Worst selectorial decision by your country that you have seen.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I go with Dirk Nannes not getting selected for Australia Team.
He's better than many players who played International cricket and I dunno why he isn't migrating to some country whose bowling is weak like India.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
For England i'll add Luke Wright making the test squad for the tour to South Africa recently.

War added 10 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

I dont think Muller was a shocker, he didnt actually bowl that bad, he got crucial wickets at Hobart and at the Gabba he bowled with nice swing. Chris Matthews in 86 and 88 was much worse, even McGrath in 94 vs England was hopeless- didnt even get a single wicket in the 1st test and was dropped.

Thats true, Muller didn't disgrace himself but the question is how did he overtake Kasper, Bichel & Dale in the pecking order for that 99/00 summer initally?.

After the WI tour where Dale had played in Antigua test, AUS went to SRI & Gillespie got his bad injury in the Galle test. Surely Dale deserved a go in the first test on his home ground?

Not sure about MacGill in 05, but he shouldve been tried at least, but our bowlers did a reasonable job but couldnt dismiss England in the first innings for a low score in the 2nd 3rd and 4th tests which hurt us, MacGill was hardly the type of bowler to run through a side on Day 1 or 2. Our batting was to blame in 05, none of them enhanced their reputation.

Yes that was the main reason why AUS lost.

But MacGill should have played since he would exposed England's weakness againts spin & he would have given Warne better consistent support than Tait & declining Dizzy. He should have played at least by the Trent Bridge test.

Robelinda

International Coach
Yep Dale was very unlucky to miss out after 99. No question. Muller did nothing for QLD jump ahead of Bichel, Dale and Kasper, odd selection, seeing as Kasper replaced him for that 3rd test at the WACA, and then Lee replaced Kasper two tests later too.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I find it odd that you criticise MacGill's non-selection in '05, but wanted 4 quicks in all the '09 Tests. That's gotta be a typo right?

Ha well slightly. I reckon 4 seamers should have played in all test expect Cardiff.

If I recall, the '05 wickets were much more quick friendly than the '09 ones. In '09 England wanted dust bowls to exploit our lack of spin class, while in '05 they wanted green tops to avoid Warne's influence.

Dont recall ENG going into the 05 Ashes with any specific pitch preparation tactics to be honest. In 05 the only real quick wicket was Lord's & Oval to a level tbh. All the rest of the pitches where flat - what made ENGs bowlers so effective was the reverse swing they where able to get.

In 09 yea i know for sure before th 1st test in Cardiff ENG definately tried to prepare a dustbowl to try to exploit AUS weakness againt spin that was showing holes in ODI series vs SA & PAK vs Botha, VDM, Afridi, Ajmal. But the pitch turned out to be a utter road. But for the other 4 tests, dont think any specific preparations where made to create dustbowls.

And in my opinion, Hauritz and Hilfy were our 2 best bowlers in '09. There's no way Clark should have played ahead of him for Haury for all the games. They made the right call to play 4 at Headingly, but that's the only ground where they should have done it.

Hauritz bowled ok. But IMO he got lucky that KP was injured for most of the series, since the rest of ENG batting line-up played him wayyy too defensively/circumspectly.

As i mentioned above outside Cardiff, all 4 seamers could have played in the other 4 tests.

Last edited:

Robelinda

International Coach
Agree regarding 05. Even Lord's wasnt that fast, though the entire universe makes way too much out of that Harmy bouncer that hit Ricky, he's been hit plenty of times, no big deal. Srinath got him in 99, so what. Sick of hearing about that 05 ball!

But yes obviously the major factor in England winning was the reverse swing, and the ability for pretty much all the bowlers to have 'on' days every bloody day, it was so much like the 80's WI style pf play where there was no let up ALL day. Quite odd and unexpected to watch in 05. Our batting just didnt cope, our bowlers did an ok job I still think- but too many crazy sessions where we just went for way over 100 runs and couldnt contain their batsmen, especially in the 2nd and 3rd tests.

War

Chairman of Selectors
You should throw in Cork to that particular comment, in fact the farce was that Caddick (93), Gough (94) and Cork (95) being played very few times as a trio despite making debuts in consecutive years and being our best three bowlers of that era. If only the consistent selection applied now had been about then, all three could bowl, field and bat and yet we chopped and changed too much.

Soooo true. But IIRC wasn't Gough injured alot during the 94-99 period?. So that didn't help.

Ealham did ok, I think it's harsh to criticise his selection and especially the Ashes 1997 (105 runs @ 35.00 & 8 wkts @ 23.88).
MA Ealham

8 Tests, 210 runs @ 21.00 & 17 wkts @ 28.71
64 ODIs, 716 runs @ 17.46 & 67 wkts @ 32.79 (ER 4.08)

Ealham was never going to be test quality, i was 8 years old during the 97 Ashes & i could have told you that.:laugh.

So i criticise his selection on the basis that we could have picked a better player.

That was the period when ENG where picking the likes of Ealham & Cork to bat @ 7. It was never going to bring long-term success.

For ODIs several players like Ealham and Hick were dropped way too early for some very ordinary cricketers coming in yet you don't mention that

Actually i did when i said "most ENG ODI selections where usually bad". Ealham should have gone to the 2003 cricket world cup for sure.

The biggest crimes were Giles playing 50+ Tests and Key being given as many Tests as he got.

Thats a bit harsh. Giles was key member of the ENG team between 2000-2006. He wasn't the greatest - but deserved the play 50 tests.

Key deserved to play tests. Right now he should have been on the tour to Bangladesh as Strauss replacement instead of Carberry IMO.

POOR SELECTIONS/POLICIES

Kabir Ali - 5 wkts @ 27.20 and only ONE TEST

I'm gald he never played another test. He played @ Leeds 03 as Harmo's injury replacement & when Harmo returned for the Oval, ENG said bye bye. An utter joke player.

Ian Blackwell

He should have never played tests.

Richard Dawson
James Foster

Well to fair to these two. They only where picked for the 2001 tour to IND given that many of the senior players didn't want to tour IND given that was just around the 9/11 attacks, when people where afraid to tour IND.

But yes Dawson probably shouldn't have toured AUS 2002/03.

Foster is the best glovesman in the country. If Flintoff was a fit player i reckon Foster could have been our # 1 keeper this decade.

Richard Johnson
James Kirtley

Well to be fair to selection IIRC. They where picked as injury replacements during the 2003 summer. The selectors got rid of them fairly quickly too.

Jon Lewis

Like Saggers vs NZ 04. He was definately a horses-for-courses pick vs SRI 06. I remember the talk before the Bridge test, is that the conditions was going to be fairly bowler friendly. But it didn't turn out that way - thus Lewis was poor in that test.

Sajid Mahmood

Intially i was behind his selection since he looked impressive in county cricket & was doing well on England A tours. So i agree with his selection intially. Mahmood's just wasn't international quality when he played.

Mark Saggers

Wasn't he a sort of horses-for-courses pick vs NZ 04?. Didn't see a problem with his selection at the time.

Owais Shah

Nah Shah deserved to be picked intially, he wasted his chances & was rightly dropped.

Dont think he was bad selection at all to be fair vs SA 03.

Chris Tremlett

Nah Tremelett was fine. Vs IND 2007 our entire first choice pace attack was injured, Tremlett did very well in that series.

Injuries is his problem. If he has a good county season for Surrey, he should be in the Ashes squad later this year.

Alec Tudor

His debut was dumb for sure, given he was picked ahead of Caddick in the 98/99 Ashes :doh.

But he had potential, injuries messed him up i'd say.

Shaun Udal

I would say his selection for the tours to PAK/IND 05/06 was justified to be honest. Dont think there was any better back-up spinner/offspinner in the country to Giles at the time.

And for me the worst selection 'crime' between 1988 and 2010 was picking Bicknell in 1993 and again in 2003 for the saffer series, but not picking him inbetween. He was one of the most solid and best pros in the counties and had a good ODI record (24.00 with bat, 26.69 with ball) So he failed against the aussies. It wasn't like players like Capel, Malcolm etc were cementing their places in the side. He could have been our McGrath, we'll never know. But pick me 10-20 better bowlers in the list above

Interesting on Bicknell. I wasn't old enough to see his early test in the 90s. All i remember was his fairly solid performances when picked vs South Africa 2003.

War added 6 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Agree regarding 05. Even Lord's wasnt that fast, though the entire universe makes way too much out of that Harmy bouncer that hit Ricky, he's been hit plenty of times, no big deal. Srinath got him in 99, so what. Sick of hearing about that 05 ball!

:laugh. You know it sir. People tend to remember things from the Ashes alot more.

Right now its the same thing with people making a big issue out of Roach hitting Ponting in the Adelaide test. You would swear Ponting was neverrrr hit before, the way the media was making is making it sound ATM.

But yes obviously the major factor in England winning was the reverse swing, and the ability for pretty much all the bowlers to have 'on' days every bloody day, it was so much like the 80's WI style pf play where there was no let up ALL day. Quite odd and unexpected to watch in 05. Our batting just didnt cope, our bowlers did an ok job I still think- but too many crazy sessions where we just went for way over 100 runs and couldnt contain their batsmen, especially in the 2nd and 3rd tests.

On point like a lazer beam.

Last edited:

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Dude chill you don't have to write a comment for every sentence lol ^

C'mon, be fair to him. He didn't "literally" pick every sentence :p. But I can understand your viewpoint ;)

Haa sry. I just did it for that specific post since i felt i needed to be specific.

Relax pal. You get all hotshot at times. Take a chill pill :)

Users who are viewing this thread