France cheat their way into the World Cup

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Good old Henry, Handballing the ball twice before crossing it to Gallas to knock Ireland out in extra-time.

IMAGINE how furious you'd be if were and Irishman right now, i seriously can't imagine. I was furious when Italy dived to knock out Australia in the 06 World Cup but this is a completely different level. Espeically since the Irish have done so well in a really tough group.

So is the result defineite?? Are the Irish putting anything forward to FIFA? It's a disgrace, if i was in charge I'd at least either replay the game or just have a penalty shoot-out....

Note: Irish jokes are welcome as always.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
I'd expect a suspension, a fine, and a rematch! Absolutely no sportsmanship at all..

Highlander999

ICC President
It's a disgrace. I hope Henry is kicked out of the French team. Used to respect him for his talent, now he'll just be remebered for that hand ball.

I hope a re-match happens, but it won't :(

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
I'd expect a suspension, a fine, and a rematch! Absolutely no sportsmanship at all..

I doubt it though. Remember we are Australians who like a fair game, if something like this happened in our sports, which it never will (AFL, Rugby League) Peoples head would be on the chopping block and actions would be take so it never happens again.

This is soccer, a dog eat dog sport full of moronic rich administation idiots who really would even know how to spell 'fair'.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
While it is terrible sportsmanship, football has, for a long time, been run on the basis that if the ref doesn't see it, it's legal. I doubt much will happen apart from maybe a fine or ban on Henry.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
which it never will (AFL, Rugby League)

I'm fairly sure we can all agree on that point, considering you are actually allowed to handle the ball in those sports! :p. I do know what you are trying to say thought so don't worry.

I think this is the funniest thing I have read all day though;

DaffyBoy on 606: "We should have seen this coming and kept an eye on them: Olympics 2008, French crowned handball champions."

It truly is terrible though, I don't know where I stand on it. It really was one of the worst moments in football for a long time, but is this worse than diving that happens week in week out? I know this is for a matter of World Cup Qualification but I would hope there would be the same outrage had there been a dive to win it.

The worst thing about the actual handball is that he obviously notices the ball is about to go out of play and with his hand keeps the ball in play, knowing what he was doing. I didn't see it live, but how did he celebrate?

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Not the first time and wont be the last. But tough luck to the Irish, they really deserved to go through.

There will be no rematch, maybe a fine and suspension for Henry but a replay is out of the question because it would set a precedent that would very difficult to follow in the future.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
I doubt it though. Remember we are Australians who like a fair game, if something like this happened in our sports, which it never will (AFL, Rugby League) Peoples head would be on the chopping block and actions would be take so it never happens again.

This is soccer, a dog eat dog sport full of moronic rich administation idiots who really would even know how to spell 'fair'.

True, too busy counting their Millions.. :facepalm

Biggy added 4 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Some links.

Handball

Explanation

Anyone know French!? :p

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I just saw it again from Hoops' links and it is actually disgraceful, he physically keeps the ball in with his hand! But if this had happened in say a Championship match I reckon there is no way it would be getting as much press.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't blame Henry whatsoever. It's FIFA and the officials who are to blame. Henry just had what every other striker in that position would have, the instinct to control the ball by whatever means neccessary. I would've done exactly the same thing. The problem lies with the officials. The ref should have seen it, no doubt, and the linesman should've seen that as well as the offside to start with from the free kick.

FIFA are also to blame. I don't understand why when in the Europa League they have officials behind the goal but in these important World Cup Play-off matches they don't. The more officials the more likely the correct decisions will be made. A official behind the goal would have definitely seen it and the goal wouldn't have counted.

I feel sorry for the Irish, and I'd be pissed if I was an Irish fan, but it's going to continue to happen if FIFA don't do anything about it.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Good old Henry, Handballing the ball twice before crossing it to Gallas to knock Ireland out in extra-time.

IMAGINE how furious you'd be if were and Irishman right now, i seriously can't imagine. I was furious when Italy dived to knock out Australia in the 06 World Cup but this is a completely different level. Espeically since the Irish have done so well in a really tough group.

So is the result defineite?? Are the Irish putting anything forward to FIFA? It's a disgrace, if i was in charge I'd at least either replay the game or just have a penalty shoot-out....

Note: Irish jokes are welcome as always.

I can imagine how they feel. Four words:

The Hand of God.

Only, that happened in a quarter final, so it was even worse! If Fifa don't investigate this, they're a bloody disgrace. But then again, we already knew that...

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

I don't blame Henry whatsoever. It's FIFA and the officials who are to blame. Henry just had what every other striker in that position would have, the instinct to control the ball by whatever means neccessary. I would've done exactly the same thing. The problem lies with the officials. The ref should have seen it, no doubt, and the linesman should've seen that as well as the offside to start with from the free kick.

FIFA are also to blame. I don't understand why when in the Europa League they have officials behind the goal but in these important World Cup Play-off matches they don't. The more officials the more likely the correct decisions will be made. A official behind the goal would have definitely seen it and the goal wouldn't have counted.

I feel sorry for the Irish, and I'd be pissed if I was an Irish fan, but it's going to continue to happen if FIFA don't do anything about it.

How can you not blame him? He blatantly controlled the ball with his hand! You're right about Fifa of course.

Bad as Maradona.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Why is it then that you usually see players actually make a point of trying to get their hands out of the way?

Henry, you're a disgrace. I feel really sorry for Ireland, but if this had happened to England, I'd be furious!

Users who are viewing this thread