Mubarak and Tharanga

aussie1st said:
If hes a dasher then Mark Richardson must also be a dasher! Upul has a SR of 68.97 in ODIs not exactly what I would call a dasher. He may have been a dasher in grade cricket but in ODIs he has been painfully slow. During the VB series this was very evident.
Fair point! I was talking out of his performances in the U 19 World Cup in Bangladesh. and he scored pretty quickly in the few matches he played against India (oh well! who doesn't?) Did not see much of the VB series.

Well he must be finding it much harder in the higher level of the game. Same guys will breeze through to the top level others will struggle.
I did see some evidence of agression in his shots but that was after 20 odd dot balls. He definitely is suited to test cricket though.

Actually Bala is partially correct. He is actually a pretty quick scorer. You could see in the England game he wanted to get on with it. He likes playing his shots. He is pretty aggressive.

Lots of players want to get on with it. Martyn, Sangakkara etc all want to go on with it but you wouldn't call them dashers. Just looking at Upul SR this match it got as low as 40. His overall SR in test 50 odd. Looks like another Katich for mind. Lots of dots balls then he goes for it.

Of course every one wants to get on with it. The point is the bat should meet the ball. Mark Richardson! He was from a different universe.

Thats why I said partially correct :/

He isn't that slow is all im saying.

He takes his time to get in but then accelerates.

Martyn is basically like that yet has the same SR as Ponting in ODIs. He appears slow to start with but picks it up majorly. Upul probably tries to pick it up but gets out hence such a low SR. Similar to Katich and his low SR.

Tharanga is quite new to the scene, and i feel the the SL cricket board is doing very little, besides hiring foreign coaches.

You've got some very raw talent but due to the worsening political conditions, and increasing corruption...it is very difficult to get the best out of players.

Its in a some-what similar state to WICB, but slighly better.

I feel Jayasurya coming back will help them cool down a bit, and try focussing on improving. May be try county in England?

cricket_lover said:
Tharanga is quite new to the scene, and i feel the the SL cricket board is doing very little, besides hiring foreign coaches.

You've got some very raw talent but due to the worsening political conditions, and increasing corruption...it is very difficult to get the best out of players.

Its in a some-what similar state to WICB, but slighly better.

I feel Jayasurya coming back will help them cool down a bit, and try focussing on improving. May be try county in England?
Jayasuriya did ham out with Somerset, last time around. Gunawardene is a better option IMO.

Stuff Mubarak and Tharanga get that Vandort clown back in. Remember when he score 40 odd in the VB series against Australia with a strike rate close to 35 and he coundn't pick the wrongun. Priceless.

can u ppl clear me ? when if i first saw jehan mubarak it was against pakistan in sharjah cup last time(he dropped younis kahn all important catch) he batted a 4 or 5th what the hell i s he doing at the top!

Sri Lanka are desperate for openers and with their current squad this is all they've got. Unless you want the 2 duck Vandort opening.

Mubarak opening the batting for SriLanka???? Never in hell.
Tharanga- looks good.
I think Lankans must try something different like promoting Dilshan to the opening position.

Well they definitely need to find another opener to support Tharanga. Dilshan appears wasted where he bats so that might be a good move giving him more time.

Bong!

I dont know why are people overlooking Avishka Gunawardene. He led the Sri Lanka A team in the recent Eurasia Cup and has been scoring pretty well. He is a born opener!

Users who are viewing this thread