Your Favourite World Cup

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
Heres my List

1992- Was just edge of your seat stuff watching pakistan go on to win it when given no chance by anyone and only gettng through the pools cos a match was rained out

1999- In terms of pure entertainment and for including some of the best players the game has ever seen in 1 tourney this tourney was the best but didnt have the final it deserved(too 1 sided) so this will stay at 2 for me

Now you can only say the World Cups which you have seen,

For Example- Indian Fans cannot Say 1983 when they were born in say 1989 or something.
You have to have been Alive and witnessed the world cup

Last edited:
My two Favourite World Cup are .

Both Time We Won

1999 would be my best, didn't see 92 and bearly remember 96.
But 99 Aus came from no where to win the comp including a very lucky escape in the semi.

It's hard for most of us to say our best World Cup as most of us can only remember the last two or three tops :p

I really enjoyed the World Cup in 2003, and was at the final in 1999 where I met our friend Jeff Thompson for the first time! Great day despite the lack of contest.

I only remember 1999 and 2003. Looking back on 1999 there were a lot of scores around 200-230. There were a lot of great performances from Shane Warne and Steve Waugh especially. 2003 was by far the best and the most vivid in my mind and it was made all the more sweeter by seeing Symonds play out of his skin the whole tournament, and the fact that we won every game.

1. 2003
2. 1999

JamesyJames3 said:
Jeff Thompson
Thomson :p

Although the final was a dissapointment and we made an example out of Pakistan; the semi-final IMO (SA vs Aus) was the best ODI ever played.

1999 was pretty good I think, some real good games. 2003 also not too bad but sadly India lost.

for me, its 1996 WorldCup which is the first ever tournament i watched in cricket :) what an amazing series Tendulkar had in that.. We lost in semis against Lankans... even in that match, climax turned towards SL after Tendulkar's dismissal!

Something i can't forget in that world Cup 96 was,

1) Opening partnership between Sachin & Jadeja against kenya where Tendulkar made 127.

2) Sachin's knock of 137 against Lanka though we lost that match.

3) Vinod Kambli's brilliant rescue against Zimbabwe without which we wud have lost against Zim :p

4) Ind-Pak..... Superb match,

* Jadeja's amazing gameplay against Waquar Younis
* Venkatesh Prasad taking the stumps off dismissing Sohail in very next ball after Sohail showed hands towards Prasad after hitting a boundary.. This delievry still remains in my eyes even now :)

5) Windies Vs Australia... Another amazing match, Richie Richardson was battling almost alone.. He hit even the umpire's head i guess :D Nail biting finish for Aussies.. Unlucky Windies to loos that!

6) Finally, in another semi finals.... Vinod Kambli's tears :( when Lankans win by default due to the overreaction from spectators.

But finals wasn't too interesting as Lankans were top in almost every occassion over Aussies in that!

Last edited:
1996 was the first World Cup I watched and it was the WC which got me into watching cricket.
Some cracking games in that WC,
India-Pakistan Quarters at B`lore, Aus-WIN semi-final at Mohali, Lara`s hundred to knock SA out of the WC, Kenya beating WIN , were some of the classics
It was the first time we saw some real pinch-hitting in the first 15 .

2003 was memorable because India did well but .................. I would like to forget the final.

I still remember the 1996 world cup semifinal between india and srilanka
i hated to watch cricket before that and my favorite program was coming on another channel but my parents wanted to watch cricket so i also watched
that day was friday after watching that match it really got me in to cricket.
Sachin played his best on that day.

Last edited:
2003 and would be the first world cup I was actually into cricket. But I have seen highlights of 1999 and SA vs Aus semi-final was a very good game. But I will remember 2003 because of that partnership between Ponting and Martyn in the final and Symonds 150 (I think) against Pakistan in the first game when we were struggling.

2003 even though I was hardly into cricket back then but I would watch the certain game with my dad.

2003 because of Kenya nearly beating Australia, England nearly beating Australia, England destroying Pakistan, South Africa flopping after much hype, Brett Lee being absolutley sensational throughout, Ponting's hundred in the final.

1975- yes i do remember it, i was at the semi-final West Indies v Pakistan at the Oval.

Users who are viewing this thread