 46200

Worst part is no one from BA is responding whether they will release further patches to revive career mode
That's because everyone by now is on the ignore list... Are you not yet?

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
That's because everyone by now is on the ignore list... Are you not yet?
If everyone are in their ignore list, with whom are they planning to sell their DBC games?

D

Deleted member 46200

If everyone are in their ignore list, with whom are they planning to sell their DBC games?
People not on planet cricket and those very special people who can say what they want and then those that love sub standard games...

Users who are viewing this thread