Future is in T20 leagues - Modi

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Lalit Modi, chairman of the Champions League Twenty20's governing council, is certain the tournament will result in the "rapid growth" of club cricket around the world. Modi also said there was a strong chance the Champions League would be taken to non-cricket playing countries as a means to expand the game's reach and get other countries to embrace cricket.

"The Champions League has been developed to embrace club cricket all round the world," he said on the day of the tournament launch in Bangalore. "It's a place where we can find young cricketers who then play for their national sides. The IPL is a great example of a domestic club-level tournament, and similarly nations around the world have club tournaments. The objective here is not to make money, it is to build the game, to build club-level cricket, to find and nurture new talent. Money is not the criteria. The objective here is that we have some of the best players around the world and we hope that in years to come the Champions League comes to symbolise what the UEFA [version] is to football.

"From this year itself the tournaments in countries like Sri Lanka, New Zealand and West Indies will become more competitive. You'll see players who were not participating in domestic tournaments who will now take part and do well. Before, once players graduated from their clubs, they became international players and if at all they went back to their clubs they hardly played a few games. But the rules of the Champions League are that you have to play for your club, and your club must win to participate here. You won't get a chance to be here unless you've not played for your club."

Dean Kino, head of business and legal affairs for the Champions League, said one positive fallout of this competition would be to give context to domestic cricket. "It increases the passion of grassroots cricketers to be involved for their states and provinces. If you look at the interest in the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash in Australia and the IPL over the last six months, you will see that the result of going to the Champions League has been hugely stimulating. At the domestic level it will drive young cricketers to the game and that will build on domestic cricket and make it stronger."

Modi felt there was no better format than Twenty20 to draw new audiences and one way to do so was to broadcast matches across the world in different languages. While the current focus is to take the Champions League to participating nations, there is a definite plan to expand the competition. "That is a definite possibility. The immediate future is that we have South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as leading candidates and the objective would be to move within the participating countries," he said. "But we must make the competition more broadcast-friendly and show it to countries that have never seen cricket before. Like the IPL did, we have to get more women and children hooked onto this game."

The governing council has definite plans to take the tournament on the road, with Modi confirming that future editions will move from country to country. Kino said the concept was to move the competition around as much as possible. "We will look at newer, cricket-playing countries primarily but beyond the next ten years a decision will be taken as to whether it is appropriate to bring the game to non cricket-playing countries. We want to take the grassroots level of cricket to as many countries as possible."

To make the Champions League more prestigious, one change could be to increase the number of participating teams, something the governing council will decide on after the inaugural tournament. Modi and Kino ruled out a home-and-away format, like in the IPL and other domestic tournaments, because of the obvious difficulties in flying teams across the world on a daily basis. "As a global league it is very important to get crickets playing all around the world and give them the opportunity to play on different surfaces, in front of different fans and cultures," Modi said.

The IPL, run by the BCCI, has been extremely successful and Kino was hopeful the Champions League would blossom with the inputs of Cricket Australia and other boards. "The Champions League doesn't arise from the IPL," he said. "Representatives of Cricket Australia, the BCCI and Cricket South Africa talked about the possibility of a Champions League even before the concept of the IPL was invented. We've been talking about this for years and it's been a matter of getting the right time and place to launch. Whereas the IPL certainly helped leverage interest in the event, the Champions League stands by itself as an international event. It becomes the apex of all domestic events around the world; its context and relevance is through domestic events."

Jokes, just found it on Cricinfo. No matter how much we can criticise the mickey mouse format, its the only way we can 'reach' out to non-cricketing nations. But still ...

Last edited:

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
Mickey Mouse format? I haven't seen you saying the same for KFC T20. Infact i think you people hate it beacause it was not thought by you people. Shame on you and death to everyone who have cheap mentality like you.

P

pcfan123

Mickey Mouse format? I haven't seen you saying the same for KFC T20. Infact i think you people hate it beacause it was not thought by you people. Shame on you and death to everyone who have cheap mentality like you.

:eek: .

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
tbh, whether you think this is about the money or not, there is a lot of good that can come out of this.

domestic cricket is falling by the wayside, and if international cricket is to remain healthy it needs domestic cricket to prosper. Wonder how many people from somerset or sussex have watched the english cricket team all their life but never given a sod about their county are now right behind them at this event?

and the IPL launched a few careers, but now that oppertunity is being given to players from all countries. Originally I hoped that one of the lesser teams would win because the money would make such a difference, but I think they've all went and cashed in on short term sponsorship deals which are probably making them more than the prize fund anyway. the type of cash this thing will bring to teams like otago, T&T and wayamba must make this month more lucrative than a normal 5 or 10 year stretch.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Yes, domestic cricket is needed.

Yes, I like the club format, and it's a good way to spread the game of cricket.

But no, Mr. Modi, it is not the future of the game. If used correctly, the only thing it will do is benefit international, and by that I mean ODI and more importantly Test match cricket.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
What people buy is what sells and eventually survive.
I don't see anything wrong in what Mr.Modi said.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Modi is right! If the ICC does not act sharply in stepping up the importance of international cricket (e.g. dumping the draft 2012-2020 FTP and bringing in test championship, giving window for IPL, etc), then this is going to become the only future of cricket where players will opt for these club level cricket and dump international cricket altogether.

Even otherwise, these kinds of cricket will flourish because it will give the money and is sure to be successful even if it features domestic players. And its the best chance for the game to hit markets like America, Europe, etc.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
if by cricket's future he means, cricket will grow in unknown places, like Latin America or America, then i dont see how this league can help cricket grow over there. it wont do ████. unless they plays few games over there, hires big stars and sponsors, and advertise it ...

if by future he means killing international cricket, and make cricket just like soccer or etc, Clubs over Country, then he is damn right, future is in T20 Leagues ...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
if by cricket's future he means, cricket will grow in unknown places, like Latin America or America, then i dont see how this league can help cricket grow over there. it wont do ████. unless they plays few games over there, hires big stars and sponsors, and advertise it ...

if by future he means killing international cricket, and make cricket just like soccer or etc, Clubs over Country, then he is damn right, future is in T20 Leagues ...

Thats what they are planning to do. If they play the Champions League in USA and also include a few teams from the USA to go with it, it could possibly help boost cricket in the country. Maybe tie up with the local sports channels to aggressively promote the league.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Its definitely the best way to draw new nations in, as long as it doesn't get to the point where players are picking Club over Country then I'm not fussed by what he does with the T20 format.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Thats what they are planning to do. If they play the Champions League in USA and also include a few teams from the USA to go with it, it could possibly help boost cricket in the country. Maybe tie up with the local sports channels to aggressively promote the league.
It's only going to spread if its shown on ESPN in the USA more often (or atleast gets a better mention during Sportscenter where I assume cricket isn't covered at all).

That's the best way to do it in my opinion.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Its definitely the best way to draw new nations in, as long as it doesn't get to the point where players are picking Club over Country then I'm not fussed by what he does with the T20 format.

see the thing is, its already becoming like that ..and its just the beginning

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
TBH I like the Champions league a lot more then the IPL, it's a shame they can't scrap the IPL and turn this into the biggest 20/20 tournament.

Regarding his comments, well he's speaking the truth in some of it, and talking out of his ass in other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread