Why Warne missed out on Test captaincy!

baburao

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Why Warne missed out on Test captaincy
Seven reasons revealed by Cricket Australia

If Shane Warne did not know why he was never chosen as Test captain he does now. Cricket Australia's board outlined seven reasons in August 2000 to prevent him from holding a senior leadership role and they have been revealed in the official history of the organisation.

Not captaining Australia was one of Warne's few regrets in an unmatchable career and the crucial decision was made during the fallout from his texting controversy with an English nurse. Warne was cut as vice-captain, being replaced by Adam Gilchrist, and the board minutes record the reasons behind the move.

* Taught a lesson
* Leadership brings other responsibilities
* Given opportunities and shown that he can't

Read the full article here :-

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/316069.html

Why tell us now?

Wrong choice, he would have been the greatest captain for Australia.

Great Cricket brain, might have kept him out of trouble knowing he had to be responsible, would have captained 7 years, he clearly was the spiritual leader on the field...he was always side by side with Ponting when the heat was on and most of all - he was different, attacking when he did captain the ODI side and was always on the ball on the field.

Was the greatest ever bowler, could/should have been the greatest and most successful ever captain.

It doesn't matter what he does off the field in my opinion.

After Steve Waugh retired Warne should of been made captain because not only is he good on tactics but he has the same sort of ruthlessness that Border and Waugh possessd.

Ponting isn't a great captian lets be honest, he's only been successful because he has a side which could captian itself and if Warne was captain in the 2005 Ashes, Australia may not of lost.

I personally have a feeling that If he got to be skip his bowling would have crashed.
I don't know why though.

As a bowler Shane Warne got his opnion on what field he would like anyway and i think Warney likes to concertrate on the batsmen hes bowling too, there weaknesses etc.. if he was captain he would have to worry about the field, whos bowling next and his mind wont be on getting the batsmen out or fielding in slip.

Good choice to not make him captain.

Well its a good thing he didn't become captain. To many off field dramas.
Pontings is a better captain then what Warne would have been i think. I mean Ponting doesn't need to make any captaincy desicions when hes batting but Warne would have to make then while hes trying to bowl.

i want to know why did Gilly miss out on captaincy.
He was the vice-captain under Steve Waugh.
How on earth did Ponting get it then ?

After Ponting i think Michael Clarke will be the best candidate for captaincy.

Remeber how badly Flinoff did as captain and vice-captain e.g. World Cup. Off the field actions have to be taken into consideration when choosing a captain. It was right not to make him captain

i want to know why did Gilly miss out on captaincy.
He was the vice-captain under Steve Waugh.
How on earth did Ponting get it then ?
Ponting was the obvious choice at the time, in addition to Gilchrist's lack of captaincy talent, Punter was the young superstar who could lead from the front.

Warne was a good captain, but could get very frustrated at times.

It is no surprise at the reasons outlined.

Users who are viewing this thread