What do you mean by stat tracking?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Though not stat tracking related, in response to you Chief I guess the common approach these days is difficulty sliders. It would be nice if with sliders people could essentially customise their own difficulties in the areas they need to provide a relative level of challenge.

D

Dutch

Though not stat tracking related, in response to you Chief I guess the common approach these days is difficulty sliders. It would be nice if with sliders people could essentially customise their own difficulties in the areas they need to provide a relative level of challenge.

Excellent idea. In that way you could have a slider indicating a legside or offside preference, an attacking or defensive preference much in the way ICC works. Then you could really attack a bowlers weaker qualities and tactically defend their stronger points...that would make bowling and fielding so much more enjoyable. Even if you couldnt edit it it would make so much sense to allow batsmen to play with different qualities, just not in how big or not the timing segement is but through having a preference to play defensive legside and attacking offside or whatever. Some players will always try to hook, others will just leave it etcetera. To quote Bumble in IC2010 "there are some good hookers in the game!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

You can do that exact same thing in Rugby Challenge right down to how a player behaves as an individual for things like offloads, tackles and so forth. You essentially can program how easy (or difficult) you make each player on the teams, so you can set a whole team to play a specific way to directly counter the way you play a game of rugby.

Would be perfect for a cricket game.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
At a basic level, it would allow people to merely determine things like how powerful the AI hits the ball, how risky they take runs/try and score quickly etc... How often they edge the ball...

Whilst for the user they could set similar settings, so that in essence they could reduce the power of their own players shots, or make it really likely they themselves will edge/play and miss/etc if mistiming shots ever so slightly. Would allow for the game to be immensely difficult for people who have mastered it whilst simultaneously being able to make it easier for people who want a more arcade experience. If this extended to local multiplayer, it would also allow an experience player to play someone who hadn't played the game before in a contest that could still be even. This in turn would potentially make it easier to widen the scope of the game in terms of word of mouth and first hand experience.

To go back to stat tracking though, I and a mate have often played the more recent cricket games on the same team. Would be nice if at the end of a series it potentially gave player 1's averages and player 2's averages as seperate. Batting with a mate is an excellent way to play the game. Likewise when bowling the option to either field off your own bowling/your mate fields should be there. Sometimes we'd always rather field our own bowling so the other person can do something in that over (I dunno what... be useful and roll a joint or something :spy )

SpiderSlatts

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
For me, stats tracking is really only useful in the context of a career or tournament mode.

In a tournament I want to be able to see who's been making runs, taking wickets, the averages etc etc. It would also be nice to have team statistics such as win loss ratios and match form.

Career mode is where statistics really flourish though, as lets face it, when choosing our team we all enjoy being armchair selectors. A long career mode though needs multiple layers, including domestic seasons and tours. This would allow gamers to judge players on their seasonal form. As someone commented before, cricket captain/coach are great examples of this.

The suggestion of having "form" is a top, top idea! On the AC2013 website I've been discussing the idea of having a team momentum bar linked to player confidence and user controlled match strategy. Including form for players would be a fantastic way of allowing the momentum from one game to carry over into another in the series or tournament.

This is really important because at local and international cricket, the game is heavily influenced by confidence and form. Look at Shaun Marsh last summer; a talented cricketer no doubt, but successive low scores dented his confidence and form so each time he came out to bat he was already mentally walking back to the pavilion.

spooony

Club Captain
The averages you add and the runs, matches bowling etc etc must increase/decrease as the user play the game. Run for run balll for ball catch for catch

or the Useer can start at 0 and then start with a clean slate but bring that piece of commentary back which use to congrats you for breaking Lara's record

sohamhzr

School Cricketer
An up to date set of stats till a specified date, and then constant updating which every match played within the game and also, ratings, based on these stats in the form of Stars, or Ranks

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Yeah, I think it was for c2k5. But, it would only work if the player names are exactly same in the roster as in ci?

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
I would love a career mode, like in the "Road to the Show" mode in MLB: The Show. In cricket, it would be you starting out as a 18 year-old, perhaps even starting out in the Under-20's or something like that. As your stats improve, you get called up to the State squad, and if you perform well enough there, you get into the national side.

But I'd even be happy enough with stats tracking of the international players. At minimum, we should start out with that player's official statistics, and as we play the game, they change. I would like to monitor the players number of 100's and 50's, number of innings, and [crucially] their average in all formats of the game: T20, ODI's and Tests. I salivate at the idea of bringing up a batmen's average if he is going through a slump, or show concern when his average slumps, or celebrate when he brings up his 30th Test century. Similarly for bowlers - let us see their bowling average, number of wickets in all formats, and their best figures in a Test/ODI/T20.

People love stats. It's what drives us. It's what the commentators always talk about. We love to see them change over time. We marvel at upward and downward trends - a "batting slump" or the "fastest player to take 50 wickets". Stats tracking would not only overwhelmingly enrich a cricket game, dramatically increasing it's replayability and depth, but it would make it real for humans. Please include it.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
For me stats tracking means whatever cricinfo has been doing with collecting all the information about the player's accomplishments on the field.

Also specific stats tracking for a single tour or tournament. For example, a test tournament will keep record of how many runs each player has scored or how many wickets has he taken. While a t20 tournament additionally keeps track of number of 6's, longest six, lowest economy rate etc.

This allows the player to be more involved in the tournament and feel each innings is an integral part of a bigger picture, wanting do better than the best and stay ahead of competition.

Additionally, user stats such as total number of hours played, runs scored, wickets taken, boundaries hit, etc should be exciting too.

Params7

International Cricketer
I don't know how stat tracking could work with exhibition matches because mostly people play this for fun, with friends and a lot of matches quit before they are completed. There's easy-medium-hard difficulties where again stats won't mean anything for exhibitions.

Online stat tracking is a must, maybe bring in ranked and unranked modes. Similar to FIFA games online profile. Offline, it can work in the context of tournaments and series in which difficulty/settings can't be modified. The player can regularly check his performance there. This can actually work as a blueprint for a potential career mode.

rocky_g

International Cricketer
This is an excellent point, and one that is raised perennially.

Could you specify *exactly* what you mean by this: in the past when questioned on it, different people meant slightly different things by this, and I want to make sure we understand all potential aspects:
Are we talking about tracking the stats of PLAYERS across a series/tournament?
Updating stats in the game, adding a player's runs to their all-time total?
Tracking the USER's stats during play?
The game keeps tabs on a players innings in the context of their CAREER stats: IE, if a player goes into a game on 980 career runs and scores 20, the game recognises his 1000th run?

Any help you guys can give me identifying specifically ALL of the "stat-tracking" that you expect now means a better chance you won't be disappointed come release! It's almost worth it's OWN thread. ;-)

That would be awesome. :thumbs

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
I would say include some default stats for each players from cricinfo. then keep them updated as we play. but only consider the 20/50/test matches. user should have the option of including his stats as part of the default stats or not after the end of each game. but also have the option to just look at the stats for the matches the user himself played.

when it comes to tournaments and series do the stats in the same way but also show separate stats just for that particular tournament. similarly user should have the option to include those stats as part of the default stats or not. there should be one choice for the whole tournament either yes or no.

a small thing you can add is the team/players performance in previous occurrences of the same tournament. like lets say for a world cup...player or team's previously played world cup tournament record should show up (not hugely important but should be nice to see)

now for the exhibition matches (like 5,10,30,40 overs) it should have completely separate stats and in no way should be added to default stats.

next thing you can include is a team's recent performance for any form of the game. for example australia has own the last 3 test matches out of 5 (played by the user/computer). someone already talked about players' forms based on similar stats also which you can implement.

and finally, i would like to see some stadium/pitch stats. for example in a particular stadium on a certain kind of pitch, in the last 7 outta 10 games team batting first won the match or the team batting under lights/or chasing won it. and these will not be just stats...they should really impact the game. for example lets say batting becomes very hard (harder to time)under the lights in this stadium or spinners spin the ball a great deal at night. knowing things like that before the toss will greatly help and make the toss/decisions/strategizing that much important. these little stuffs enhances the game greatly.

edit: of course i understand there are infinite amount of possibilities, but If you guys plan to stick to making video games simulation of this immensely complicated sport, at least get the most basic stat related stuffs right and then you can build on them in subsequent versions (fingers crossed). some people might not be much into stats but i do not think even they will complain about these interesting stats showing up in the middle of the game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread