Youth Player Management

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
In my first season with Derbyshire (my files all got wiped) ive found a Re-Gen with an 2nd XI average of 75, so far he seems to be struggling. I know throwing him in as opener isnt smart but I have no better option.

How long do you think it takes for technique nets to have any effect and how do you play your Re-Gens when you first get them, a slow introduction would have been nice but i am playing with Derbyshire

Well I generally send em in at No.5 unless they are openers. Sometimes youths even with massive averages are duds but you should still train him.

What is his form because if it is low then he can improve. If it high or medium and he is failing then it means he hasn't got much better.

So far in 5 games (3 FC, 2 OD) his stats are

180 runs @ 30.00 in FC
14 runs @ 7.00 in OD

His form is 1 star, that was something which I forgot to check, so hopefully he has a future. Ive found that anyone with technique training suffers form slumps.

He has taken alot of catches for me but... very good in the field, not one drop yet

Last edited:
I normally work my youths in the T20 competition, not always possible but I've found that's worked the best.

I'd rest him for the hard games and play him in the easy games in the first season until he gets some good form, all of this whilst giving him technique training. It could be hard in the Derbyshire team anyway but if you are away at Lancashire on a bowlers pitch, then I doubt it will do anything for his form. Also, if he isn't an opener don't chuck him in at the deep end. If he is an attacking player then maybe try him in the 20/20 competition and see how he does. Make sure you don't make him play the difficult games though as his form will plummet. The technique will start effect after a while, but if you want an instant success and maybe to get him into form give him a batting practice instead. Once his form is up, give him a technique to boost his overal cricketing ability in the long term.

Hope this helps. :onpc

It's a tricky one. If I had a solid line up I'd slot him in at 6 or so, as ideally the top 5 will score most of the runs and he could come in and do well at the end. If the team is struggling though, you have nothing to lose by just giving him a go. Obviously if he's doing too badly then put someone else in. The net practice for a while would be good to get his form up as well.

i always leave them until 6 start form (second team)

then bat them opening or 3/4.
you just have to treat them well - in first class start them really defensive until they get to 30 then slowly move them up - also watch hhighlights and support the kid

I have had more than 10 second teamers in my first season make over 1500 in 16 games and get chosen for england within 6 or 7 :p

Im really frustrated at the moment lol

He hit his first 100 and then got injured in the second innings! Then I brought in another youth in Ken Cook and he struck 87 on debut in a OD match (Youth average of 50)

Also Ojha went on international duty after taking 36 wickets at 18.58 :( The rest of my bowlers average over 40!!!

I never understand why Bangladeshi spinner, Elias Sunny. Who averages under 20 in OD cricket and 21 in FC cricket, who has scored 6 hundreds and averages mid 20s with the bat. Has never represented Bangladesh. I don't mind, obviously. But why not?

I agree with Freddy. Any youth players I have got from the start of the season I will try and give them at least a whole season in the second XI. Remember that Technique training does not work whilst they are playing first team cricket. The next year I will then start playing them at 5 or 6 if they have a good average - 20's for bowler or 50+ for a bat.

Need to support them and if they have a slump in form then I'll not play them til it is has picked up in second XI.

Xplosiv actually wrote to me and said that they will improve with more years of technical training and this will happen til the age of 26. After that only their preferences may alter.

Definately watch and support them in their first games though, only way

My youth batsmen was averaging 57, And got defaulted in my team at number 3, so i kept him there.

made a few 50's to keep his average up and ending up playing the whole season and getting selected by England.
That year he averaged 48 in FC. 71 in OD. 11 in T20. 27 in TEST. 54 in ODI.
A year later and his averages are still around the same.

I had technique on him since I first got him.

Users who are viewing this thread