Who to open for England?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^This is probably the 7000th time that has been said about Bell over the course of his career. A bit like watching a cockroach in a nuclear meltdown...everyone thinks he must die off sooner or later. 2005 Ashes was the first time I can remember Bell getting lambasted for technique and mental issues, and yet he's still hanging around. It was only a year or 2 ago that he was an absolute star after playing well against SA, Aus, India, SL. Now he's crap again. Swings and roundabouts for Mr Bell.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
They said he wouldn't score any runs opening up in ODI cricket either. The guy is quite clearly not being replaced in the England team for a while.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Bell's averaged 30 in the Test team in the last year, Strauss retired with a similar record.

He won't be replaced for a while, because of the reputation he has somehow gained for being 'excellent to watch.' Suggesting that he's anything other than a very average International cricketer is madness though. Sure, he'll average 200 or something when the pressure isn't on, but as soon as it is, he folds like a house of cards.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Well not only that, but he's going to be kept because he's one of the senior players now. If England went in with Cook, Trott and 4 kids into next years Ashes (or even the upcoming India tour) I think there would be some concerns.

Owzat

International Coach
They said he wouldn't score any runs opening up in ODI cricket either. The guy is quite clearly not being replaced in the England team for a while.

You wonder how much of that is what the C5 team swoon over constantly. They love him, his technique, probably the taste of his *ahem* they go OTT so much.

Personally I don't care who's in the side as long as they are performing and there is no evidence/suggestion that players are "undroppable". Sadly there is a lot of evidence to suggest some are, took a retirement for Strauss' form to see him out of the side and KP had to throw a major and very public hissy fit.

Users who are viewing this thread