Champions League Thread (the dawn of time - 2014)

A comprehensive defeat for AC Milan tonight, that gets them back nicely for a few years back. Another one from Rooney's head, and then a second one rounding off a great move. Utd are looking fantastic - bring on the next opponent!

Beckham looked England class - crosses like that are priceless and his workrate was good as well.

Last edited:
Milan missing Pato i guess. Surprised they didn't bring Mancini in their squad to OT, his pace could have been useful.

I really don't think Pato or Nesta would have made any difference. Countless misspass, no possesions, nothing. Milan were absolutely terrible tonight. Milan were looking good in the first half and that also for 25 -30 mins, after that they just forgot what is football. Beckham and Seedrof should have played from the very begining, with that kind of quality passes and curl, Milan may have scored few. United really played an excellent football. Rooney needs to be stopped now :p

I really think, Pirlo should really consider leaving Milan and join Chelsea and maybe it was Leoanrdo's last match as well.

Madrid are out and that a wonderful news :happy Where is Vaughan ?? i am really keen to listen to his excuse this time :p

I really don't think Pato or Nesta would have made any difference. Countless misspass, no possesions, nothing. Milan were absolutely terrible tonight. Milan were looking good in the first half and that also for 25 -30 mins, after that they just forgot what is football. United really played an excellent football. Rooney needs to be stopped now :p

I really think, Pirlo should really consider leaving MIoan and join Chelsea and maybe it was Leoanrdo's last match as well.

Madrid are out and that a wonderful news :happy Where is Vaughan ?? i am really keen to listen to his excuse this time :p

Man Utd in, Ronaldo out. Told you you shoulda stayed, Mr Ronaldo! You're right about Pato as well - wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Man Utd in, Ronaldo out. Told you you shoulda stayed, Mr Ronaldo! You're right about Pato as well - wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Didn't I mentioned earlier, Madrid will be much worse with inclusion of Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and others. History witnessed, whenever a player has joined Madrid, he has lost his all touch.

Ego clash, no one know where to play :laugh

I am extremely happy :banana2

What are you guys on about? Compared to last season this season has been a massive improvement. We were crushed last season by Liverpool.

I think its fair to say the damage was done in the first leg and Lyon were only looking for the away goal. They played well though, particularly in the 2nd half. If only we had taken all our chances in the first half.

Anyways thankfully Milan are out as well, the side closest to our nine titles.

How long has it been since they got past the first knockout round, never mind won it.

That's six years in a row now.

It is six years but we had our share of bad luck in knockout football. Otherwise I am very pleased with how the team has gelled this season. Ronaldo has the best record in Europe in terms of goals scored per minutes played.

And we won our last title in 2002, which isn't that long ago because I remember it well.

Real Madrid still trying the relive that "Galactico era" crap. They need camn down & build a team up & stop spending crazily on every big player.

Looked at how they axed Capello when they won the league a few years back, just because he wasn't making Madrid play "sexy football" :doh

Real Madrid still trying the relive that "Galactico era" crap. They need camn down & build a team up & stop spending crazily on every big player.

Looked at how they axed Capello when they won the league a few years back, just because he wasn't making Madrid play "sexy football" :doh

With all due respect to Capello I would rather have lost the title that season than having to go through the torture of playing three defensive midfielders game after game.

Yeah, they should have kept Capello.

Sacked him after winning the title was ridiculous, especially after he'd also won the title in 1996/97 for them, in his first spell. He deserved much better treatment, since they were also unlucky to go out to Bayern and probably wouldn't have if Carlos hadn't been caught napping by Salihamidzic.

Auwais added 2 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

With all due respect to Capello I would rather have lost the title that season than having to go through the torture of playing three defensive midfielders game after game.
Three?

He used Emerson and Diarra a lot but who was the other one?

3?. If i recall correctly that 2006/07 season the team looked something like this regularly:

-------------------------------RVN---------------------------------------

Robinho---------------------Raul----------------------------------Beckham

---------------------Gago---------Diarra----------------------------------

Carlos---------------Helguera----------Cannavaro-------------------Ramos

4-2-3-1 formation, with only 2 defensive mid-fielders. That tight formation worked for that season, since between 02/03 to 05/06 Real where all over the place in La Liga. Who knows maybe Capello could have chosen to be more expansive the next season, but the got rid of him so stupidly.

He used Gago, Diarra and Emerson at a time as well. Gago used to be alternative for Guti at the time.

We dint win the title that season, Barca lost it. What Capello did bring into the squad was discipline which was lacking in previous seasons. But there was no way we could continue playing like that.

Regardless its pointless talking about the past. Overall I am happy with Pellegrini's job this season and have improved drastically for last season. Knockout football is a bit of a lottery and can often dilute the bigger picture. I know Marca want him out, but then thats Marca for you.

Last edited:
I like milan and have actually followed them for a number of years, and even I'll admit that man u were simply too good and there's nothing they could have done. Last time, milan had kaka, who was the best player in the world at the time, now rooney is the best player in the world, that's the long and short of it.

the one silver lining is real madrid must be a bit sick, they spent 80 mil on the wrong man u player, not a man u fan but i hope they win it and I hope ronaldo realises just what a prat he's been.

Users who are viewing this thread