Wisden 2010

Banno

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Who do people think will win the Wisden awards this year?

As for 'Leading cricketer in the world' I'd say these are the candidates:

Batsman:

Gautam Gambhir: 727 runs at 90.87 including 4 centuries
Sachin Tendulkar: 541 runs at 67.62 including 2 centuries
Virender Sehwag: 631 runs at 70.11 including 2 centuries, a double century and and a strike rate of over 100.
Tillakaratne Dilshan: 1097 runs at 64.52 including 6 centuries

Bowlers:

Mitchell Johnson: 63 wickets at 27.42
Graeme Swann: 54 wickets at 27.92
Dale Steyn: 22 wickets at 32.86

Allrounder:

Dan Vettori: 779 at 59.92 and 27 at 39.07

I think it will be Gambhir but if you think I have missed someone just say.

There is also the Wisden Cricketers of the Year to chose, you can't win this twice so it rules some players out. Swann will most likely be on it as will Shakib al-Hasan who won the Wisden Test Cricketer of the Year award last year.

The Wisden Five is generally based on the English Summer, so it'll mainly consist of English players. I see the 5 consisting of Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, Michael Clarke, Graham Onions and Jonathan Trott. Have the almanack on Pre-order with Amazon, looking forward to getting it and having a read.

This one will include the Ashes right? Surely Andrew Strauss will make the five, Stuart Broad had just two good bowls.

It should be Gambhir, that's a dominant record. Mitch will probably come second (figuratively), despite winning the ICC award. If it included the SA series he'd win, because of his batting efforts (as well as bowling) there.

KP, the leading cricketer is the one they award to one player, it's relatively new and it can (and retrospectively has been) awarded to the same player more than once. you're thinking of the cricketers of the year.

here's the list here Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dilshan sort of deserves it, but the wisden leading cricketer thing was designed to honour the absolute finest cricketer of the year, I don't think Dilshan's name sits too well with the likes of warne, tendulkar, murali, ponting etc. even hayden and sehwag, while not maybe all-time greats, are at least right up there close to the top, Dilsh is a bit of a journey man type that had an amazing season, and I say that as a huge fan of Dilshan.

Tendulkar is a possibility, but I don't think it's more winter 08/09 and summer 09 (english seasons) that it's based on, and tendulkars best form has been winter 09/10.

I have no idea, mitch had a great winter, terrible summer, didn't stop him winning the ICC award though.

The Wisden Five is generally based on the English Summer, so it'll mainly consist of English players. I see the 5 consisting of Graeme Swann, Stuart Broad, Michael Clarke, Graham Onions and Jonathan Trott. Have the almanack on Pre-order with Amazon, looking forward to getting it and having a read.

Interesting to note this, but I just looked it up, and over the last decade (2000-2009) 25 of the 50 spots have gone to englishmen!

Interesting to note this, but I just looked it up, and over the last decade (2000-2009) 25 of the 50 spots have gone to englishmen!

that's because the wisden cricketers of the year are awarded for performances in england, in the english summer :doh

(they have widened their net to honour overseas performance but this was the traditional focus and remains quite important to it, hence the leading cricketer award being created )

KP, the leading cricketer is the one they award to one player, it's relatively new and it can (and retrospectively has been) awarded to the same player more than once. you're thinking of the cricketers of the year.

here's the list here Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know, that's why I said the Wisden Five, which only allows for a player to be selected once, with Strauss being selected in 2005; and was referring to Gazza saying Strauss would be included in the Five. The first post was a general point regarding the Wisden Five, not a reply to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread